cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather Radio

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a decent weather radio to put in the rig. Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hinted at this earlier when I mentioned using my Ham gear to monitor on occasion.

If you get a radio with an external antenna jack, or a detachable (BNC usually) antenna. You can put a Scanner Antenna up high on the roof outside and use it (you want one that gets VHF 160-161 MHZ range) This will greatly improve your weather radio performance.. HEIGHT IS MIGHT and if you get a good antenna it adds more might as well. (I sometimes make my own antennas).

More than the radio is the antenna.

How important is height? Well this is transmitting but.

I once took my new hand held fully synthesized 2 meter (Close enough to be a fair comparison) radio up to the 21st floor of an office building where I worked.. I run 1 watt into a very poor antenna, perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 watt Effective Radiated power.. I'm in Downtown Detroit (Lodge freeway at Howard) and I am chatting with some hams in Toledo Ohio via a repeater station in Adrian, MI.

A VE3 attempts to join in and fails.. (VE3 is Windsor. I can actually see his house from where I'm standing) He's not making it, I forget if he had 40 watts at 30 feet or 30 watts at 40 feet.

But I had 250 feet and that's why I made it with flea power.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Are any 12 VDC? Yes indeed, we use the Midland WR300 both at the S&B (wall wart) and on the road 12 VDC direct. Great little radio. AM & FM as well.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I am cheap and so I haven't graduated to a smartphone as yet because my old phone still works find...so that is out and we do camp often out in the boonies where we don't get call service. And I really don't want a hand-crank one because of arthritis in my hands. Are any 12 volt?

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have smartphones with cell boosters. I also have a Cobra CB with weather alert built in. It starts screeching a high level tone and flashes the CB lights when a weather alert is activated.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is a Midland "Pocket" model. I also have the weather channels programmed in to all my Ham receivers. (Better antennas means better range)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
got mine at Walmart. Midland S.A.M.E. technology. $25.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Eton Axis with alert for inside the TT http://www.amazon.com/American-Self-Powered-Weather-Charger-ARCPT300W/dp/B004P0MVHG/ref=sr_1_1?s=ele...
and the Eton Rover to take with me
http://www.amazon.com/ARCPT200W-American-Self-Powered-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B004P0UKLK
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

N5LUI
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Midland weather radio i've had for at least 5 yrs. never a problem with it, and you can set it for all the counties around you to get warnings in advance. Runs on AC or batteries. great little unit. Thanks

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Both good choices. I like the phone better but the midland is good for when your out of cellphone range.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have this Midland and like it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB