cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Shoping

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of purchasing a satellite dish and receivers to receive the dish programing.

I am trying to decide between a Wingard Playmaker Dual or a King Tailgater 3 and two Wally receivers or VIP211Z.

I would appreciate input from Someone with experience in this equipment.

Thanks
Doug
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition
11 REPLIES 11

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
12th Man Fan wrote:
The pathway X2 was my first choice but after reading some reviews on Amazon I was scared off.

Also several reviews said every time you shut the X2 off it had to reload everything when you turned it back on and this took quite a bit of time. Is this correct?

Thanks for the input.

Doug

Only if you power the box down. Unplug it.

Not so for us, but we have different equipment. I just bought the Wally receiver and the Playmaker dish finder. (I think that's what it's called.) We were camping down in a canyon this weekend, and I wasn't even going to try and get a signal. Trees all around our campsite. No southern sky. So my wife walks over and plunks the thing down under a tree, and all of a sudden I have an excellent signal. The best I've had since I bought it; better than at home where there are no obstructions. Sooooooooooo... I turned it off to go to bed. Turned it on in the morning, and it went through the whole setup routine, and I lost the signal completely. Worked on it every day we camped, and could never get it back. I would suggest getting the satellite finder with the biggest dish they make. I think it makes a difference. When I used to have DirecTV, I had a tripod/dish setup, and ALWAYS got a signal within 2-3 minutes. I think the bigger dish is the key. I'm seriously considering going back to the tripod/dish setup. Sorry for so long-winded.

It wonโ€™t reboot just turning it off.

Not mentioned is that it has a bigger dish than a Tailgater so works better in the rain.

Not so for us, but we have different equipment. I just bought the Wally receiver and the Playmaker dish finder. (I think that's what it's called.) We were camping down in a canyon this weekend, and I wasn't even going to try and get a signal. Trees all around our campsite. No southern sky at all. So my wife walks over and plunks the thing down under a tree, and all of a sudden I have an excellent signal. The best I've had since I bought it; better than at home where there are no obstructions. Sooooooooooo... I turned it off to go to bed. Turned it on in the morning, and it went through the whole setup routine, and I lost the signal completely. Worked on it every day we camped, and could never get it back. I would suggest getting the satellite finder with the biggest dish they make. I think it makes a difference. When I used to have DirecTV, I had a tripod/dish setup, and ALWAYS got a signal within 2-3 minutes. I think the bigger dish is the key. I'm seriously considering going back to the tripod/dish setup. Sorry for so long-winded.

EDIT- sorry- don't know how to delete a double post.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered the Pathway X2 and two Wally receivers this morning.

Thanks again
Doug

2015 DRV Tradition

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
12th Man Fan wrote:
The pathway X2 was my first choice but after reading some reviews on Amazon I was scared off.

Also several reviews said every time you shut the X2 off it had to reload everything when you turned it back on and this took quite a bit of time. Is this correct?

Thanks for the input.

Doug

Only if you power the box down. Unplug it.

It wonโ€™t reboot just turning it off.

Not mentioned is that it has a bigger dish than a Tailgater so works better in the rain.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard X2 will give you more options. I have both the 211Z and Wally receivers and I like the Wally much more. If you camp with a lot of trees invest in about 200' of good coax and a cheap electrical cord reel so you can get the dish out from under the trees.

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tailgater 3 and 211Z receiver. Works fine as long as you have a clear shot to the southern sky. Easy to set up.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pathway X2! Sorry to just be adding on!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the input.

Doug

2015 DRV Tradition

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pathway X2 and DISH Wally here as well. Easy activation, easy setup. $35 a month for basic plus another $15 to get your local channels everywhere. We're planning a cross country trip in the fall so getting both arcs was the clincher.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another recommendation for the Pathway X2.

It is the only carry out that lets you pick east or west feeds.

This is a big advantage as they are n differen parts of the sky so better options with trees.

Get the Wally 211s and add a USB hard drive for DVR function.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

I am primarily on the East Coast... I got the Pathway X2 with 2 of the Wally's last year... The Pathway X2 gets BOTH East and WEST satellites.

With the Dish for my RV account, i can activate the programming for 30 days at a time without a penalty.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a satellite dish and receivers to receive the dish programing.

I am trying to decide between a Wingard Playmaker Dual or a King Tailgater 3 and two Wally receivers or VIP211Z.

I would appreciate input from Someone with experience in this equipment.

Thanks
Doug

X1, I am looking for the same information. Talked with Dish and got some conflicting information/recommendations about what receiver you need to have for using the Tailgater satellite
by Dish.