cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you have to have a special driver's license?

curlysue321
Explorer
Explorer
With a 34-38 foot class A does one need a special driver's license?
47 REPLIES 47

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the OP was asking about Kansas, at least that is where his profile says he from. He probably doesn't give a hoot about California, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia or even Maryland.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I don't, because I would buy one light enough so that my Oklahoma Class C permit qualifies. Class C is the "normal" private vehicle category in Oklahoma.

However, it is also possible to buy a type A motorhome heavy enough to put the license into a different category, particularly when towing. Weight ratings determine license categories more often than does length.

At 34-38 feet, one can find motorhomes with GVWR from 16,000 to 33,000 pounds, GCWR from 20,000 to 43,000 pounds or more. So that length range covers a lot of the licensing spectrum for most states. Weight ratings determine license categories more often than does length.

For accurate information related to OK licenses, google "Oklahoma title 47"

Your "normal" license is a D (not a C). And in OK, for RVs, weight is irrelevant. With your D, you can drive a 54,000 GVWR Prevost, and pull your toys in a 12,000 GTWR enclosed trailer.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
sayoung wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
curlysue321 wrote:

I can only speak for Texas residents,here if your GVWR exceeds 26000 lbs(wieght not length) then you need a Class A non-commercial.get your states drivers handbook for both non-commercial and commercial and read up.

Actually, for a single vehicle(Class A) that's over 26K a Class B exempt is what you need.

Jim
The B restricts you to a 10K lb max trailer behind your rig,why I got the A,same test/money to TxDPS.

He was asking about a MH, not about a trailer.

Jim

Its the GVWR of the vehicle and the GVWR of any attached car/trailer and even with a MH you probably are pulling a car or trailer sometimes so your combined rating is what determines if you need A B or C,IN TX.Tx adopted the FED regs as told to me by my friend the TxDPS compliance officer.
when reading any states license handbook,read furthur than the 1st reg you come to that says what you want to hear,our state handbook has "exemptions" then you get to the "exceptions to the excemptions" which starts at the magic 26000 LB GVWR limit of private vehicles driven with a C license.Now whether you will ever be gigged for non compliance is another thread.

Totally agree with most of your post, however, regarding the GCWR, a unit being "pulled" be it a car or trailer, the weight begins at 10K. Now a Class A exempt which includes TV and trailer, as in our case, is a TV weighing 13K and trailer at 18K. GVWR of UNIT is greater than 26K, but a MH at 25ish, pulling a toad would not require a Class A, according to the good folks at DPS in Livingston.

Jim

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I believe that the cut off is generally pounds (26,00 perhaps)and I think that CA requires one for over 40 ft. look at your drivers license, mine sez up to ?? lbs.

bumpy
Bumpy, is that a Va. license?

no, that was my MD license. I stopped by the DMV in South Hill, VA, a couple of years back and the woman at the desk grabbed a booklet and showed me a page that covered vehicles requiring an ungraded license. I pointed out that there was no picture of a RV in the cluster of outlines but that didn't phase her. when I got home and read closer, about 2 inches down was a statement that it was not required for RVs. that was a couple of years back but I suppose it has not changed. I have heard of MD residents having a VA resident drive a DP to the DMV in MD so they could take their test legally.
Lacking a DP weighing 26,001 lbs. I have not checked that out lately.
bumpy

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
I believe that the cut off is generally pounds (26,00 perhaps)and I think that CA requires one for over 40 ft. look at your drivers license, mine sez up to ?? lbs.

bumpy
Bumpy, is that a Va. license?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40' Class A with a Class B. Not required in California unless longer than 40', I just wanted one.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Kansas Driver's Handbook--Page 2 has the breakdown of licenses by class of motor vehicle.

same license wieght rules we have,just worded a different way.
OP just needs to know the GVWR of the MH and if towing anything the combined GVWR.If over 26K lbs total then a Kansas A or B non-com.
Its allways in the states DL handbook

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
May different states have different terms.... I don't know. My Delaware License is a CDL Class A, that lets me drive tractor trailer. A Class B is for straight truck, OVER 26,001 pounds. Some states now require "endorsements" and/or a NON-CDL for weight or length or both. As the saying goes, "It's a crap-shoot out there", but whatever is valid in YOUR HOME STATE, is good throughout the rest of the states.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
curlysue321 wrote:

I can only speak for Texas residents,here if your GVWR exceeds 26000 lbs(wieght not length) then you need a Class A non-commercial.get your states drivers handbook for both non-commercial and commercial and read up.

Actually, for a single vehicle(Class A) that's over 26K a Class B exempt is what you need.

Jim
The B restricts you to a 10K lb max trailer behind your rig,why I got the A,same test/money to TxDPS.

Jim

Its the GVWR of the vehicle and the GVWR of any attached car/trailer and even with a MH you probably are pulling a car or trailer sometimes so your combined rating is what determines if you need A B or C,IN TX.Tx adopted the FED regs as told to me by my friend the TxDPS compliance officer.
when reading any states license handbook,read furthur than the 1st reg you come to that says what you want to hear,our state handbook has "exemptions" then you get to the "exceptions to the excemptions" which starts at the magic 26000 LB GVWR limit of private vehicles driven with a C license.Now whether you will ever be gigged for non compliance is another thread.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
sayoung wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
curlysue321 wrote:

Jim

Jim

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Kansas Driver's Handbook--Page 2 has the breakdown of licenses by class of motor vehicle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
Since nobody really answered your question, I will take a stab at it.
Here is what I found on the California DMV website.
www.dmv.ca.gov

Its longwinded but the answer to your question is NO.

Class C driver license -
โ€ขYou may drive a: ?2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.
?3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
?Housecar 40 feet or less.
?3-wheel motorcycle with two wheels located in the front or back.
?Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver.

NOTE: The vanpooldriver must have a valid medical certification on file with the DMV and carry a valid medical card. The driver must keep in the vanpool vehicle a statement signed under penalty of perjury, that he or she has not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last five years (CVC ยง12804.9(j)).
โ€ขYou may tow a: ?Single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, including a tow dolly, if used.

โ€ขWith a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a: ?Trailer coach or 5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
?5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.

โ€ขA farmer or employee of a farmer may drive: ?Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less, if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire or compensation.

NOTE:
โ€ขClass C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle.
โ€ขA passenger vehicle, regardless of weight, may not tow more than one vehicle.
โ€ขA motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen weight may not tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (CVC ยง21715)

and this applies to Kansas because?
bumpy

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since nobody really answered your question, I will take a stab at it.
Here is what I found on the California DMV website.
www.dmv.ca.gov

Its longwinded but the answer to your question is NO.

Class C driver license -
โ€ขYou may drive a: ?2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less.
?3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
?Housecar 40 feet or less.
?3-wheel motorcycle with two wheels located in the front or back.
?Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver.

NOTE: The vanpooldriver must have a valid medical certification on file with the DMV and carry a valid medical card. The driver must keep in the vanpool vehicle a statement signed under penalty of perjury, that he or she has not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last five years (CVC ยง12804.9(j)).
โ€ขYou may tow a: ?Single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, including a tow dolly, if used.

โ€ขWith a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a: ?Trailer coach or 5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
?5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation, and with endorsement.

โ€ขA farmer or employee of a farmer may drive: ?Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less, if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire or compensation.

NOTE:
โ€ขClass C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle.
โ€ขA passenger vehicle, regardless of weight, may not tow more than one vehicle.
โ€ขA motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen weight may not tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (CVC ยง21715)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
curlysue321 wrote:

I doubt if it will do you any good, but in Montana, no.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
sayoung wrote:
curlysue321 wrote:

Jim