Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Cam

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have one GET ONE .

Wish we would have gotten one like we talked about before we did our cross country road trip.
I wouldn't be in the situation we're in.
Traveling on I75 in Georgia speed limit 70 we're in the far right slow lane cc set at 64 mph a semi passed us , just as the truck trailer got passed us the right rear tire blew out taking the mud flap with it.
I hit the brakes and lined up the mud flap best I could to not run over it thinking maybe it took the bracket and bolts with it.
The tread however flew over hit the front bumper around the side hitting the generator door bending it in then flipped up gouging the rear wheel well and side molding then a nice long black mark up the side towards the rear of the MH.
The truck moves over into our lane , turns his flashers on then speeds up , yes speeds up !!

Once I realize we're ok I speed up to catch up to him, the wife takes several pictures of the rear of the truck showing pieces of tire still flinging off , the missing mud flap along with license plate # trailer # then I pulled on up along side the truck she took pictures of the Company name DOT license etc. the driver looked down realizing what we're doing hits the brakes and slows way down.

I move over in front of the truck, seeing a rest stop about a mile ahead thinking he'll follow us in. We passed an exit and at the last second he swerves off the road taking the exit.
We take the rest stop exit google the Comp name.
I call them and got transferred to the dispatch, he said yeah he just got a call from a driver saying he would probably be getting a call from someone driving a MH.

I explained to him what happened and while having me on the line he radios the driver . The driver had the gal to say I was following too close and for me to turn it into my insurance as an act of God.
To say the least my BP jumped about 20 points...

I explained we are in a middle of a trip and that I will have my insurance be in contact with them.
Hung up with him then I called my Insurance and explained everything to them as well, he asked if we were ok and if the MH is drive-able etc, I said yes its all cosmetic damage and can be fixed once we got home.

Trip done I call my insurance they send out an estimator to write one up .
My deductible is higher than what the estimate came to.
So I called the trucking comp and talked with the dispatch guy and now he's asking me about a police report ,witnesses basically blowing me off.

My insurance wants me to pay to have the MH fixed first AND THEN they will try to get me reimbursed from the trucking company.

Saying all this , had we had a DASH CAM the video would have showed exactly what happened...
No dispute from the lying truck driver...

Yeah had I had it to do over I would have called the Georgia Highway patrol and not really sure what that would have accomplished ??? Since no one stopped ... But at least reported it?
27 REPLIES 27

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
We have Viofo A119 Dash Cam and love it. Discreet, decent sized screen, great features and can easily be taken off the mount if need be. Be sure to use a microSD card designed for the constant use in a dash cam, such as Lexar 633x.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool. Glad it worked out for you

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Well Well Well , how nice it is to talk with the right people.
Long story short I was in contact with another trucking company , and the gal asked me for the info , I emailed her pictures of the truck #'s .
She came back with the DOT # and told me I can use that # to get the companies info IE Insurance Carrier.
She was nice enough to get that info for me.

I contacted the Trucking Comp. Insurance carrier, was told I would have a follow up call from them once they made contact with the outfit that caused the incident and get their side.

I thought great here we go again !
Then a couple days went by I got a phone call from a very nice lady, she took down all my info, I then explained what happened that day and the truck drivers reaction and what was said when I called the comp when it first happened.

Three days later I get a call from the trucking company apologizing with every excuse in the book from the truck/trailer had been out of state for 2 months and finally got back to MI to the boss had been out of country the last two months and never received the email I sent with the photos.

