cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical damage to 5th wheel at Campground

Nana7204
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent stay, upon setting up, I heard a sound - I listened for a minute - nothing, but soon I loss my back A/C and I ran and turned off my front A/C. My husband went to the office and the owner called the electrician and said it's site 35 again. Again? We had paid for 50 amp service. Long story, short. My refrigerator nor my microwave no longer works and they say because they have a "hold harmless" clause on the email they sent for confirmation, they are not responsible. I would like your views and help.
27 REPLIES 27

Nana7204
Explorer
Explorer
The campground was Blue Heron In Gothenburg, Nebraska. A Good Sam's - and I have tried to contact Good Sam, but to no avail. No return calls. The electrician told us that he told them they needed to relay the wiring because of damage from previous flooding. That from site to site the electrical strength would drop off and he even helped us move to another site.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since they included the "Hold Harmless" clause you need professional help.

A good lawyer can turn that Hold harmless around and shove it up their wallet.

But alas, I can not.

This I can say, however I caution it borders on politics.

SCOTUS (The Supreme court of the United States) Rules many years ago that accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt.

Now the explanation of why I typed this:
To my way of thinking a "Hold Harmless" clause is an admission of intent to damage.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same thing happened to me 10 years ago. The advice to contact your insurance company is what I did in the end. Trying to deal with the campground well only lead to frustration and consume your personal time up. After my experience I too went and got a Progressive EMS unit and have had a few instances where it saved my stuff.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Just playing devil's advocate for a second.

There is no proof that the campground was aware of the problem and was cavalierly allowing the site to be used on 50 amp. What appears to have occurred was the camper heard the campground talking to the electrician and saying "Yes, it's site 50 again". Far from damning evidence since it's quite possible that the last time the site was used on 50 amp there was a similar problem and the campground did the proper thing and call the electrician. The electrician duly came out and claimed to have fixed the problem. So now the camper turns up and the campground has put them on a site they believe to be in good order. It really isn't their fault if the electrician mis-daignosed and fixed the wrong issue.

Just a thought...

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not a lawyer.

Fuzzy if the comment really makes a lot of difference. On the surface, it seems to imply they knew there was a problem and gave you the spot anyway but they could always claim they thought it was fixed, so it takes it out of the realm of gross negligence.

If you are nearby and want to go thru the hassle, you could try small claims court but it will likely cost you far more to get a lawyer to pursue it than you would get back.

Insurance is likely your best bet. I wouldn't lie if they ask but I also would play a little dumb (It just went poof and by the time I shut the power off it was too late.) Do make sure to cycle thru and have everything remotely checked out. Electrical issues can be tricky to find all the issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am an attorney (no attorney jokes, please), so maybe I can be of some help. First, know that state laws differ significantly, and I am not familiar with Texas law. However, as a general rule, making claims that they are not responsible for any occurrence before it occurs is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Even if it were valid in Texas, which I doubt, then the fact that the park knew your site was problematic may automatically make them liable. However, at $200 to $300 per billable hour, you would probably pay more in attorney fees that the costs of repair. The suggestion of making a claim on your insurance is excellent. Your entered into a contract with your insurance carrier to pay for damages such as this, and let them try to recover from the campground.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If they have an ongoing issue with that site and keep letting RV's get damaged, their "clause" is useless to them.
Continuing to let a problem damage other peoples property is gross negligence and YOU cannot sign that responsibility away.

There's been so many of these posts lately.
We're geting a 50A RV this week and I will not plug into a CG 50A without an EMS!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
These cost less than most insurance deductibles, and will protect your sensitive electronic devices when there is a malfunction:

Electrical Management System

I think that is a little late now.

Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben1 wrote:

Post the name of the CG they are not helping you and we deserve to know
You're about 50 miles north of me. I really would like to know.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
These cost less than most insurance deductibles, and will protect your sensitive electronic devices when there is a malfunction:

Electrical Management System
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Only a lawyer could tell you for sure if you might have a case due to site 35 having a "history". Any thing else is pure speculation.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Darsben1 is right. Report this to your insurance company and read what you are asked to sign. How will you prove anyone said "it's site 35 again?" How was your RV electrically protected?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What does the hold harmless clause state?
CAll your insurance company get your rig repaired and let the owner of the CG and your insurance figure it out.
Post the name of the CG they are not helping you and we deserve to know
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind