cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poor t.v reception

kart77
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes tv reception is good. Most of the time tv reception is very very distorted to no reception. I can stand by the tv, hold the end of the cable wire that runs from the back of the tv into the wall jack, and reception is near perfect. I release my touch at the cable end, and then lose what reception we have. It's weird. Almost like i am the antenna while holding the cable end. This make sense to anyone? Has anyone else had this problem? I am baffled.....
10 REPLIES 10

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You have an open shield on that coax somewhere. Look closely at ALL of the F connectors starting at the antenna, the F connector splice in the ceiling at the base of the antenna, at the antenna power supply, swx box, TV, and any others around.. I have seen this before and it will cause all sorts if interesting problems.

Properly shielded coax will change nothing on the reception by grabbing it. That's why it's called a shield.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same problem in my house with a digital antenna - and yes, when you are holding the cable you are the antenna. With the Winegard, as someone has mentioned above, you need to aim that antenna to the direction where the most signals are coming from. It is a matter of aim, scan, see what results, aim again and scan again until you come to the correct direction. At that point you will not have to hold onto the cable to see a good picture. One way to shorten the process is with one of these -
http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/2013/09/adding-digital-antenna-signal-finder.html
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
On our last TT the wire from the antenna to the connection on the roof was no good. I removed the caulking and replaced the end of the wire and everything was good.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace the antenna, use the same type, the Bat-Wing antenna, with the "wing-man" add-on has been shown to be the best RV antenna system there is.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have the antenna 'aimed' correctly?

With the digital signal you have to point head of antenna AT the transponder tower and then scan for available channels.

ALL coax connections need to be clean, proper length of center wire and tight.

Here is one site for finding TV Towers......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on the antenna booster. Using a voltage meter, go up on roof, remove coax from antenna and make sue you are getting 12v signal to the antenna from the booster. Sometimes the coax connection (it is exposed to the elements) at the antenna goes bad. You can also remove the antenna booster wall plate and check coax connections on back side of booster.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

kart77
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the responses......

kart77
Explorer
Explorer
Guys.....
I have tried 3 different cables , still have the same problem...I have the stock winguard antenna...the crank up kind. I have the button on that turns on the green light on the wall plate. I have the tv set to " air"....not " cable ".
On the tv....the signal meter shows maybe 50 percent when i am holding the end of the cable, then when i release my touch, the signal drops very low....sometimes to 0.......

Good Sam RV Club Member

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your antenna is no operating correctly you likely actually ARE the antenna. As mentioned above that usually means bad connections but you will need to look at all possibilities. If you move the cable when you touch it you might be making a bad connection good and when you release the cable it goes back to its bad position. Start by trying to tighten any end of coax you can find to see if it's that simple.
What kind of antenna does you have?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many of the coax connections in RVs are very poorly done. You may have a bad cable.

Do you have the power turned on for your antenna? (usually wall plate)

or conversely are you trying to watch cable with the power on?

or do you have a 3-position switch cable / antenna / off in the wrong position.

I think we need more details of your setup and what you're trying to do.