cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding water after dumping black tank

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a used Jayco 17c & took it for it's first trip. Dumped black water tank & then grey water tank after the weekend was over.

The guy in the camper next to me told me after dumping the tanks, you should put water back in them (didn't specify how much) so the stuff in the tank doesn't harden which causes the smell.

So, my question is...Is this good advice and how much water should I put in? I assume I hook up the hose again & just run the sink water & toilet flush for a bit.
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C
25 REPLIES 25

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I have an empty 1 gallon milk bottle that I originally used to put 2 gallons in the tanks. Now I have a 5 gallon bucket that I use to keep a little more water in the tanks. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong amount as much as a personal preference thing.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of hooking water hose back up, just keep 1/2 tank of fresh water and use the pump.

Jim

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I squirt some Dawn hand dish soap, then 3-5 gallons of water into my rig's black tank after my usual empty/rinse cycle. This does two things. The water keeps anything remaining from turning to stone and the dish soap dissolves stuff like it does grease.

Grey tank just gets a squirt of Dawn, and a liter of water to ensure that traps stay filled.

It is cheaper than other chemicals, does the job (albeit slower), and seems to help with odors.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
We put Campa-Chem and ~~3gal of water in the black tank after dumping. There's really no reason for the campa-chem other than we like doing it and it's $1 per application. Water alone would be just fine.

We do nothing with the gray tank.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a couple gallons in both the gray and black to help keep the seals on the dump valve moist and to help any remaining food particals or waste from drying out. The black tank also gets about a cup of cheap powder detergent and a cap full of water softner. I leave all this in the tanks and on my next trip to the campground, it sloshes around and coats the tank along with breaking down anything during the sitting period.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Hey still new around here myself as well but based on what I've been reading its a good idea to add a couple of gallons (I do not think there is actually a exact "right" amount) of water back into the black tank. The intention is to keep anything that does not get dumped down the drain from hardening. Some folks also say that this is good for the health of your dump valves.

Many folks do this even with a tank sprayer. My intention is to put some water back in after dumping. Maybe just enought to cover the bottom of the tank if I can figure out how much will do that - or a couple of gallons, few toilet bowls of water. I don't think it can hurt and is sounds like a good idea to avoid having dried, solid- "solids" in your tanks. Heh...

Side note: OP: I'm spending a great week "next door" over in Gatlinburg doing what I hope is my last round of "cabin camping" before our new TT arrives. I love TN and would live here in the Smokys if I could find a way to make a living!
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I dump a couple of toiletfills into the black tank along with the chemicals I use. Toiletfills: fill up the toilet then flush.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. When I am done with the black tank I put about 1/2 cup of liquid dish washer detergent in the toilet fill til full and flush. Then I fill the toilet a second time and flush. Good to go until next time the tank needs to be dumped. A hint while dumping the black tank. I have the DW fill and flush the toilet several times while the black tank valve is open. Helps get all of the solids out of the tank.

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
I add a couple of gallons to the black tank and sometimes squirt in bit of detergent along with the packet of stuff that's supposed to keep the smell down. The grey tank usually gets some added during clean up once we're home.

One thing to note, is that the black tank indicator may not be accurate. Sometimes ours still shows 2/3 full even after dumping. Sometimes it shows empty after dumping. Also, don't forget that water is the black tank's best friend. Make sure to use plenty or you'll wind up with a pyramid of yuck at the bottom.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Thats sound advise. I do not add water to the grey tank but put about 5 gallons in the black.
I run a hose in the bathroom window and add water directly through the toilet.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any type of tank rinser so as soon as my black and gray tanks are completely empty, my wife dumps 2-2 gallon containers of water into the toilet to to complete the rinse.