cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 newbie questions - stability and bug control

JM6479
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought our first ever RV (2014 Shamrock 233 Hybrid), and we have used it twice. We have 2 questions...

The trailer seems a little wobbly. Our 3 boys (ages 6, 3, 2) run around, and it really gets the trailer rocking a bit (just a bit). I just have the leveling jacks into the ground (if they reach). Should I put blocks under there? Any particular recommendations?

Also, I see lots of different options for bug control...candles, bug zappers, etc. One friend recommended a spray that he aprays around the perimeter of his site, he says it works great. What do the experienced folks do?
11 REPLIES 11

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
As for bug control go to Walmart and buy some mosquito coils. They work great and are inexpensive.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
For bugs:

thermacell definitely works to keep bugs away when it's not too windy.

We also have about 5 pump spray bottles of bug spray - all with some amount of deet in them. These always work. And the pump spray bottles last forever it seems. We have one or two in the truck, one or two in the medicine cabinet and one in a basket just inside the trailer door.

be careful about uncovered food when using thermacell - the package warns you pretty well about it.

For trailer bounce:

I use fastway wheel chocks to stop the tires from moving. And I added a third scissor jack on each side for stablizing. The third jack in the middle of the trailer really helped with my 25 ft. trailer.

Ed

adondo
Explorer
Explorer
Just like ependydad says, they stabilize, they do NOT level.

You'll need a set of wheel chocks to lock the tires together to prevent rolling. (Even a little bit) Build or buy them.

Here's what I always did when I had a travel trailer:

1st, level it from side to side, using blocks. The giant "Lego" type that lock and stack together are ideal.

2nd, crank the front hitch jack 'til it's level, then go slightly low in the front end. (Maybe 2" or 2.5" for a 30' trailer) Whether you have built-in jacks or old "Christmas tree" jacks doesn't matter, put them in at the back end until they JUST TOUCH.

3rd, crank up the front end (hitch jack) until the trailer is slightly higher than level, about 1 to 1.5 inch. Same thing, make the jacks JUST TOUCH at the front end.

4th, drop the front hitch jack a few turns until the front jacks take a little pressure, and she should be solid with no twisted frame, jammed entry door etc.

Trying to level it with jacks can go so far as to break windows, wedge the door shut, etc.

On edit:
With wooden wheel chocks, try running in a series of 1/4" hex head screws to give the tires something to latch onto. Notice the metal ones you buy have "teeth" stamped in. The hex heads won't damage the tires, but should work like ice crampons.

And these days, all I do is run hydraulic jacks down 'til it's good 'n' level. They'll left the back tires up, even with a 17,000 lb. rear axle. :B
FMCA# F355513. 40 foot Safari Continental, one slide, Cat powered Magnum Blue Max chassis, PAC brake PRXB, Allison MD3060, Aqua-Hot, 7.5 KW Quiet Diesel, Howard PCS, Velvet Ride suspension. 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
Links to making your own wheel chocks:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~duncanshomepage/homemade_wheel_chocks.htm

http://www.rverscorner.com/chocks.html

that's what i made and i'm not very handy with wood.
total costs for two was about $13.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
JM6479 wrote:
Thanks ependydad, I meant "stabilizing" jacks, we don't use them for leveling...

Cool beans. I only say something because I watched my sister's boyfriend bust out an impact drill and cranked each corner until he got level on theirs. I tried to say something- he didn't want to hear it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Joseph_T1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 23' Roo hybrid. A good set of wheel chocks (we use roto-choks) and your stabalizers will get rid of most of the movement but you will never eliminate it.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you need to get tandem wheel chocks next, if you don't already have them.
most owners will get most of the movement out by using these along with the stab jacks.
but remember, this is not a house and having active kids moving about, will guarantee that getting all the movement out is impossible.

by the way, in case you don't know, there's a Hybrid Forum here with lots of Roo/Shamrock 233 and 233S owners that can help with any questions or mod ideas.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JM6479
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ependydad, I meant "stabilizing" jacks, we don't use them for leveling...

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the stability: If your stabilizers are extended way down you should definately put blocks under them.
I made up wooden boxes that I put under mine. The more angle you have on each side the better your stability is.

On the bugs: Try a Therma-cell. It works fantastic for mosquitoes and no-see-ums

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
JM6479 wrote:
Just bought our first ever RV (2014 Shamrock 233 Hybrid), and we have used it twice. We have 2 questions...

The trailer seems a little wobbly. Our 3 boys (ages 6, 3, 2) run around, and it really gets the trailer rocking a bit (just a bit). I just have the leveling jacks into the ground (if they reach). Should I put blocks under there? Any particular recommendations?

Also, I see lots of different options for bug control...candles, bug zappers, etc. One friend recommended a spray that he aprays around the perimeter of his site, he says it works great. What do the experienced folks do?

First, they're not leveling jacks- they're typically solely stabilizers. Using them for leveling can break things. Read about leveling, if you need help there.

Second, for stabilization- here's what I'm doing:
Shake, shake, shake - RV Stabilization

Finally, for bugs- we use Thermacell units and pony up the dough for replacement cartridges.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page