Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 V6 Ecoboost Turbo XLT 8,400 TC

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all and thanks all in advance,

So I've figured out that this journey of figuring out a tow vehicle is definitely not an easy. But I think that I have found a truck that could meet my needs. I was wondering if this truck could perform when pulling trailers? I am a newbie and looking on purchasing a 20' trailer and really don't see myself towing anything bigger than 20-25 feet . The V8's are expensive! Is this a good truck for what I need it for? Thinking of taking long trips to national parks? My buddy mentioned that the engine might not be enough? But if the tow capacity is 8,400 and I stay well below, the truck should be good? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to make my way through this adventure! Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
You are good with that. Listen to the advice on here....but you are good.

I tow a 37'er with a heavily modified 1/2 ton pickup. Have done TONS of research and also have a very well paid, trained, personal mechanic. "Some" of what you read on here in regards to weight is garbage....you have to do the research and determine the capacities for yourself.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Please pay attention to the truck's PAYLOAD capacity, as much as you are the Towing Capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Anything but the base naturally aspirated V6 shoudl do well. The 2.7L Ecoboost is an interesting compromise that should perform well with <6000 pound loaded RV.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay with a 20-24 foot trailer you will probably be fine. BUT double check the cargo capacity of the truck.

The cargo includes:
*people
*stuff in the truck
*hitch head
*tongue weight of the trailer = 10-15% of the trailer LOADED weight

Cargo capacity is quite often the limiting factor, rather than towing capacity.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
The 3.5 ECO with 3:73 gears and you will more than fine ! Check the yellow sticker in the drivers door for CCC. Gearing is what is important for towing. Ford uses that engine with other gearing for much better gas mileage.

Smooth, quite, powerful.......for your needs, it will be a very good combo. Granted, I'm basing this on my experiences over the last few years with an ECO here in the flats of the S/E part of the country.

Use the search feature here for volumes of info on the 3.5 ECO.

Good luck !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Should be fine, maybe better than the V8, given the trailer sizes you are suggesting. (I'm still not sold on using it for the full 10k tow capacity some of these turcks are rated for).

In good condition, it will put out as much or more power than the V8. Also with the turbo, it will put out more torque at low RPM, which is useful for getting the load moving.

The biggest adantage is if you get up into the mountains, you lose negligible power. A naturally aspirated V8 will lose something like 4% for every 1000ft of altitude due to thiner air, so at 6000ft, the V8 is down somewhere on the order of 24% while climbing a steep grade where you need the power the most you are down on power. The turbo packs the air in, so there is negligible power loss at altitude.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
For 2016 there are two EcoBoost V-6 engines - a 2.7L and a 3.5L.
Are you talking about the 2.7L engine? And what rear end ratio?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do believe you will find that the V6 EcoBoost is just as expensive (Actually more) as a V8. You will also find that the V6 Ecoboost has more power than the V8s offered in the F150s. You will also find that the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost has a higher tow capacity than the V8.
So yeah. the 3.5 EcoBoost will do all you want, and more.

But if the V6 you found is NOT a EcoBoost. You won't be happy
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That truck will be fine with the lighter trailers. If you equip it with maximum payload and maximum towing packages, anything under 25' will be OK.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton