cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rand McNally RVND 7710 7-Inch GPS vs. Garmin

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
I recently ranted (!) about the Rand McNally GPS in the Infotainment System in our new Winnebago ERA 70X (the rant, in all its glory, is in our blog, too www.era70x.com)

Because I cannot depend on the built in GPS (which cost $1,500), I'm thinking about buying a standalone GPS. Interestingly, the Rand McNally 7710 GPS reviewed on Amazon has a lot of the same freezing up/latency/defects of the built in GPS (which, by the way is vended by Xite (2014 XSG2NA-X1 Infotainment System Family
with Rand McNally RV GPS).

I wonder if it is the Rand provided software to Xite that makes the unit so buggy and worthless. In any event, any input from users on the best Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, Rand (!), GPS units (for RV or otherwise) would be appreciated. Cheers, Mike era70x.com
16 REPLIES 16

Seniorfirsttime
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I replied a few days ago but it apparently didn't send. My question: We ordered the Rand Mcnally 7730LM a few days ago. Would you expand on the Garmin (good points) and RM failures. Are we going to be happy with the RM? Also, I had a thought after ordering the RM. Do these work well sitting under the long overhang of the cabin?

Seniorfirsttime
Explorer
Explorer
4A Song, I just purchased the Rand Mcnally RVND 7730LM but haven't received it yet. Maybe I should have read this first. Would you expand a little on the differences and do you think we will really be disappointed with the Rand?

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
They all sent me down roads to nowhere, told me to turn left when I knew the destination was on the right, and other curious quirks. I would never pay for a built in unit unless all updates were free forever, and I could do them myself.

x2. I have the Garmin for RVs and it really does some weird routing. You can do a search and see long previous post. I will only use it on the interstates as it does not do a good job routing on smaller highways or in city streets. It will get you lost. I'll have to say it worked much better before I downloaded the latest maps.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have the earlier Exite unit that does not have the Rand software in it. The GPS does not have the problems you described so it is likely the Rand software. The GPS in mine has some oddities but is no worse than a TomTom or Garmin for accuracy.
I do like the Exite for the other Infotainment functions.

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
We have had both the Willie Nelly (Rand McNally) RVND7730LM and the Garmin 2797LMT and there is no comparison of the two, Garmin wins hands down, Quality, Reliability, Accuracy, More Features, etc, etc.

Thanks! I think that's the confirmation I need--based on real world head to head competition! Best, Mike www.era70x.com

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I just bought this

I broke my existing late model Rand by allowing it to fall of its mount and onto its face. I really liked it, warts and all. All gps's can lead you astray but for someone that drives a large diesel that prefers truck stop fuel stations and needs to be routed on favored roads it is really worth the 120 mile round trip we made to pick one up at Camping World. I was hoping to get the internet price and indeed got it. I would have paid the full price in any case since we are on the road and really need the features.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both the Willie Nelly (Rand McNally) RVND7730LM and the Garmin 2797LMT and there is no comparison of the two, Garmin wins hands down, Quality, Reliability, Accuracy, More Features, etc, etc.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our 7710 for years and have never seen a freeze up like the OP mentions. :h

Matter of fact never had any issues at all and the unit has all the features, and more, we wanted and with that...would buy another.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my RVND 7735 LM for about a month and have not had any latency problems that you allude to in your blog rant. I use the Rand Dock software to stay up on software and map updates. Don't imagine that is possible with your in-dash unit. Sounds like Xite did a poor job of hardware provisioning and systems integration.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom. Of the three, the Garmin has been the best, followed by the Tom Tom. The Magellan I had was awful. But... They all sent me down roads to nowhere, told me to turn left when I knew the destination was on the right, and other curious quirks. I would never pay for a built in unit unless all updates were free forever, and I could do them myself.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I have the Garmin RV 760LMT. Have had no such problems...

X2
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had the Garmin RV760LMT for about a year, now. I just spent some time on it today using the trip planner... a little cumbersome, but you can force the route to do things like go around DC and Baltimore (or even more off the beaten track, if you like).
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Garmin 760 works fine. The only "problem" I've had is I haven't been able to down load additional POI files into it, but I'm sure that's me and not the GPS.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.