Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vizio TV Problem, suggestions please

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
While rving this passed week our Vizio 26" LED-LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV E261VA quit working. Itโ€™s a $250 TV out of warranty by 5 months. I plan to call Vizio Monday and see if they can help. It must have something that is intermittent, because this morning it came on, but after shutting it off it will not come on again. When you try to turn it on the light on the front of the TV comes on, the TV does not and if you try to shut it off by the remote or the power button it will not turn the light back off until you disconnect power. That is how it acted this passed trip also. Missed some good football games. Dick
14 REPLIES 14

kitch251 wrote:
"I would look at the back light invertor board for the Toshiba problem". My Toshiba TV's picture just went black and I do have sound. Where would I find the back light invertor board??

You have to take off the back cover, and may have to remove the metal frame. They're usually located on the left or right side of the LCD. Depending on your model, you may have more than one backlit inverter board. Mine has two. But take some precautions such as unplugging the power cord, and let it sit a while. Avoid touching any capacitors.

I didn't mention the CCFL bulb, as these tend to have long lifetimes, and rarely just fail completely.

BTW, here's a trick I discovered if this is an intermittent problem? If you turn on your LCD and have sound but no picture? Then turn it off on the remote, and back on but at the same time press the channel up or down button repeatedly. Keep tapping the channel button until the picture comes on. If still getting sound but no picture, repeat the process. This has worked for me many times but gets old after a while.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input, since I found I still have warranty I will let them fix it. Dick

kitch251
Explorer
Explorer
"I would look at the back light invertor board for the Toshiba problem". My Toshiba TV's picture just went black and I do have sound. Where would I find the back light invertor board??

If you had sound but no picture, than I'd look at the backlight inverter board? Don't ask how I know, but let's just say, I own a Toshiba LCD. :S

But since the LCD won't power off, its more likely a faulty regulator. Luckily, there is a Vizio specific YouTube video. Whether you want to tackle troubleshooting and/or fixing it yourself is another question?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
Per 12/01 telcon with Vizio help line. Unplug TV power cord, hold in power button on side of TV for 30 seconds, release power button, plug power cord back, press power button on TV or remote. It works!

That seems to take care of it for now, not sure if I want to live with that if itโ€™s a every time thing. Other good news the visa card I purchased it on has Purchase Guard which adds 1 year to the manufactures warranty so if it need replacement or repair I still have warranty. Dick

Yes, it works. But, if you turn it off and on a bunch of times, you will see that you have to do it all over again. I just finished an hour-long customer service ordeal with Vizio. I am sending my TV back to them for warranty repair or replacement. I bought mine last December 21st.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Per 12/01 telcon with Vizio help line. Unplug TV power cord, hold in power button on side of TV for 30 seconds, release power button, plug power cord back, press power button on TV or remote. It works!

That seems to take care of it for now, not sure if I want to live with that if itโ€™s a every time thing. Other good news the visa card I purchased it on has Purchase Guard which adds 1 year to the manufactures warranty so if it need replacement or repair I still have warranty. Dick

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
dicknellen wrote:
While rving this passed week our Vizio 26" LED-LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV E261VA quit working. Itโ€™s a $250 TV out of warranty by 5 months. I plan to call Vizio Monday and see if they can help. It must have something that is intermittent, because this morning it came on, but after shutting it off it will not come on again. When you try to turn it on the light on the front of the TV comes on, the TV does not and if you try to shut it off by the remote or the power button it will not turn the light back off until you disconnect power. That is how it acted this passed trip also. Missed some good football games. Dick

My Vizio did the exact same thing. Word-for-word. It is sitting next to the trash can right now. Maybe I will do what another poster suggested and bring it back inside and see if it "boots up." I already bought a replacement for it, but what the heck. I'll try.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Had one quit on me as well, just got a white screen when turned on. Sent it back and they replaced a circuit board, got it back and it went out again after a week. Sent it back and told them to replace the coax cable antenna input and it has worked fine since.
2009 Montana 3585SA, 5th Airborne Pin Box.

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Google your tv and see if others have had similar issues. I have a Samsung that turned itself on and off and all I had to do was take the back off and disconnect the buttons on the side of the tv that we didn't ever use anyway. I could have replaced the 20 dollar part...but why bother. There was even a you tube video that showed me exactly what to do!

There are really only three boards in the back of the tv, so if you do have to replace a board, it is way cheaper than buying a new tv. Well, maybe not based on the black Friday prices I saw...

The one caution is that capacitors hold electricity, so if you don't know what you are touching, don't touch it! A little education and it should be easy to figure out what is wrong.

On the other hand, I had an LG that was doing the same thing and was out of warranty. They stepped up to the plate and paid for parts, labor AND for the tech to travel 1.5 hours each way to fix it. Amazing.

I would obviously try to get Vizeo to fix it first...but if they won't, it ain't rocket science...it's plug and play components.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Vizio TV that stopped working when it was pretty new.

I called Vizio, and they reminded me that the TV is a lot like a computer, and can get into a bad place. The suggestion was to disconnect the power cord for several minutes (to allow the computer to go into a totally dead state, then plug it back in for at least 45 seconds to reboot the computer, then turn it on.

This has happened two or three times, and the power cord method has worked to restore it to a healthy operating condition.

Of course, your Vizio is a different model if you bought it recently, so who knows -- but it can't hurt to try.

BusterMama
Explorer
Explorer
We had a different problem with our Vizio TV this fall. Give them a call. We found their customer service to be very good. After a couple of emails back and forth where they made a few suggestions that didn't work, they suggested I call them, and they were able to diagnose the problem pretty quickly. It turned out it wasn't the TV after all, but a loose connection in the wall behind the cable plate.
Bigsby, the 2013 LTV Libero

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
One of the most common problems is that the capacitors in the power supply dry out. Not expensive for the caps, but if someone has to open it and solder them for you, it gets expensive quickly. One of the signs of bad caps also is if it clicks when you try to turn it on.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does sound like a loose connneciton,, but I can not advise you to crack the case open.

At 5 months out of warranty give them a call.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Are they closed for the holiday weekend? Manual says support is available Saturday and Sunday. 8-4 PST.

Does your power plug separate from the TV? Check to be sure it is inserted tight.

Last thing I can think of is try regular shore power or generator even if it has worked correctly on an inverter in the past.

My 26 Vizio is a smart TV and often takes a while to start up. They claim it is checking for WIFI signal and/or updating on line.

I would expect them to be pretty busy after all the sales.

Good Luck.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.