cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beginners Guide

dweeks
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby and I are beginning our journey into the RV world. I've been reading tons of information on the forums while hubby has been primarily listening to podcasts to learn all we can about RVing. What we would really like to find is 1 or 2 good books that will give us some good information on being RV owners. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

dweeks
Explorer
Explorer
cdevidal wrote:
I'm new too. There is a sticky here in the Beginner's forum with lots of great resources and questions answered including some good books to get. Have a look.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the Open Roads Forum

Thank you! That is very helpful.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
The second is Robin Williams, RV-The Movie (2006). This story takes place with a motor home.

The big rolling turd!
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm new too. There is a sticky here in the Beginner's forum with lots of great resources and questions answered including some good books to get. Have a look.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the Open Roads Forum
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound really stupid, but there is a good reason and logic to it... Get the movie "The Long Long Trailer" (Lucy Ball and Desi Arnaz) (1953). It a time honored classic. But beneath all the slap stick humor is a VERY serious message for RV enthusiasts. Watch, listen, and learn (in a fun way), but this movie covers ALL the basics of RVing with a trailer.

The second is Robin Williams, RV-The Movie (2006). This story takes place with a motor home. Here again, lots of slap stick humor and a couple of themes running through the story about family relationships and one's loyalty and dedication to their place of employment (which by the way, ends with a very good ending). But under all the comedy is also a very serious undertow for RV enthusiasts. Lots of "Do's and Don'ts" and the over all movie, if pulled apart from an RVer's perspective is chocked full of tid-bits. Aside from the family-work relationship, is also dealing with other campers, dealing with the logistics of an RV (which is where most of the humor comes from), dealing with choices, campground etiquete, traveling, finances, and a bunch of other issues.

The non-RVer watching either of theses movies would probably just brush them off as dumb comedy. For the serious RVer, there's lots and lots to be gained by them if you approach both movies with a very serious RV critical eye.

I watch both movies at least once a year. Not so much for the comedy value, but because there is just SO much in these movies, I'm still discovering little tid-bits I've missed that are so true. And the older I'm getting and the more I travel with my camper, the more these two movies mean to men.

So, if you can get a copy of them, sit down with a big pot of pop-corn and a drink with your spouse and enjoy the comedy. Then wait a couple days and sit down and watch with a paper and pencil and take notes! You'll learn more from these two movies combined than tons of reading.

My advise... Watch, and learn!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you ever need to know about RV's is available on the internet and this forum is a great resource.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I bought this one. Not sure it is exactly a beginners "guide" but I felt it could be a helpful resource to have on board. We're pretty handy and I read this forum A TON (for years) before buying, and continue to read now. That's where I learned most everything I know. You have to know how to sort the good advice from the questionable, but every question gets asked over and over and you eventually end up with an amazing education.

Many of the mods we've made have been based on reading others' experiences and deciding to prevent them before they have a chance happen to us (e.g. an awning lock). I think DH thought I was being too cautious until he was following behind an RV in WY whose awning ripped off in the wind (almost hitting DH's car). Anyway, I like the upgrades and he appreciates them as well.

I don't know at what level of "beginning" you are, but what I read between the lines of some of the prior responses was maybe you should try renting (if you haven't already) to ensure you like the RV lifestyle. It's also a GREAT way to learn what you like/don't like in an RV.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I think the best advice I got was - don't be in a hurry.
Take your time. Think before you do. It's when I'm in a hurry I make mistakes. If you have a question you can ask here or do a search. Lots of helpful people.
Enjoy!
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost any RV book found anywhere is a good resource. So's the RVing FAQ above.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon page of RV driving books.

The Safe Driving Tips For RVers: Two Lane Roads is a kindle edition worth reviewing, especially if no one has pulled a 10,000 trailer or driven a 60 ft long vehicle before.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

dweeks
Explorer
Explorer
Like everything in life, there is a learning curve, but when you're investing this much money into a new lifestyle, it's good to be as prepared as possible to take care of that investment. I appreciate all the suggestions and links. Thanks.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend doing specific searches on YouTube using "rv maintenance", "safe rv towing", "rv winterizing" etc. You will find tons of good info there.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
lots of short videos here

RV Geeks
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you. Just do a search on amazon. there are a lot to choose from. I tried to link a few, but couldn't figure it out. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older edition of Woodall's RV that is rather dated. They now have a 4th edition that might be OK. What you need is basic information on how each system operates. You then should download files from the website of each major component that is installed in your particular RV. You will find a wealth of information on forums, but take everything with a grain of salt.