cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready to give up on DirectTV

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
we have DirectTV at home and decided to go with them for our MH. We choose a King Quest satellite dish. we travel a couple times per year, generally for a couple months each. Initially, it took us hours on the phone with DirectTV to get things working. We got it working for day or two and then it we get the 771 problem. we seem to get things working from time to time, but now we are at our whits end. Dealing with them is a nightmare. After hours on the phone, getting transferred several times, we gave up. QUESTION: Does anyone have better luck with customer service with Dish?
21 REPLIES 21

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I take the D-12 box from the house and hook it up to the basic system I have: Tripod, dish,compass and strength meter. Don't need the networks when I'm out of the "spot beam", I want them, I simply use the Bat Wing antenna. Everything goes thru a passive junction box. Don't care about HD....SD is just fine.

Problem is, contacting DirecTV the other day (considering the King Quest) they told me they have already stopped the SD boxes. Everything is now HD. My next question would be "can I use the SD King Quest with a HD box?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have a King Quest and no problems with getting the SD channels. Been working fine for over a year since we mounted the antenna on the roof. 771 is usually some kind of cabling error. Make sure that you have the power injector installed in the correct diretion and powered up.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you have a cabling issue.
We have DirectTV SD utilizing a small receiver from house. We have had no problems connecting it up to our Carry out dish(early model)
Make sure the cable goes straight from the antenna to the receiver. If it goes through any devices like the Winegard power supply in may not work if the unit is on.
I ran a totally differnt RG 6 into the rig straight to the receiver. From the receiver to the TV, it goes through a video switch.
You will not get the networks outside your home area without getting special programming package.
I looked at the King setup guide. I see it uses 120 volt power supply to feed dish. I am lucky that the Carry out uses 12 volts DC

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only roof top antenna that will get Direc HD is a Winegard Travler SK-SWM. Price is going to be around 1800 dollars installed.
For less than 200 dollars you can get the correct ground based dish tripod setup.
What receiver are you attempting or intending to use?

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have DTV at home, dish on the roof, and travel with a dish and tripod. We take our receiver and bedroom genie with us and remotes. Once we set up, we use the website to determine satellite directions for our new zip code. Once we had some difficulty getting all our stations and they sent someone out the next day to fine tune. We get SD and HD and all the major and local networks. They will stay on the phone all day, seems to be their job, but we asked for on site assistance that first time. We do pay the monthly fee for assistance if we need it. One onsite call makes it worth it.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite---who sells a DTV roof mounted antenna? Also, we are not concerned about HD. we are very concerned about ABC, NBC, CBS and have DNS services.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DTV has nothing what-so-ever to do with an RV antenna. If that's the route you chose then your support would be from the antenna manufacturer. In this case King Dome (King Controls). Don't blame DTV for the failure of the antenna you bought. If you use a DTV antenna connected to a DTV receiver you will not have any problems.
I assume you know that you cannot get ANY DirecTV HD programming from the Quest (any dome). Are you sure you are only selecting SD channels? Have you changed the receiver setup to show both HD and SD channels? If not, this is likely your first problem. With a 2nd assupmtion here, I assume you are not trying to get local Networks (ABC, NBC, ect.) after you have driven away from your home area. These channels are only available within a few hundred miles of home.
Please, a few more details.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?