cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a dedicated handheld electric drill for raising and lowering my stabilizer jacks on my 30' Surveyor TT. I am also wanting to use it on the jacks of my ProPride hitch.

Should I get the type that has an 'impact wrench' function or just stick to the basic high-torque drill/driver models? I was thinking the impact wrench function would be handy for getting the jacks started but I don't want to damage anything.

Thoughts?
40 REPLIES 40

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I use a impact wrench but as usual if you can hear me, you parked too close. My Royobi drill doesn't have the torque and the chuck loosens in reverse.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
A cordless impact makes no more noise that that of a drill until things tighten up. And once tightened, it really isn't any louder than a loaded diesel pickup with factory exhaust. The impact wrench smells a lot better though.

Cliff

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I've used an 18V Dewalt (non-impact) drill for the jacks on our previous travel trailer for years. Worked perfectly.

We recently sold the trailer to our niece. We met them for their maiden voyage, and they didn't bring a drill. I only had my Milwaukee 12V (M12 series) drill with me. It did deploy the jacks, but lacked enough power to lift the corner of the camper to make the jacks really effective.

So... I'd say get an 18V or more non-impact type drill. Keep in mind, these drills have enough torque to damage your wrist if not careful. I use two hands, and keep the palm of the hand not holding the drill, against the bottom of the grip to prevent the drill from moving.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed on the no-impact.

That said, I never needed anything special. I used a basic Ryobi to raise and lower the jacks on our first rig and it was just fine. The bigger issue, really, is battery. Cheaper models will have batteries that might not cycle as well.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
No impact. Lubricate your jacks regularly and use either a regular drill or the hand crank that came with the trailer.
There are two sounds that grate on me in the campground. The sound of the car alarm going off for several minutes and the sound of somebody two rows over using their impact drill. If I wanted to hear impact drivers I would camp at a garage or race track.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I Lifted my 2200 Lb Truck Camper using an 18v Makita -three torque levels - for years. Works great, just keep your batteries charged. I believe you can now get 20v units.

I agree with above, no impact driver - just the torque drill.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Please, no impact driver. It gives you no advantage and it is just plain anoying to others near by who can hear it. I had a DeWalt drill with the 2 torque settings and it worked just fine. Those jacks are are stabilizers not leveling jacks and should not be used to level the trailer by putting high torque on them to lift the trailer. Use blocks under the tires instead.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I use a low end Craftsman impact wrench with the appropriate socket.
Works great - I think it's 18V. No problems so far.
Gerry

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I use an angle drill. 18v Ryobi from Home Depot (but I have a lot of their 18v stuff as well). It works well for me and has plenty of torque. I tighten them down with a ratchet.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery operated? Just about any of them will do.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
no. You want a high torque but nothing that operates in the impact wrench mode.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow