cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam or AAA?

kjyoung24
Explorer
Explorer
I remember as a kid some campgrounds we went to were AAA approved and we received discounts on our stay. I see now there is a Good Sam membership. Which is more widely recognized these days, AAA or Good Sam? Which gives you more bang for your buck?
13 REPLIES 13

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of the ones that missed it too because I don't think of AAA for campground discounts though we are AAA members. If that is the case GS probably has a wider group of campgrounds offering discounts. At participating private campgrounds, AAA usually gets you 10%.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rav
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
kjyoung24 wrote:
I remember as a kid some campgrounds we went to were AAA approved and we received discounts on our stay. I see now there is a Good Sam membership. Which is more widely recognized these days, AAA or Good Sam? Which gives you more bang for your buck?

I believe the OP was asking about campground discounts not road service. Good Sam is more widely recognized for that purpose but many campgrounds that give a discount for Good Sam will also give discounts for AARP, Military, AAA, Library Card, breathing, etc.

I find it funny how many "missed" it!

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We're on a 10 week trip and have noticed about 50/50 between AAA and GS for the 10% discount. Sometimes they offer both, but of course we only get one of them. It looks to me to be a toss up for us this trip, but I've not noticed as much AAA on other trips.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
It can be hit and miss with both. Neither company "tows" anything but contracts out to third parties which can be good or bad depending on the area.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have both AAA for RVs and Good Sam. There's a AAA close to my home. They're good for CG listings at my destinations. But most of their service folks don't have the equipment to change a tire on a MH. Good Sam hasn't failed me yet because I haven't needed them yet. I had CoachNet, again because they're close to home, but they couldn't find me with a flat on my toad. But I was already in American Heritage RV Park in Williamsburg, VA. where there's rarely an RV. Yeah, right.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Good Sam Club card at Camping World for $25/yr. I find numerous campgrounds that offer discounts at least here out west. Also gives gas discounts at Pilot and Flying J as well as discounts at Camping World.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
kjyoung24 wrote:

I believe the OP was asking about campground discounts not road service. Good Sam is more widely recognized for that purpose but many campgrounds that give a discount for Good Sam will also give discounts for AARP, Military, AAA, Library Card, breathing, etc.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
AAA is great for your car. It does not appear to have the resources for Larger RV and Trailer emergency service....(I can only cite my family personal experience) We currently have Good Sam. From my one call, AAA would have been better changing the flat tire on the CAR. AAA tour books are certainly not what they used to be, they just barely touch a few points of interest. We don't use paper maps anymore...I-phone and Google map. So for us, it is GoodSam.
JMHO

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I give you my experience with AAA.
1) IT IS NOT coast to coast and the help you receive is dependent upon the club area you are in.
2) I had a year with AAA where I needed 2 tows. They were both expensive for AAA as the nearest place for service was 75 miles away on one occasion and about 30 the next time. AAA refused to renew my coverage for the RV.
Now my experience with Good Sam.
4 service calls last 12 months no problems and they renewed my coverage.

Campground Discounts seem to be more available with Good Sam versus AAA
and you get other discounts including free dumping at Camping World as well as discount on fuel at Flying J ( not good for me)
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
AAA

1) Walk in locations
2) Free maps
3) Free travel guides
4) Free DMV Services
5) Great Roadside Assistance

shall I go on?

The above is only good if you have a AAA office nearby. The closest AAA location for us is over 200 miles away so it does not benefit us.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
AAA RV coverage may not be available everywhere you want to go. Check carefully for the areas you will be in. For RVing, we prefer Good Sam and the 10% discount and they have more parks participating as we travel. My two cents worth, others may disagree.

AAA does offer the maps and other services listed above. For us, GS works better. Good luck!

rav
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees Club also has some good discounts on camping.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
AAA

1) Walk in locations
2) Free maps
3) Free travel guides
4) Free DMV Services
5) Great Roadside Assistance

shall I go on?
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!