cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Time To Buy?

jbaughsr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going to get into RV'ing for at least a couple of years. I was wondering if there is a "best time" to buy RV's like there is cars. End of model year, end of summer season etc?
Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Few people on here report beating the prices at the so called wholesale RV dealers on custom orders and their prices do not change much over the course of the year. Sometimes in the fall there are extra manufacturer discounts that are passed on, but I wouldn't focus on that. Find the right RV first, then shop prices.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
In places like Arizona, the best time to buy is when the snowbirds are going back north. Some will sell them because they do not plan to use them next year. In other places, the best time to buy is the end of the RVing season. People realize they did not use the RV as much as they thought they would.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deals are always available. But, I believe I see the most ads and sales in the very beginning of winter. Seems interest in RVs is lowest at that point. I'll likely be looking to buy my new one around December.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Midnightsadie. The best time to buy is when you find the RV you want. If you are a good negotiator, the best time to buy is when people aren't lined up waiting for a salesperson to sell them a rig. I could almost always get a dealer where I wanted them to be, new or used. Private parties are a little more difficult.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
any time is good, if your good ,find what you like at work the price to suit you.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
rekoj71 wrote:
I worked with an RV dealers sales manager who let me know that he would give just about anyone the same price at his dealership as he would his RV shows, but the show was a great way to create interest and a sense of urgency to buy with all of the hype and pretty advertisements. At the show he would usually list closer to his bottom line but not negotiate much where at his dealership he would negotiate down more to let you feel like he was working with you....

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Here in VA dealership list "show prices" during the week of the RV Show in Hershey (even though Hershey is 150 miles away).

And in Florida my cousin got a "boat show" price on his new boat when he asked for it from a dealer that wasn't represented at the Palm Beach Boat Show.

Guess it pays to ask, eh?
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

jbaughsr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we got the standard transmission.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
jbaughsr wrote:
We kind of got the cart before the horse because of the "end of the month quotas". We bought our tow vehicle Thursday because it was end of the month and end of year. Got a great deal on a Subaru CrossTrek.

Nice! Can it be towed four-wheels down?
It's his Super Power!

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I worked with an RV dealers sales manager who let me know that he would give just about anyone the same price at his dealership as he would his RV shows, but the show was a great way to create interest and a sense of urgency to buy with all of the hype and pretty advertisements. At the show he would usually list closer to his bottom line but not negotiate much where at his dealership he would negotiate down more to let you feel like he was working with you.

As some have noted and as was my experience also, once the new models are out the older ones seem to come down in asking price (bought a 2013 in Feb of 2014), but your selection is also diminished.

jbaughsr
Explorer
Explorer
We kind of got the cart before the horse because of the "end of the month quotas". We bought our tow vehicle Thursday because it was end of the month and end of year. Got a great deal on a Subaru CrossTrek.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
D i c k_B wrote:
...Seems to me at the end of the month or end of the year it's the best time with the above in mind.

Interesting point. Are RV salesmen like car salesmen: They have an end-of-month quota to make? If so, end of month might be a really great time to purchase.

EDIT: Your username got caught in the NaughtyWordEditor, so I changed it in my quote of what you said.
It's his Super Power!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It may be considered a `flip' answer but, because there are so many variables with RV's, I say when you find one that will fit your anticipated life style and can afford the price; buy it.
If you get a `good deal' on one that doesn't work it is not a deal.
Seems to me at the end of the month or end of the year it's the best time with the above in mind.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
jbaughsr wrote:
My wife and I are going to get into RV'ing for at least a couple of years. I was wondering if there is a "best time" to buy RV's like there is cars. End of model year, end of summer season etc?
Thanks in advance.

wow. I bought my MH, called an entry level MH by some, in Jan 2015. And now looking at the available prices I'm seeing them much lower now before all the 2016's arrive at dealerships. I don't see the same model as mine with the choices and options I wanted to buy they do appear much cheaper, even from the same dealership. I'm not sure there is a best time to buy. Because like car dealerships they buy the cars that they think will bring in the money and when they sell what they ordered they don't sell the same model anymore. I've seen this same scenario on every RV brand btw. Take your time, you'll know when its time.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Good time to buy new: During an RV rally where dealerships bring in coaches and/or during a BIG RV show (not just shows with a few dealerships) Or, like you said, when latest-model-year coaches arrive and dealers want to clear out the older models.

Good time to buy used: When you're in Florida. So many choices!

JMHO, of course.
It's his Super Power!