cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding on generator

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Dutchmen Aristocrat travel trailer that I will be using for an upcoming camping trip where electricity isn't available. I need to get a generator. I will run the water heater and fridge off propane. I have a roof top air conditioner that I may want to run on occasion but definitely not the whole time. My TT has a 30 amp plug. The converter is 45 amps. My questions are do I have to find a generator that has a 30 amp outlet to be able to run everything? If I use an adapter to plug into a regular 120v outlet on the generator, will that run everything or will it trip the outlet since my TT really wants 30 amps? I'm looking at a 4000w peak/3200w running generator but it doesn't have a 30 amp outlet like my TT wiring. It does have a 120/240v 30 amp twist lock outlet and then four 120v outlets. Can I use that 120/240v 30 amp twist lock outlet for anything? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1998 Dutchmen Aristocrat 24FL-D
41 REPLIES 41

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I'd suggest is regardless of the generator you buy, study up on 12 volt power management. Being savvy here can be free or inexpensive. Start your trip with batteries charged to the brim. Make sure they stay charged when in storage-or are disconnected and tended to regularly. Look into LEDs for a couple most commonly used interior lights. Don't run the fridge anti-condensate coil unless absolutely necessary. Use blankets instead of a high thermostat heat setting. Sure some generator time is unavoidable. But with strategy it can be cut down..

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Informative forum. I ended up here after doing a search for the Champion 3100 invertor generator. I mainly plug into shore power (13.5 AC) when I camp at modern RV parks but I go to Oshkosh Airshow were most boondock and I bought a Champion 4k open frame when I got my TT (2007) that mainly has been used when the power is out at home and a few days a year at Oshkosh. I wanted something slightly quieter (for me) and something lighter to handle when camping there. I originally was leaning toward paired 2k invertor generators to have more headroom with loads but after stumbling on the 3000 watt offerings I'm considering one. If I get one to lessen the load, noise and fuel consumption I will turn the hot water heater and frig to propane when running AC.

To Champion's credit it is a durable generator. After 7 years of use I just changed the oil, cleaned air filter in the spring. The recoil cord broke 2 years ago at home during an outage where I pulled too aggressive too many times but I fixed that after watching YT videos on replacing cord.

I saw Briggs and Stratton has a selection of generators but haven't seen much reviews on them.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
waldreps wrote:
For the trip I'm going on, it's a music festival and not a campground so that's why I'm not too concerned about the noise. Most other people there use the same type of generators that I'm looking at and nobody cares.

if you had stated this from the beginning, a lot of the responses would have been different.
i, personally, have no problem with you using a Champion 3500 for this type of situation. it's a great generator for this and motor race events and boondocking.
i related all my statements to use in a developed campground, not for what you plan to use it for.

if i'd known this was what you wanted it for, i would have supported your choice.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The type of music festival was not mentioned. We are fairly avid bluegrass festival followers which are often held at places which are dry camping only. Somebody running a noisy open framed genny is the rare exception.

Now, the big country or rock festivals may be another story. Looked at attending one this year. Much more expensive. Far more people. Not really our type of scene so we did not bother. Can't imagine the camping area being much different than at a bluegrass festival where people mostly have inverter gennys & keep the use to a minimum.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Let up on the guy. He isn't going to be using the generator next to YOU.

As a "solar snob" I find all of the generator discussions funny. My generator is slightly quieter than yours so I am so much better than you are. Guess what, they are ALL annoying. In a dry campground where half the spots fire up a generator breakfast, lunch and dinner, you wouldn't know if someone fired up a inverter or a open frame. It just becomes part of the din and inside the rig ( where all generators drive you) a EU3000is makes the same hum as a Champion 3500/4000.

