Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready for the RV world

Delarm
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone

As the title says I'm getting ready for the RV world....im looking into the first step which is something to pull a trailer/5th wheel with. With that in mind I had some questions. I have a Ram 1500 right now but looking at trading it in and I have found a amazing deal on a 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 6.7l Diesel but it has 3.42 gears in it. Now I will also use this as a daily driver. So I have read that these gears are fine and I have read that they are very bad for towing. I've also been told they will be fine as long as I get a external transmission cooler installed. Any help from people with experience? I doubt Ill ever tow anything to monstrous just enough to fit 4 people and a dog comfortably. Thanks for any insights.
9 REPLIES 9

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Usually you decide on what trailer/5th wheel you want and then search for the truck to pull it. If you want to stay with the current truck then work out the max ratings for the truck (tow, payload, axle, etc.) and find a trailer you like that can be pulled without exceeding ANY of the maximums. Actually, the more fudge factor (trailer max below truck max) the more comfortable will be the towing.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the 3500 diesel/Allison only to pull the trailer and daily drive a Jeep Patriot.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I have a SRW 1 ton pickup for my fifth wheel and I use a "roller Skate" as my main driver. Works well.
David

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree with Scott, you don't need any add ons. That truck, with that gearing, would be capable of towing any size trailer within it's payload and axle ratings.

Jerry

You have found the truck now it is a matter of finding a trailer or 5th wheel that DOES NOT EXCEED that trucks payload.

One very important thing to remember is that most RV dealers when they talk weight they talk unloaded weight. You will be told that yes your truck will tow that RV and only come to find that yes it tows it but you will be white knuckled every time. I know this from experience.

With a 5th wheel you will hit the limit on payload (Hitch pin weight) faster then the towing capacity. So you will need to know the pin weight and the loaded vehicle weight rating (GVWR) for the 5th wheel.

Do the research on exactly what your trucks limits are and then find the RV that comes in under those limits and you will not have an issue.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
...capable of towing any size trailer within it's payload and axle ratings.

Jerry

This is the most important point made so far. The problem with 3/4-ton diesels is that the drive train is heavier than a gasser and you will end up with less payload available for the trailer - especially if you are looking at fifth wheels. If you think you might end up with a fifth wheel, just go straight for a 1-ton SRW diesel truck. You won't be disappointed - and won't have to upgrade trucks again later.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that a diesel turns at a much slower RPM than a gasoline engine. Those that compare gearing between the two have no clue.

For a daily driver, my suggestion is to use a roller skate of a car, thus using the correct tool for the job.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pick the trailer before you buy the truck. At least you should have a very good idea of the trailer you will eventually get, how much it will weigh loaded, what pin weight/tongue weight it will have, etc., before you decide on what truck you will buy.

A diesel pickup will not be rated to handle as much tongue weight/pin weight as it's gas counter part. Did you know that? Know what trailer the truck has to be able to handle before you buy the truck and end up with too much trailer and not enough truck.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with Scott, you don't need any add ons. That truck, with that gearing, would be capable of towing any size trailer within it's payload and axle ratings.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never read anything that indicated those gears are
"bad" for towing. They work great for towing within the specs of the truck.
You do not need any extra coolers unless you tow well beyond the trucks specs.
You have one very strong, tough truck. Gone are the days when you had to add junk to make them work better.