Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RG6 Cable

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody used this cable?

Quad-Shield RG11 Heavy Duty Coax Cable w/ Weather Boot Connectors Indoor/Outdoor

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
mike-s wrote:
None of the wire runs on an RV are long enough to worry about which cable to use. RG-11, RG-6, RG-59, the difference is mice nuts.

But if you really want to waste your money, you want hardline or LMR-600.

No so, RG 59 will not work with most Dish systems, we also had issue when using it at
Home with cable service. Somewhat like saying 14 gauge wire will work for a 20 amp circuit.

In a pinch, RG-59 "could" be used for extremely short distance, say 10-20ft for testing purposes. Its' loss per ft is considerably higher and typically very cheaply made (60% braided shielding) making it an extremely POOR CHOICE and IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY ANY SATELLITE PROVIDERS.

Even the bottom of the barrel version RG-6 which has SINGLE LAYER OF FOIL for 100% shielding coverage IS a FAR BETTER CHOICE than RG59..

However, folks do need to understand that QUAD shielded RG-6 IS NOT NECESSARY for Satellite installations. Because of the extra shielding layers it does have MORE loss than standard SINGLE Foil shielding since the outside dimension is the same as single shielded the CENTER WIRE MUST BE SMALLER in order to accommodate the extra shielding..

Yep, there IS two different RG-6 fittings, one for single shield and one for Quad shield.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
mike-s wrote:
LMR-600 is 50 ohm and can not be used. RG-11 is quite a bit thicker than RG-6. RG-6 will work fine.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Mike-s, YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

LMR-600 SPECS states that it IS 50 ohm (FIFTY OHM) coax.

RG-11 IS BIGGER than RG-6 AND RG-6 should be FINE for Satellite LNB runs up to at least 100 ft.

Granted, RG11 does have much less loss than RG-6 so in some respect and depending on how good of view your dish has might work a bit better if you have some trees infringing on your view or terrestrial point to point microwave relays close to your dish path..

I used to work for a "C" band (big dish) installer many years ago, often ran about 100 to 150 ft of dual RG-6 swept tested for Sat installs.. Never had any issue getting it to work.

Only a couple of times we needed to use RG-11, had a couple of installs that were 200-250 ft, to get a good view of the southern sky..

By the way, last time we used LMR-600 would have been for the first gen C band dish when they used a separate LNA and down converter. LNA mounted on the feedhorn, ran 8ft of LMR-600 through the feed horn hook to the back of the dish then mounted the down converter there..

And YES, the LNA output was 50 ohm, and the down converter input was 50 ohm, so you used 50ohm coax for that connection.. From the block converter AND more modern LNB the output IS 75 OHM...

For Dish or Direct mini dish systems the LNB output IS 75 OHM and the receiver block input IS 75 OHM..

Using 50 OHM coax is not going to kill things but will present an impedance mismatch which may drastically reduce the performance of the receiver.. Basically counter productive.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
What part of my response are you referring to? LMR-600 is 50 ohm, RG-11 is thicker, or RG-6 will work fine.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
mike-s wrote:
LMR-600 is 50 ohm and can not be used. RG-11 is quite a bit thicker than RG-6. RG-6 will work fine.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
No line loss. It has weatherproof Belden connectors to limit interference from the weather, nickel and anti-corrosion materials, UL listed, 14 AWG solid copper core @ 3Gigahertz, 75 ohm.

I have been having problems with my satellite setup, and this is the last thing to replace. We camp in a lot of places where we need 100' to get to a place with a clear view. Hoping this helps solve my issues. And also hoping to never buy another cable! I was just wondering if anybody else has used this cable. Thanks for the replies!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
None of the wire runs on an RV are long enough to worry about which cable to use. RG-11, RG-6, RG-59, the difference is mice nuts.

No so, RG 59 will not work with most Dish systems, we also had issue when using it at
Home with cable service. Somewhat like saying 14 gauge wire will work for a 20 amp circuit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve used 150โ€™ to get to the RV park cable input. Pathway X2 worked fine.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
RG11 is used primarily for very long runs. For most RV use RG6 is fine.

Concur !

Use the Snap-N-Seal compression connectors. RG6 have a blue seal and the part number is SNS1P6. They do require a special tool to install.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Quad-Shield RG11 Heavy Duty Coax Cable w/ Weather Boot Connectors Indoor/Outdoor

Thanks!
RG11 is used primarily for very long runs. For most RV use RG6 is fine. RG11 isn't generally available at your local hardware store while RG6 is. I sure wouldn't spend a dime more for RG11 unless you are looking at running distances in excess of 200 feet.

Yeah, I need it for extended runs on my DISH Playmaker. Most of the places we camp it's pretty difficult to get a signal, so 100' gives me more options on where to place it, with minimal line loss.

Thanks for the replies!

Does the playmaker work OK at the long distance with the RG11?
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Thanks!
RG11 is used primarily for very long runs. For most RV use RG6 is fine. RG11 isn't generally available at your local hardware store while RG6 is. I sure wouldn't spend a dime more for RG11 unless you are looking at running distances in excess of 200 feet.

Yeah, I need it for extended runs on my DISH Playmaker. Most of the places we camp it's pretty difficult to get a signal, so 100' gives me more options on where to place it, with minimal line loss.

Thanks for the replies!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 50โ€™ and 100โ€™ for my Pathway on $10 ext cord reels.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Thanks!

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
For what exactly? Satellite?