So get the generator that best fits your needs, situation and budget. The people harping on the open frames are worried about their needs not yours. They can not conceive of the situations where their choice may not be the best solution.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple of thoughts:
Would not want to spend money on a generator that I could not use everywhere, some places will not allow that type generator.
Sometimes I have to buy used to get what I need.
Second, everyone wants to have a good camping experience, you and those around you. The enjoyableness of the trip I have is in big part dictated by those around us. We have left home excited about a trip, can't wait to get there, but have neighbors that make to much noise, to loud music, argue and fight, etc. My weekend is ruined because of those around me. In turn I don't want to do things that would cause anyone else to have a bad experience. Maybe I'm wrong but feel most who read these forums try and do the right thing, its mostly those who don't read and try and learn who cause the problems.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mind at all camping next to Dakota. He seems to be nice and willing to help as are most on this forum. My rant was directed not just at anybody who suggested I buy an inverter style generator but strictly at those few who jumped to the conclusion that I don't care, am only concerned with price and haven't even considered or researched the noise levels. I am a nice person and do care and I understand that inverter style generators are the way to go IF you can afford it. I can't and the place I'm camping doesn't require it and last year I saw a lot of people there using non inverter style generators... Nobody cared and they weren't really that loud to me. Even the champion 3100 is still $700 or more... I can't pay that much, I'm sorry. It sounds like a couple of people just automatically label me a jerk cause I'm not buying an inverter style without knowing my situation. That's what frustrated me. Most everybody's suggestions were very helpful and I really appreciate them even the ones who suggested an inverter style.

Xflyhighx
Explorer
Explorer
I think you and Dakota should camp next to each other. He like's alot of noise...LOL. Buy what you can and just be considerate of others is all anyone on here is trying to say. Happy camping, over and out!!!
2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL
TrailAir Pin Box
Hensley TS3 trailer saver
2017 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 dually
14' Porta-bote
Honda 3000is or 2 Honda 2000’s
Life is good in the good old USA

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I think you got some very good suggestions considering your budget. There certainly are locations where an open frame, non-inverter genset can be used, but the average campground is not one of them. I have an open frame contractor genset for my house and I can tell you it is some kinda loud. For camping I bit the bullet and got a quiet inverter generator. As several have mentioned, Champion has some moderately priced inverter generators that are "campground friendly". When comparing noise ratings keep in mind that a 3db increase equates to twice as loud.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
waldreps wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not trying to be rude but I can't afford a generator as quiet as some of you are demanding. I'm sorry that I'm not rich enough to camp next to you. For the trip I'm going on, it's a music festival and not a campground so that's why I'm not too concerned about the noise. Most other people there use the same type of generators that I'm looking at and nobody cares. If I'm the most hated person in the campground cause I can't afford a super expensive quiet generator then it's probably not a campground I would want to camp at. I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I just don't like getting repeatedly jumped on cause I can't afford the top of the line equipment. I think people should be a little more forgiving and stop hating people cause their generator is a little louder cause they couldn't afford the expensive ones. What's next... Is my camper too old or is the paint too faded to park next to you? It's fine to be considerate of others and I try to to the best of my ability, but spending 3 times as much just so I don't upset you with a little more noise seems ridiculous. I'm researching and buying the best deal and quietest one I can afford. That's the best I can do. I'm sorry.
It's not a matter of just "generator snobishness". The well meaning folks that have the inverter generators are suggesting you get an inverter model because they are the choice of those who camp close to each other or at National Park and State Parks where the noisier open-frame gensets are outlawed. You also won't find many private campgrounds that allow their use. Did you see the post where the guy was in three altercations because he was using an open-frame genset? Unfortunately, this is what you can expect, someone close by will be complaining and asking you to turn it off. If you're just going to the back of the woods or the end of the trail, sure, use the open-frame unit. When you get tired of the roar, think of what was mentioned here or take a look at solar. Solar will run everything except a roof top AC.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
waldreps wrote:
I think people should be a little more forgiving and stop hating people cause their generator is a little louder cause they couldn't afford the expensive ones.

