cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question: Facebook as a blog site?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I follow a number of well-laid out and very well written blogs! A blog for me is in the thinking stage. Don't know that I want to spend the time setting one up.

I'm considering restructuring my Facebook site by removing the content that is on it now, give it a new banner, and focus on my travels with "Baby Girl" (my Catahoula Mix rescue). The advantage to using Facebook, as I see it is that I already have it set up and I know how to use it. The fact that I already have 2000+ friends is another consideration.

All comments welcome and certainly appreciated!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
28 REPLIES 28

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:

Can Tumblr blogs be accessed by people who don't have accounts? If they can't they would be far less attractive to us than a Facebook page.

Yes. And pic/video's can be shared easily as each gets a unique URL.

MattontheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO Wordpress has a really fantastic blog platform, and they are free. It can be set up in less than an hour if you're just looking for something simple. For those who aren't into Facebook, as long as the blog is indexed by Google, it will be searchable on the web - no signing in required. For those of your friends who enjoy Facebook, the posts can be shared to your timeline with the click of a button.
Matt

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
I also appreciate all the feedback on this topic. I am looking into blogger and just may do the blogger & facebook as was suggested as it makes sense.
Thank you
Jo

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
For me, setting up a Blog was much easier than using Facebook. I used Google by simply at the top of there search page, click on More and then on Blogger. The setup wizard makes it easy.
I began the blog this year as a way to keep family and friends informed about our travels because so many were asking. Over the year it has "developed" into something I like and it continues to develop.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I occasionally post to Facebook, like Chris I have two different "blogs" that I post to when traveling. A Blogger Account where I post quick one or two photograph posts, and a website (LakeshoreImages) produced using Adobe's Dreamweaver where I post many of my photographs, lots of RV related information, and again, a daily update while traveling with more images than on the blogger site.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisguld...THANK YOU so much for your post! I've been to your Blog. I'm impressed and now I have it bookmarked! You reflect the power of this forum: sharing! Make it a great day!
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

chrisguld
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason to have a blog ...
A blog is forever, a Facebook post has a shelf-life of 2-3 days.
I've been keeping a Blog since 2003 and it is easy to give you a link to my favorite post from 2004 (http://geeksontour.blogspot.com/2004/12/rhythm-of-road.html)
We've had a business Facebook page since 2009, all I can do is give you a link to the page - not to a specific post. (www.facebook.com/geeksontour)
I stick to my original statement ... you need both. The Blog to house your important articles, pictures and links, The facebook page to talk about it,
Chris Guld
"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!"
Full time in our 37' Gulfstream Endura Super C
See our weblog/travelog, at GeeksOnTour.Blogspot.com
RV.net Blogger

Sue,
Have you thought of using a watermark program for the pics you post?

I have had a huge problem with theft of my business photos. I have done Google searches and come up with my marketing photos being used on my competitions websites, advertised as their own work.
I have found my photos at trade shows for the same purpose.

I found a way to curb the theft by watermarking my pictures before I post them.
I use a simple program called Visual Watermark to protect my pics.

It is easy to use and you can custom fit it to anything you want from a BOLD don't steal my pics to a subtle translucent message.

Worth a try!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Explorer
Explorer
Facebook is not "permanent" in the sense that it will be easy for someone to look down and see all that you have posted. The other thing to be aware of with Facebook is that anything that you post on Facebook including photos become the property of Facebook for FB to do with as they please.

FB is a good resource to alert readers to the posts on a blogsite and it works well for promotion.

A site like Blogger (Blogspot) is easy to use and easy to write on and post photos to.

Write it on a blog site and then get involved with Facebook RV groups and promote your blog posts there there. You can even have this happen automatically.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Facebook's recent change to its "privacy policy" means anything you post on facebook can be used by any other person in the world.

Photographs can be used without your explicit permission (you retain copyright but by posting that image to facebook you give usage rights away).

A business could use your image to market itself on facebook without any compensation to you.

Even though you might have your privacy settings at "friends only" if they share or cross-post then your words/images become public. Anyone can use them for any purpose without seeking your permission.

Not a great thing for photographers - their images can be used without acknowledgement.

I've started posting images to my website then providing a link from facebook. Posting fewer images on facebook now.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

chrisguld wrote:
Sorry to tell you this, but I think you need both ... a Blog which is your story, with posts, pictures, and links formatted how you want and that belongs to just you. Check out Blogger.com - it's free and drop-dead simple.
Then, use Facebook and your 2,000 friends to promote your blog. After posting to your Blog, just put a link to it on Facebook.
A blog post can be as long as you want. Several pages of story, complete with multiple pictures. You can't do that in facebook. But Facebook has that awesome reach to your 2,000 friends - if they're interested, they'll click on the link and read your blog post.

I would actually agree with this approach. A blog is a better solution overall for a detailed article or journal, other than short tidbits of info.

Facebook(FB) is better as a marketing tool. Useful for leaving short excerpts linking to your blog. Or even using FB to leave short updates or teasers letting your followers know you'll post a separate full detailed blog entry in the near future.

Personally, I've never liked FB format and actually find it annoying. Don't really enjoy reading anything, other than short bits of info. Preferring a link to another site for the full story.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled the definition of "blog" and came up with the following: a personal website or web page on which an individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis

I certainly appreciate all of the opinions expressed here but when looking at the numbers to get a message out, Facebook wins hands down.
I have 8 friends who have 5000 friends each. I have another dozen who have over 1000. Building a following to a blog is not paramount to me...getting the message out is! Regardless of the way you do the math, Facebook wins again and again.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

docj
Explorer
Explorer
sheltieRV wrote:
Facebook is so yesterday ....

Try Tumblr. It is more blog like, easy to upload from mobile, and anyone under 30 will think you are hip.

At your suggestion I just created a Tumblr account so I could see what it is like. Since our own kids are over 30 and most of our followers on Facebook are well over 60, I'm not sure Tumblr will be all that significant to them. :B

Can Tumblr blogs be accessed by people who don't have accounts? If they can't they would be far less attractive to us than a Facebook page.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
Facebook is so yesterday ....

Try Tumblr. It is more blog like, easy to upload from mobile, and anyone under 30 will think you are hip.