cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable automatic antennas

scubacouple
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to set up for DISH. Trying to decide which DISH antenna to get. I have 2 TVs in the TT. Would rather have only one coaxial to supply the 2 tvs splitting at the TT to 2 receivers rather than separate lines to each receiver. I am prewired for cable and OTA and would like to just plug into the exterior jack.

Which antenna offers the single line option to run multiple receivers/TVs? Is there an advantage to the antennas that require separate lines for each receiver/TV?

Thanks for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

chrisncary
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

That requires SWM. None of the portable automatic antennas (stipulated by the OP in the heading) are SWM compatible. You CAN run 2 coax cables from the antenna to a SWM8/Power Inserter, then from that point run just 1 cable, but the 2 cables from the antenna to the SWM8 are required.

Brain farted on the automatic stipulation in OPs title. You can hangup an auto box that will do that in HD especially. That's why most of us have an HD dish either on a tripod or sled.
2015 Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF29RS
2015 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab 4x4; B&W RVK3600

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
chrisncary wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
scubacouple wrote:
OK, thanks for the input. I thought I had read about a dish antenna that only required one cable to support 2 receiver/tvs, but may have missed the part about watching the same channel on both. The winegard X2 sounds like a possibility.

on bold. No. Each sat. antenna/dish output can only be controlled by 1 receiver. I do not believe Direct TV can do it either as it is a limitation of the antenna/dish. X2 with 2 receivers will work.

DirecTV absolutely can do it - and I'm watching it right now. DVR with a wireless video bridge connected at the DVR will run 5 more TVs. And no, it does not require a network or phone connection. Everything works except on demand.

That requires SWM. None of the portable automatic antennas (stipulated by the OP in the heading) are SWM compatible. You CAN run 2 coax cables from the antenna to a SWM8/Power Inserter, then from that point run just 1 cable, but the 2 cables from the antenna to the SWM8 are required.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

chrisncary
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
scubacouple wrote:
OK, thanks for the input. I thought I had read about a dish antenna that only required one cable to support 2 receiver/tvs, but may have missed the part about watching the same channel on both. The winegard X2 sounds like a possibility.

on bold. No. Each sat. antenna/dish output can only be controlled by 1 receiver. I do not believe Direct TV can do it either as it is a limitation of the antenna/dish. X2 with 2 receivers will work.

DirecTV absolutely can do it - and I'm watching it right now. DVR with a wireless video bridge connected at the DVR will run 5 more TVs. And no, it does not require a network or phone connection. Everything works except on demand.
2015 Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF29RS
2015 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab 4x4; B&W RVK3600

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winegard Pathway X2. It has outlets for 2 cables so you can watch different programs on 2 different TVs AS LONG AS BOTH CHANNELS COME OFF THE SAME SATELLITE. But at least you can watch different channels.

One cable = 1 TV. One cable does not run 2 TVs.

I believe the X2 is the best of the bunch. For one thing, it allows you to choose between either the Western arc or Eastern arc set of satellites. If the Western arc sats are blocked, just use the Eastern ones, or vice versa.

Dish offers HD programming that can be received by the golf ball sat dishes.

DirecTV does not offer HD programming for them.

Last - I have an app on my Iphone to help me find the satellites so I can position my X2 in a good place to start with. It's called DishformyRV. This app is great. Costs $5.00
Tim

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
scubacouple wrote:

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Go with DirecTv and use a Slimline dish on a tripod. This will give you what you want....other than Dish.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

scubacouple
Explorer
Explorer

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Winegard Pathway X2 would work for you.
E.Lee Galik

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
I have this: http://www.galaxy1.tv/assets/uploads/pdf/quick-reference-guide.pdf

If you only use one cable you will have to watch the same channel on both TVs. There are new Dish Tailgaters that have two outlets for cables...but you will require 2 Sat receivers.
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Your requirements as stated can not be met.