JMO but you also are too quick to judge ... any open frame contractor style generator won't be "a little louder" but many, many, many times louder. :E Secondly, while some of us do have our preferences that lean to a more costly Honda or Yamaha inverter genset there's no reason that with a little power management on your part that you couldn't likewise be just as well served with a Champion 3100 watt inverter genset that will run an A/C, will run a microwave, or pretty well anything else you may want to run, but just not all at the same time. It's not expensive, in fact far less costly than a similarly sized Honda or Yamaha, but because it's an inverter genset WILL be significantly quieter than any open frame contractor style genset, so YES you can have your cake and eat it too. You just have to be willing to manage your power draw so it's always within the limits this genset can provide ... without waking up the dead. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

waldreps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not trying to be rude but I can't afford a generator as quiet as some of you are demanding. I'm sorry that I'm not rich enough to camp next to you. For the trip I'm going on, it's a music festival and not a campground so that's why I'm not too concerned about the noise. Most other people there use the same type of generators that I'm looking at and nobody cares. If I'm the most hated person in the campground cause I can't afford a super expensive quiet generator then it's probably not a campground I would want to camp at. I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I just don't like getting repeatedly jumped on cause I can't afford the top of the line equipment. I think people should be a little more forgiving and stop hating people cause their generator is a little louder cause they couldn't afford the expensive ones. What's next... Is my camper too old or is the paint too faded to park next to you? It's fine to be considerate of others and I try to to the best of my ability, but spending 3 times as much just so I don't upset you with a little more noise seems ridiculous. I'm researching and buying the best deal and quietest one I can afford. That's the best I can do. I'm sorry.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
bikendan wrote:
waldreps wrote:
Ok, I think I decided to pass on the Generac. It's probably a good deal but after buying the adapter, it's not much less than the brand new Champion 3500/4000. The Generac did have the wheel kit on it whereas the Champion does not (it can be added but for $45 more). I figure I can rig up some wheels on it though for cheap or sit it on a cart.

good luck with your camping neighbors!:E
have you done any research regarding decibel noise levels or do you just not care?
the Generac is so noisy, no one publishes a decibel noise rating.
yes, the Champion 3500 is a little quieter but it still is way noisier than an inverter generator.
remember, decibel ratings are logarithmic, so an good inverter generator will be close to 1/4 as loud as the Champion.

Quiet suburb, conversation at home. 50db (rating of Honda 3000)
One-fourth as loud as 70 dB. (the Champion's ratind is 68db)

Chart:

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

Noise level & how it impacts upon anyone within earshot of his generator & his convenience does not seem to be of any concern. It is all about price. Price, price price.

Being the most despised person in the CG carrys no weight in genny choice. Hope none of us ever have the misfortune of being within hearing of him & his generator.

I was driving along the other day in my Lamborghini Aventador Convertible, when I became very annoyed & inconvenienced temporarily by the driver in front of me in his Hyundai, whatever you call it. :R
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
waldreps wrote:
Ok, I think I decided to pass on the Generac. It's probably a good deal but after buying the adapter, it's not much less than the brand new Champion 3500/4000. The Generac did have the wheel kit on it whereas the Champion does not (it can be added but for $45 more). I figure I can rig up some wheels on it though for cheap or sit it on a cart.

good luck with your camping neighbors!:E
have you done any research regarding decibel noise levels or do you just not care?
the Generac is so noisy, no one publishes a decibel noise rating.
yes, the Champion 3500 is a little quieter but it still is way noisier than an inverter generator.
remember, decibel ratings are logarithmic, so an good inverter generator will be close to 1/4 as loud as the Champion.

Quiet suburb, conversation at home. 50db (rating of Honda 3000)
One-fourth as loud as 70 dB. (the Champion's ratind is 68db)

Chart:

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

Noise level & how it impacts upon anyone within earshot of his generator & his convenience does not seem to be of any concern. It is all about price. Price, price price.

Being the most despised person in the CG carrys no weight in genny choice. Hope none of us ever have the misfortune of being within hearing of him & his generator.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995