Before pulling out...

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I read this tip somewhere and it really works. You need:
A suitable sized Ziploc bag.
A package of spring loaded cloths pins.
A felt tip marker.

Its easy to forget to do something or unhook something before leaving a CG. Especially if you stop to talk. Make a list of everything you need to do before pulling out. Examples: "Unhook and stow the electric cord", "Roll up and store the water hose", "Retract the jacks". Then write a short reminder of each item on a clothes pin. "Jacks", "Power", "Water", "Slinky", etc.
When setting up, fold the sun visor down. Then take the appropriate cloths pin and attach it to the sun visor as you complete each step. Reverse the process before leaving. What you haven't done yet is right in your face as soon as you get behind the wheel.
I've seen posts on here of people driving away with something still connected. That can be very expensive or at least messy.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.
36 REPLIES 36

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had a problem forgetting any thing since I always do a walk around, and then another walk around and then one last walk around.
My biggest fear is forgetting to hook up the cable between the trailer and the truck, so I always put some sort of item in the middle of the drivers seat, and that is my reminder.

My wife does all the inside stuff and does a great job of it.

I think the name of the game is go slow and methodical

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GF does a complete walk around.........then I do one.
When done we pull wheel chocks and go.

If both of us miss something.......then we deserve it.

Yep. I've done a walk around and still managed to drive away while hooked to shore power.
A second set of eyes would make a difference.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GF does a complete walk around.........then I do one.
When done we pull wheel chocks and go.

If both of us miss something.......then we deserve it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a fine felt-tip marker to print the item of concern on wooden clothespins.
Cheap & works for me!!
I put them on the steering wheel as I setup and then as I get ready to go, I pull them and put them into the storage bag.
(When you have 'Pulled All of the Pins', you are ready to go!!):B
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ncrowley wrote:
I use these:

http://www.rvminders.com/

I love them. They come with common reminders and some you can write on yourself. They wrap around the steering wheel so you are definitely reminded before you pull out.

X2. I love em. On the blank ones I wrote "Propane On" an "E-brake On" (the e-brake light doesn't work, so this way I always know when I have it set).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing I never forget as the last step is making sure all power is shut off inside the trailer (water heater, pump, main lights etc.) All of those switches are behind a panel near the door. The panel is left open our entire stay. I put my reminders on that panel.

I don't care for the steering wheel method as we use our TV for daily trips.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I use these:

http://www.rvminders.com/

I love them. They come with common reminders and some you can write on yourself. They wrap around the steering wheel so you are definitely reminded before you pull out.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star