cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire ring/bowl??

Lilrhody
Explorer
Explorer
Do you travel with one? What do you use? Hubby doesn't want propane - only a real wood burning fire.
30 REPLIES 30

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
We carry one of these. Fold Up Fire Ring

Bought originally on Amazon, but not sure they have them now. Walmart has it on-line, but it says 'out of stock'. I'm sure you can find one somewhere!

Keeps the fire contained and folds flat into carry bag for travel. Nice and simple. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
One campground we frequent in the spring and fall requires any fires be in a raised pit, so we picked up one of these Portable Fire Pit on sale at our local Ace Hardware. It seems to work just fine, is light enough to handle easily, and came with a storage cover. I think if we had to do it over, we would get one of the propane units - we already have an external gas hook up, and would not have to deal with firewood, ashes, or all that lousy smoke .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:

Aren't wash tubs galvanized?

I have never seen one,some are stainless, had one of them. These are enameled.
Here is a stainless one
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I used a old wash tub for many years,but I had a trailer with the toys on it so I had plenty of room.

Now with the Class C I had to find something smaller.I found a small wash tub that fits in the cargo compartment. I put it in an old laundry bag for transport and it keeps everything clean.

It works great and I can use it in a fire pit or stand alone. With the legs on it is legal in every park that I have been in here in the west.

The nice thing about a wash tub fire pit is that it gives heat all around it and contains the fire.

Aren't wash tubs galvanized?
2013 ACE 29.2

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a old wash tub for many years,but I had a trailer with the toys on it so I had plenty of room.

Now with the Class C I had to find something smaller.I found a small wash tub that fits in the cargo compartment. I put it in an old laundry bag for transport and it keeps everything clean.

It works great and I can use it in a fire pit or stand alone. With the legs on it is legal in every park that I have been in here in the west.

The nice thing about a wash tub fire pit is that it gives heat all around it and contains the fire.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Around our neck of the woods, RV parks don't have fire pits, but all the campgrounds that we frequent have them.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Most places I have stayed have a rule against open fires except in the fire pit that they built for you. I don't build a campfire at all as a rule, so I don't have experience if that rule is broken. I heat with a wood fired furnace 5 months of the year, and I smoke food in a wood fired smoker the summer months, so when I get away the last thing I want to do is tend yet another fire...

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one of the round elevated portable fire pits from CW, took it on one trip and now it sits in storage. There are too many CG's that either do not allow fires, or if they allow fires you have to use their pits on site.

For us the portable pit was another beginner waste of money spent at CW.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Pit-2-Go, which is a very heavy folding fire pit (Square) with an elevated fire tray (So it does not burn the grass under it) and an optional spark arrestor/fish grill you can put on the top.

I had an el-cheapo from Wal*mart but I gave it away.

Many get the tub out of a washing machine that has died of old age and use it.

(They make very good fire pits but, alas, BIG storage wise).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry one of thee on my OFF-ROAD trailer all the time. Have never been told not to use it.

Sometimes the provided firepit is way off to the edge of the camp site. we like sitting under the awning sometimes with the fire closer to us. Then we can roast the footsies along with the wieners...

Cloudland Canyon, Trenton, GA

My 32-inch firepit w/lid was purchased from AMAZON.

I usually carry a couple of logs under the upside down firepit when stowed on my trailer for the first fire in case we arrive too late to pick up local firewood. Yes - I already know this may be illegal at some camp grounds bringing in your own firewood. I burn it right away...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Lilrhody wrote:
Do you travel with one? What do you use? Hubby doesn't want propane - only a real wood burning fire.

Look on Kickstarter for the Campfire in a Can. They have a new product that looks really amazing and solves your delima. You can use it with the propane kit like their old one, with charcoal to cook with, or with real fire wood! I will likley be backing it. Pretty cool RV accessory.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
On certain trips, like Yosemite, we take along a washing machine tub. I made handles and welded up a base for it. It can't be beat for being the best for heat distribution.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it depends on which part of the country you are traveling. Most places east of the Mississippi seem to have an old truck rim or similar fire ring at each camp site. Wood is available for purchase from them or venders nearby. Due to bugs like the Emerald Ash Borer, transportation across some state and county borders is illegal.

I prefer a wood fire as I also like to cook over it.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Even though DW doesn't like them - I always keep two fireplace 'fire logs' in the TT for a fire if we want one and don't have time or desire to shop for local firewood.

Don't bother carrying another gadget with propane.

We camp hosted at Big Bend NP last summer - where wood fires are never allowed. One evening a law enforcement ranger spotted folks sitting around one of the "Little Red Campfire" units in the link above. He finally told them to put it away because it violated the 'open flame' prohibition. Then vowed to get the regulation rewritten to include those.

My opinion is anyplace which doesn't allow open flame fires, or wood fires, would also not allow those. Might be wrong.

They are certainly less hassle than an open wood fire.

Another place we camp hosted allowed wood fires - and about once a week - the LE ranger would write a ticket because someone did not completely put their fire out before leaving camp, or going to bed. Well he didn't write tickets after bed time - just made the folks get up and dowse the fire.

rjxj wrote:
I dont know what size it is

The Little Red Campfire is 13.5 inches x 13.5 inches x 10.7 inches without the propane container - about 1 cubic foot.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know what size it is but I had one in my city backyard that was about 3 ft in diameter and sucked propane like crazy. When I moved I was glad to leave it behind. If it used half as much it would still be too much.