cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Emergency Calls Only" message

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We've had ATT contract cell phone for many years & a little over a year ago I got an ATT GoPhone just for a backup. There have been a couple of times in the past year, on both phones, that we get the above message when trying to call out. We never got this message on previous cells.

The first time it happened on the reg. cell I was trying to call a dr. friend to her cell that I had not used before but she had called us from same #. I thought maybe somehow since she was dr. that was the reason and never thought anymore about it. Then it happened on the GoPhone. I thought I'd forgotten to put more $$ on it, but that was not the case as I was able to use it later. Then today DH tried to call me on main cell and he got same message. He was outside and said he had 4 bars for signal.

Can anyone explain why? Is it the phones -- both are Samsungs (which my previous contract cell was also & we never had this happen), or ATT service? TIA!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup, sometimes when you turn it off and then turn it back on it will log into your "Home" provider's network and work fine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
That happened to me once and I took the battery out and put it back in and it worked fine. Can't hurt to try

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two things that can cause that message.

The first and most common is this: You are with AT&T.. There are other GSM carriers out there (T-Mobile for example) and AT&T has agreements with many but not all of them (T-Mobile they have an agreement) but if you connect to a network that AT&T does not have a "Roam" agreement with.. You are restricted to 9-1-1 and that's all (Federal law says the carrier HAS to process a 9-1-1 call, even if you have no minutes on a pre-paid or are subscribed to a non-partner carrier).

The other would be a communications emergency or system overload sufficient to require that message. And though I have seen system overloads.. I've never seen that message because of one.

I would not worry about that message..

NOW: What can you do about it?

In some cases the phone will lock on the strongest GSM carrier even though AT&T has a tower a mear 3db further away.. IN cases like this there is often a menu selection you can access (You will need to call 6-1-1 during a time when you have full service to find out how to get there) that will give YOU control over which network you log into.. You can then choose to lock it on AT&T at least for the time being.

But I can't tell you how to do it. You can get help from 6-1-1
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
Had the same problem with my GoPhone and called AT&T and they had cut off my service even though I had over $350 dollars in account balance..They apologized and gave me a free years service since I had been a customer for over 10 years. If you are in their service area and had this problem then they cut you off......Need to contact AT&T.

It was only that way for about an hour, but it has happened on our contract phone yesterday too. I'll give them a call if it keeps doing it.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with my GoPhone and called AT&T and they had cut off my service even though I had over $350 dollars in account balance..They apologized and gave me a free years service since I had been a customer for over 10 years. If you are in their service area and had this problem then they cut you off......Need to contact AT&T.

mda
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the pre-paid phones do not allow roaming as a contract phone does. The major cell phone operators ATT, Verizon, Sprint, have reciprocal agreements with local and regional operators. This increases their coverage area.

Explorer
Explorer
All cell phones will connect to make a 911 call if the phone has no service provider. If this happens and you know your account is paid and working, it means you are out of your provider's service area and have no roaming privilege on the local provider. If that is not the case then AT&T screwed up your account and took you off service for some reason, and when it started working later, the problem was corrected.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It happens to me often with my Tracfone, which uses the signals of other carriers. If I wait a while, I often get an all-clear for regular calls.

I think that the emergency-only message comes up when all of Tracfone's possible lines are busy, but that is just a guess.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has happened to us in the off the main roads of ARK and MS where alot of MOM and POP telephone companies still exist... This may have happened in the back roads of ALA as well...

Not too long back we would get asked for a credit card number when making any call in Lewisville ARK even tho we supposedly had US wide coverage....

Changing to VERIZON solved all of these problems back then...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stop by the nearest ATT store and ask them - or call them.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that you were at locations where there was no AT&T service and your phones were connecting to another company's towers which were permitting you only to make emergency calls.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It means you don't have sufficient signal strength from an approved network to place a normal call/text message. Make sure your phone is set up for roaming and it may help.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that while you were getting a strong signal, it was connected to a server that you're not subscribed to. There's a law that requires that 911 be available to every/any charged cell phone, regardless of subscriber status.

Later, you picked up your own subscribed service and all was well.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien