Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to buy new computer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Just need to vent...sorry.
Yesterdays ad for OfficeMax had a Dell Desktop with windows 7 that I was interested in. I called every store in my area and none had one in stock. I was finally told there were none in any of their Calif. warehouses. I went online and used the store locater and could not find a store in CA that had one. Can't order online, but ad stated "Special Order" in some areas. Store associate said it could not be ordered. I emailed OfficeMax and asked how I could get one. They told me they have to be purchased "in store" and there were some available in Texas! Now that's customer service!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand
31 REPLIES 31

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the old stuff works better.
Many of us chose to not go Vista and stayed with the old Windows XP. Not many folks would argue in favor of Vista.

Just went Windows 7, in an effort to avoid Windows 8. Not convinced Win8 is the OS for me. Quite like Win7.

Now I'm thinking the Nintendo Mini Wii might be a good thing too, as it doesn't connect to the internet, no Wi-Fi, doesn't work with Netflix, etc. It's just a game console. Would be quite an upgrade from our Super Nintendo, which we still play!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Gdetrailer..took your advice and ordered from Dell. I know Windows 7 is old but this computer is for my FIL. At 83, he's not big on change. Windows 7 will serve his purpose for as long as he will probably use it.
I just thought it was kind of crazy to advertise a computer that does not exist in Ca. and can't be ordered at the store.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The plus to ordering on the business side of Dell is you also get North American support.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer..took your advice and ordered from Dell. I know Windows 7 is old but this computer is for my FIL. At 83, he's not big on change. Windows 7 will serve his purpose for as long as he will probably use it.
I just thought it was kind of crazy to advertise a computer that does not exist in Ca. and can't be ordered at the store.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

lostmarbles
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that if you order it by having shipped to you. That it isn't hijacked by NSA to have a malware installed before you get it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/29/5253226/nsa-cia-fbi-laptop-usb-plant-spy

Of course, you can always reinstall OS on it... unless they now put in an hardware to do the same thing.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
wa8yxm wrote:
I just got a brand new Toshiba Satellite C55D with Windows 8.1, 500 Gig HD, 4 Gig Ram, AMD E-class CPU. 1.4Ghz (AMD tends to run "Faster" than Intel for any given clock speed) 250 at Staples.. Alas, that was 2 weeks ago deal of the week. 15.6" wide screen, full size KB, Only two complaints.. one applies to nearly all Laptops. (Touchpad or glide pad type MOUSE, quickly fixed from stuff I had in stock) and no rear legs (I will get around to fixing that too) so I can't slant the KB the way I want.

Runs great.

An optical mouse with a USB bud is all you need to eliminate dealing with the pad. :B

Same as the commercial for used exercise equipment.

Why buy new (Windows8) when used will do (Windows7).
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Windows 7 is two revs behind now. New stuff is Windows 8.1, a good amount of stock is Windows 8, and W7 is only getting tougher to find.

win7 can be updated online. if the OP can find a Win7 PC then I say go for it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are other chains that are not as big that might be able to match that. Altex is one chain in the central TX area, for example, which has the same laptop OEMs, but has decent pricing.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at other stores that may have that same computer. Many stores are happy to price match and you can walk out with your computer.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Tom N wrote:
Anything with Win 7 is very old stock. Thus, very limited supply.

What complete and utter non-sense.

Listen up.

YOU HAVE TO ORDER DIRECTLY FROM DELL TO GET WIN7.

You NEED to order a BUSINESS PC from Dell, not a HOME PC which is what the STORES SELL. Business PCs tend to cost a bit more than the deeply discounted "home" PCs so don't be too shocked that they are not as cheap as the stores..

Take a look at Dells website right HERE

Make SURE you order with the WIN7 PROFESSIONAL, it is BETTER than the "Home" version including a FREE download of Virtual XP in which you can run multiple instances of virtual XP if needed. Along with more powerful networking tools...

X2 on the win 7. I believe you can order an HP with win7 on it but with an option to load win 8 later. My son works for a reseller co that does that very thing. I got my AIO that way.
Oh, and by the way, OfficeMax was bought out by Office Depot and they will eventually be changed over.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a W7 OS in any new computer, just ask the store to do a clean wipe and install. They ALL have a special license from MS to install W7 and most will do the change from W8 to W7 for under a hundred bucks, at least around here they do.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom N wrote:

What complete and utter non-sense.

Listen up.

YOU HAVE TO ORDER DIRECTLY FROM DELL TO GET WIN7.

You NEED to order a BUSINESS PC from Dell, not a HOME PC which is what the STORES SELL. Business PCs tend to cost a bit more than the deeply discounted "home" PCs so don't be too shocked that they are not as cheap as the stores..

Take a look at Dells website right HERE

Make SURE you order with the WIN7 PROFESSIONAL, it is BETTER than the "Home" version including a FREE download of Virtual XP in which you can run multiple instances of virtual XP if needed. Along with more powerful networking tools...

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! I have a similar story....

Went to Best Buy on Saturday, to purchase a new TV that they advertised on sale. At 60", I don't have a car to fit it in, so I wanted it delivered.

At the Best Buy closest to me, they tell me they don't have it in stock, but the BB some 35 miles away has two in stock. I tell them great, let's order it up for delivery. The answer I got was that *I* would have to drive the 35 miles to the other store and order it there, for delivery to my condo! I just laughed and told them that wasn't an option. They refused to budge. So I drove right across the street to Sears, where they had the exact same model for the exact same price. I had it delivered yesterday.....

So many of the Stick/Brick stores are complaining about competition from online sales, but they sure aren't helping themselves out......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got a brand new Toshiba Satellite C55D with Windows 8.1, 500 Gig HD, 4 Gig Ram, AMD E-class CPU. 1.4Ghz (AMD tends to run "Faster" than Intel for any given clock speed) 250 at Staples.. Alas, that was 2 weeks ago deal of the week. 15.6" wide screen, full size KB, Only two complaints.. one applies to nearly all Laptops. (Touchpad or glide pad type MOUSE, quickly fixed from stuff I had in stock) and no rear legs (I will get around to fixing that too) so I can't slant the KB the way I want.

Runs great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 7 is two revs behind now. New stuff is Windows 8.1, a good amount of stock is Windows 8, and W7 is only getting tougher to find.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L