Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GOODYEAR G159 DEATH TRAP TIRES.

Trashwagon
Explorer
Explorer
RV Tires and Tire Failures

Safety and RV Tire Failure

RV tires are more susceptible to failure from defects because they endure heavier loads, more diverse road conditions and longer periods of time out of service. Tire safety should be of the utmost importance to every RV motorist, because their tires are subjected to a greater variety of conditions than passenger vehicles. RV tires that are used at or near maximum loads during hot weather are more susceptible to explosion. While parked, RV tires sit out of service for long periods of time; how they are stored can seriously compromise their condition. These factors push the limits of RV tires, rendering them unsafe for use.

Goodyear G159 Tire Failure and Recall

Consumers have reported that the Goodyear model G159 tire in size 275/70 22.5 fails without warning, causing serious, damaging RV accidents. This popular Goodyear tire was not designed for use on recreational vehicles, but still wound up on more than a few. It features a serious design flaw that could potentially cause a catastrophic RV wreck, leading to severe injury or death. The G159 Goodyear tire has a history of de-treads and failures as a RV tire, and we urge motorists to discontinue them.

RV Tire Failure resulted in the deaths of two people, when their RV tire de-treaded or delaminated and the steel belted tread was thrown off inside the wheel well and punctured the unguarded propane fuel line causing a massive fire while driving down the highway. The elderly couple were unable to escape the burning recreational vehicle and burned to death. (Willis Law Firm Case)
Goodyear and some RV manufacturers have initiated limited recalls and tire replacement programs for the G159, but there are thousands of RVs still in use today equipped with this defective tire model. Fleetwood, Monaco and other RV manufacturers used the defective G159 Goodyear tires on several of their Class A RV models manufactured between the mid-1990s and 2004. If you drive a RV with Goodyear tires, check to see if they are of the defective G159 model.

Lawsuits have already been filed to recover damages caused by these tires, involving RV owners who suffered serious accidents and injury resulting from one or more instances of G159 tire failure. If you or someone you know have been injured in a RV wreck, RV crash or RV accident because of a defective tire, you may want to speak to a lawyer or attorney about a potential products liability lawsuit.

Recreational Vehicle Tire Safety

Please note that, unless otherwise specified, the term "RV" here applies to recreational vehicles, motor homes, travel trailers, 5th-wheel travel trailers and slide-in campers for pickup trucks. More information about your specific vehicle and its tires should be contained in the owner's manual supplied by the manufacturer. Additional information concerning your tires is available from your local tire dealer, or the tire manufacturer itself.

If you own a recreational vehicle, remembering the following important safety guidelines will help you obtain the best performance from your RV tires:

Maintain proper inflation pressures
Avoid excess loading
Inspect tires regularly
Drive with care, and at appropriate speeds
Serious injury, even death, may result from tire failure originating at tire underinflation and/or overloading of your RV. To make sure you maintain the correct inflation, check the air pressure regularly. At least once a month, before each trip, and each morning you drive during a trip should suffice.

Check your RV tiresโ€™ inflation pressure "cold." A cold tire is one that hasnโ€™t been driven on for at least three hours, which is the optimal time to get an accurate pressure reading. A tire that has been driven on for short distances โ€” even just 1 mile โ€” is no longer considered โ€œcold.โ€ Heat generated during driving increases air pressure above the proper cold inflation pressure. This is normal, so never "bleed" air from a hot tire, since this could dangerously underinflate it.

The proper inflation pressure for your RV tires should be determined based on the actual loads on the tires, which can only be determined by physically weighing the vehicle. This changes from trip to trip, depending on how the vehicle is loaded. Once you have your RV weighed, consult a tire chart to find out the correct pressures for your tires; relevant tire charts can be obtained from your dealer, and most RV tires will have a maximum pressure explicitly stated.

The load range for a tire is also printed on its sidewall in letter code. A tire chart will explain these letter codes, and help you determine the ideal load range for your RV.
22 REPLIES 22

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Trashwagon wrote:
I just purchased my first RV and discovered that it has these tires on it. DOT 093. Twenty two years old.... I'm sorry I offended your expert sensibilities and thank you for your welcoming comments.

Guess this is not the forum for me, eh?

Yeah, may be not for you.

You cannot join ANY internet forum and make one of your first posts copy/pasted text of old trash news as you did and not get heat about it.

Heck, you didn't even provide a source/link to the text you copy/pasted, which was so obviously copy/pasted. Come on man! Very...very poor etiquette.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man, I just love BadYear tires. :R
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Trashwagon wrote:
I just purchased my first RV and discovered that it has these tires on it. DOT 093. Twenty two years old.... I'm sorry I offended your expert sensibilities and thank you for your welcoming comments.

Welcome to the forum. From the way I understand your post, you're an OTR Owner/driver with quiet a few years of experience , (especially when it comes to checking out the condition of tires), and you purchased an RV with 22 yr old tires on it, and never noticed this till after the purchase? That's the way I read it. I would think previous owner would be at fault...weird thing is, these tires lasted 22 years:E

I believe if that info would have been included in your first post, it might have went differently.....Time to buy new tires....tires are one of the first things I check out on RV's, as well as any cars or trucks I purchase...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to know just who decided on the "DEATH TRAP" designation. That just does not seem like the wording I have ever seen in many years of NHTSA recall notices. I just don't think that is a Federal Hazard Classification!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Trashwagon - Excuse us for being snarky. There are so many times that somebody comes on the forum, makes one post about something that has them ticked off, and never replies again. You didn't do yourself any favors by making the post, then not checking in again until four days later.

So I apologize for my comment, and look forward to your participation.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Trashwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Probably a Goodyear TROLL......:B....Dennis

Not hardly, thank you for such a warm welcome....... Maybe I should go over and try FMCA.??? BTW: after 45+ years as an OTR owner operator I thought I'd pass this on to another unsuspecting first time used RV buyer so they wouldn't get stuck with 6 of these POS.

Trashwagon
Explorer
Explorer

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't seen this before, appreciate the thread. The first link, from 2010 tells it very clearly.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our '02 Georgetown in 2010, it had the original chassis year ('01) GY's on it (19.5" wheels) and had just under 12K miles on the odometer. They looked fine from the trad wear point of view. On the way home after picking it up, I stopped at Les Schwab and ordered a new set and didn't drive it again until the store manager called to say the tires had arrived.

AFAIK, the spare wheel still had an '01 GY tire on it when we sold the rig 4 years later.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK! OK! So he's a Good Sam member Goodyear TROLL....I stand corrected....:W....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dog registered his pet cat as a member!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Except he is a Good Sam member

You can make your dog a Good Sam member if you pay the fee.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except he is a Good Sam member
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
One (post) and done?

X2. :?