cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions please

rdufokker
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to buy first RV, but have some different issues than others. We have a mountain house in NC that has a 1/2 mile gravel driveway that is 7% grade. We also want to do two months in the mountains and two months on the road, alternating. There is just the two of us and a small dog. We do not like loud engine noise while driving. What does anyone suggest that will work in these conditions and has the comfort and quality that we need?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Schnedl
8 REPLIES 8

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
The driveway can be a problem depending on the angle going in. If you go directly from the main road to a steep slope, you will be dragging the ground with something, depending on the RV. You may be able to get a trailer with clearance or you can add clearance on some of them.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think we need to know what size you're considering and what type? Trailer, 5th wheel, Class B, Class C. Class A. How large is your turnaround room at the top of the driveway?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the NC mountains and have a 25 foot, 5000 pound trailer that I back up a fairly steep gravel driveway, but it is only about fifty or sixty feet to my trailer barn
I definitely need my four wheel drive to do it.

There is no I would want to back up a half mile driveway of the same conditions.
I am sure I would tear up the transmission.

My truck is a 2014 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 engine, that pulls perfectly on the highway at 70 MPH

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I see one potential problem for you and that is your driveway. We have a steep gravel driveway too and we can not back our 5th up it without spinning out. We also cannot pull up it as there is no room to turn it around. Luckily I have several acres and another driveway that comes in level off of the road, but I have to cross the yard to get to my parking spot. Can't do that after a rain. Maybe a motorhome will work better for you. Just a suggestion.

Disagree- with the drive being 1/2 mile, I have to assume it's got a turn around. I could definitely be wrong, but I kind of doubt they back in and back out with their current vehicles. Admittedly a car turn around may not be adequate to turn around a trailer or bigger Class A/B motorhomes. Conversely, with it being 1/2 mile- perhaps there's plenty of grass where you could back onto (or add additional gravel to).

If getting up the gravel drive is an issue in wet weather, perhaps it means 4WD tow vehicle. I guess if they already have 4WD and already struggle to get up it at times, then maybe their choice is extremely limited to truck bed campers or a 4WD conversion van.

As so many others (and you)have said- folks desires and needs vary widely as do RV types, sizes, floor plans, accessories and capabilities.

Renting is good advice as is plenty of time shopping and considering what they like and what they need.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I see one potential problem for you and that is your driveway. We have a steep gravel driveway too and we can not back our 5th up it without spinning out. We also cannot pull up it as there is no room to turn it around. Luckily I have several acres and another driveway that comes in level off of the road, but I have to cross the yard to get to my parking spot. Can't do that after a rain. Maybe a motorhome will work better for you. Just a suggestion.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you say "RV"....exactly what are you referring to? You'll get different answers for different types.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Same advice as for all first timers:
RENT first a time or two.
You never REALLY know how you will like a given configuration until you actually live with it for a while.

Then I suggest that you explore parking the RV off-site somewhere nearby.
Others can supply actual experience but I suspect that driveway will be a significant problem regardless of model. How much space do you have at the top to turn around ??

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the new diesels are very quite. My 2013 GMC diesel is as quite as my 2009 GMC gas engine was when going down the highway.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76