cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need HD 2 receiver Sat System

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for recommendations for a tripod dish setup for 2 HD receivers.

Bill I tried to pm you.

Mike
Mike
2006 Crossroads Cruiser 29RK
2011 Dodge Cummins Crew Cab 3500 DRW Long Bed
Harley (Miniature Schnauzer)
Lucy (1/2 Miniature Schnauzer 1/2 ?)
Abby Female Eclectus Parrot
21 REPLIES 21

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first post here, at RV.NET:

Directv will do RV installs -- they did mine -- just make sure you have your tripod on-hand because they will not provide that for you and they have to set everything up so it is working well enough for them to get good enough signals to register your boxes. Get your tripod setup from www.tv4rv.com.

I had them set me up with an HR-24 in the bunkhouse and an H-25 in the living room/bedroom. They also ran a line to outside so I can swap my H-25 around when I want to watch TV under the awning. So, I have Directv HD in four locations in my trailer -- the bunkhouse, outside, living room and bedroom -- my living room TV swivels to become the bedroom TV. All with two receivers via SWM. Plus, the DVR is accessible at all locations.

The H-25 is a wonderful receiver because it is very small and you can set it up to work with the RF remote. It can be stashed in so many places, out of sight. As far as my dish and tripod setup, I couldn't be happier with everything I have bought from tv4rv. Depending on how much sky I have available to me, I am usually setup within ten minutes. Tv4rv's aiming system usually has me on all three satellites before I go inside to check signal strength, then all I have left is some fine tuning to get 101 to the high 90s, while the other two satellites just fall into place in the high 80s to lower 90s. I always set my skew before I aim my dish.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
+1 for TV4RV.com HD Combo Kit. Everything needed to get you going except the Slimline. Add or make your own Folding Arm Kit. He sells a lot accessories too. His modified tripod kit is very easy to level and aim. He has a clever aiming system used with the included comapss.

Phone apps and a good meter make it a snap. I use Android DishPointer (for site survey) and SatelliteFinder (for the settings)and a SatLook Lite meter. An expensive yet clever gizmo called Align-a-Site will get you a shot through seemingly impossible tree canopies. I found a shot through giant redwoods in Trinidad, CA. DirecTV told the owner of the park it was not possible. I showed him differently.

X2 on the TV4RV.COM. Call the number and the fellow that answers can give you a lot of information to help set up your system.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
All DirecTV receivers that start with an H support HD. An HR receiver is a HD DVR.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
Here is one heck of a deal for all you need. Dish, SWM LNB, PI and splitter. FREE shipping.

eBay

The splitter will only support two boxes.

Here's one with an 8-way splitter. $53 plus $22 shipping.

eBay

These prices are pretty good. If me, I wouldn't wait to spring. Maybe a fall clearance sale going on.

Ok, so the dishes you listed will support HD receivers?
Mike

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Are you starting from scratch or do you have DirecTV at home? DirecTV does not do RV installs but may have approved RV installers that can obtain equipment. Most people just snatch a box from home and take it with them. Home installs are much cheaper. If you are a full-timer, I'd go with an HR34 Genie with C31 Clients for other locations. it will record five programs at once. They must be hard-wired. HR44 Genie's are hitting the street now in some areas. They have WiFi clients which eliminates the need for cable runs.

If you don't want to record, you can go with H25's.

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
Here is one heck of a deal for all you need. Dish, SWM LNB, PI and splitter. FREE shipping.

eBay

eBay

These prices are pretty good. If me, I wouldn't wait to spring. Maybe a fall clearance sale going on.

Good Prices, what receivers do you recommend?
Mike

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
Keep your eyes out for an installer. They can set you up cheap. What king of receivers do you have? Newer ones are SWM only. That has been covered over and over here. I recommend going the SWM route. In addition to the Slimeline dish, you'll need a SWM LNB. An SL3s will see the 99, 101 and 103. An SL5s will add the 110 and 119. Only needed if Locals where you are on the 119 and you want them. Some music channels will be lost too. I use an SL3s.

Go to eBay and for 20-30 bucks you can pick up an SL3s SWM LNB, a 21v PI (power inserter) and a DirecTV "green label" power passing splitter. Not needed if using only one box. You have all winter to score a good price.

Here's a pretty good schematic. Use the left side for a SWM dish. Ignore most of the gizmos. For one box you just need a PI between the box and the dish, no splitter. For two or more you'll need a splitter with the PI SOMEWHERE inline. If behind the splitter it must be through the RED connector or in front as shown. For two boxes I'd connect the PI to the RED an the boxes to any of the others.

Schematic

thank you, I do not have any receivers yet. What do you recommend?
Mike

schneid
Explorer
Explorer

eBay

eBay

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your eyes out for an installer. They can set you up cheap. What king of receivers do you have? Newer ones are SWM only. That has been covered over and over here. I recommend going the SWM route. In addition to the Slimeline dish, you'll need a SWM LNB. An SL3s will see the 99, 101 and 103. An SL5s will add the 110 and 119. Only needed if Locals where you are on the 119 and you want them. Some music channels will be lost too. I use an SL3s.

Go to eBay and for 20-30 bucks you can pick up an SL3s SWM LNB, a 21v PI (power inserter) and a DirecTV "green label" power passing splitter. Not needed if using only one box. You have all winter to score a good price.

Here's a pretty good schematic. Use the left side for a SWM dish. Ignore most of the gizmos. For one box you just need a PI between the box and the dish, no splitter. For two or more you'll need a splitter with the PI SOMEWHERE inline. If behind the splitter it must be through the RED connector or in front as shown. For two boxes I'd connect the PI to the RED an the boxes to any of the others.

Schematic

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
+1 for TV4RV.com HD Combo Kit. Everything needed to get you going except the Slimline. Add or make your own Folding Arm Kit. He sells a lot accessories too. His modified tripod kit is very easy to level and aim. He has a clever aiming system used with the included comapss.

Phone apps and a good meter make it a snap. I use Android DishPointer (for site survey) and SatelliteFinder (for the settings)and a SatLook Lite meter. An expensive yet clever gizmo called Align-a-Site will get you a shot through seemingly impossible tree canopies. I found a shot through giant redwoods in Trinidad, CA. DirecTV told the owner of the park it was not possible. I showed him differently.

I just ordered the HD combo. Nest spring before our trip I will purchase the HD dish for Directv.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the Winegard Tripod with a Dish 2 Tuner Receiver so we only need one receiver for both TVs.
We have a remote for the main TV and another remote for the bedroom TV but the receiver is in the rear living area.
Like anything after a few tries setting up the Tripod, it has got easy.
I use the Dish Pointer app on my I Phone and a AccuTrak Meter.
We move and setup the Tripod about every 2 weeks so I have got pretty good at it. usually takes about 5 minutes to setup.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish v Direct 2013
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Texas1949
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's no more difficult to setup a tripod for Dish as it is for DirecTV as long as you have enough open sky. Once you have a good plumb and level tripod and have your skew settings correct, finding one satellite will usually bring in the others. It just takes practice. DirecTV's satellites are very close together so you don't need as much clear sky and they are also more centrally located in the US so coverage is not as much of an issue if you travel Coast to Coast.
Dish has a pay as you go service and DirecTV requires a 2 year contract.
I would look more toward which service you prefer and then buy the antenna that works with that service.

Thank you Bill.... I am leaning towards DirectTV. I have used the SD DirectTV and had no issues in set up, but only used one TV, now I want to use 2 TVs in the 5er.
Mike