Apparently the Insurance Carrier ripped them pretty good , I had a check from the trucking company for the full amount of the estimate to repair the MH within a few days.

voyaginator
Explorer
Explorer
Talking about security and insurance, an interesting dashcam has this not
only for driving but when parked as well.
The new Thinkware F50 dashcam has a parking surveillance mode to record in case something is disturbing the vehicle, found that an interesting feature.
Another cool feature is a thermal sensor if it is too hot, which is often
a problem in full sun all day.
And also, I like the speed and red light detection! :W

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
In places like Russia dash cams are mandatory,,watch and see why

https://youtu.be/3vmlBfaIgjw

Motor vehicle accident fraud is rampant in Russia which makes dash cams so popular.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
In places like Russia dash cams are mandatory,,watch and see why

https://youtu.be/3vmlBfaIgjw

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running a dash cam in the RV for 3 years and one in my commuter for a bit over a year. In the RV I have caught an accident that nearly collected me and idiots at Yellowstone posing with bison. In my commuter just a week ago I recorded what nearly turned into me getting int a head on with a wrong way driver. I have an A118-C in my commuter and just bought one for my wife's car too. Very compact and unobtrusive. Sticks to windshield behind the mirror on a car. Under $100 at Amazon.

Link to Review of A118

The "C" version uses a capacitor rather than a battery for it's backup power. Should be more reliable.

One thing I did notice with the (not an A118-C) dash cam in the RV, is originally I had it mounted in the center of the windshield. The problem is it apparently generated enough RF noise that the GPS couldn't get a satellite lock. I moved the dash cam to the side of the windshield and problem solved.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Little update , the estimate to repair our MH is $525. our deductible is $750.
So our insurance agent said for me to pay out of pocket for the repair AND then they will TRY to get me reimbursed from the trucking company.

Even tho the day of the accident the truck driver called in saying they would probably be getting a call from someone driving a MH.
The guy I talked to from the trucking company even said he got a call from the driver.

So now the insurance claims adjuster I was working with has since left the insurance comp , no notes , no follow up emails nothing.
I found this out when I called his # to see why he hadn't followed up with me like said he was going to.

So now I'm basically starting over with another claims person and once again she has not followed up calling me back like she said she would.

Once again school of hard knocks , shoulda coulda but didn't.

sorry this happened...sounds like a nightmare

Have you bought a dash camera?

I use this Blackvue dash cam from Rear View Safety. It's worked well so far.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
So our insurance agent said for me to pay out of pocket for the repair AND then they will TRY to get me reimbursed from the trucking company.

Even tho the day of the accident the truck driver called in saying they would probably be getting a call from someone driving a MH.
The guy I talked to from the trucking company even said he got a call from the driver.

So now the insurance claims adjuster I was working with has since left the insurance comp , no notes , no follow up emails nothing.
I found this out when I called his # to see why he hadn't followed up with me like said he was going to.

So now I'm basically starting over with another claims person and once again she has not followed up calling me back like she said she would.

Now, there's something you can do about your insurance company. There's zero excuse for rotten customer service. Seems to be the way of the future anymore. Shop around.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I was in trucking for many years and the one thing trucking company's don't want is the D.O.T. showing up at their company ! I would call the trucking Co. and talk to the head of their safety dept. not a dispatcher and tell him you are going to contact the D.O.T. because of their company's unsafe driver and that after the tire exploded the driver just kept on going not caring if anyone or anything was hurt and that you called the Co. and they knew about the incident and never did anything about it. It's worth a try. Without the D.O.T. and no police report I don't think you have any chance at all. Good luck.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You didn't do anything wrong, your rv got a ding. Cause $500 wouldn't pay to pinstripe one fender.
If it was a reputable trucking co, they would deal with you just to keep their rep up, but then again, trucking companies don't really rely much on public opinion to get or keep contracts.
Sucks, but $500 damage, shop repaired?
get it fixed and do stress over it. Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully all of what your dashcam records will be routine stuff where nothing happens. I have posted a few of the more scenic files on FB. Friends get a big kick out of them, especially with some of the background 'chatter' when a wrong turn is made.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
Got my dash cam after a truck on I-75 realized he was in a turn lane and swerved into my lane striking my vehicle with his trailer tire. He slowed down and acted like he was going to stop but when I pulled off the road he sped up.
The traffic was too heavy and I was too shaken to try to catch him. I called the police and made a report but did not have his license number or good description of the truck. Also, if Bigfoot ever crosses the road in front of me, I'm ready!
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com