cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large Family

nettech207
Explorer
Explorer
I have a family of 8 6 kids myself and wife are TT sleeps 9 comfortably but I noticed allot of the camp grounds state 6 max per site what do large family's
do ?
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on the campground and you you do one of the following:

1: Park elsewhere
2: pay a small additional charge for the extra 2 bodies (This is to offset the cost of additional water,sewer,electricity,trash pickup)
3: Manager says "OK" no problem

and 4:

I watched a family..like 7,,Pull into a state park like 8 or 9 pm (After the office closed) They all used the shower and other facilities and by 7:30 am were gone..... Office opens a 9

So they camped for free.... Tell they got home and the police knocked on their door.. Defrauding the state is a serious offense don't you know.

(Manager came in before sun-up and inventoried the park taking down license plates... Once every pulled in at night registred he sent the remaining plate to my employer (State Police) and.. Well).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Just make all your kids wear the same style and color of shirts each day. No one would be able to count that many anyway! The average person probably couldn't tell if you had 3 kids or 20 kids with you.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen max numbers per site in Fed Forest campgrounds. But I've also seen 15 people at the same campsite. Frequently.

No one cares.

I've had KOAs charge us $5 more per person, and different KOAs waive it.

Just my observations

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the places we've stayed have a limit, but it's on Adults in the site. Sounds like your family is spread over the years, so probably not an issue. Again as many have said, call! The worst they can say is "no"
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This TV was seen at a CG near Spokane last summer. Belonged to a large family from Alaska of 8 or so. They had a long TT that everyone fit into. Haven't yet heard of issues with large families. Have seen problems with parents and just one child that shouldn't be allowed in...

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The limit imposed by campgrounds is to keep multiple families/friends from sharing one site. No one will deny you a site....they might charge you for additional people, but will probably wave that fee if you explain that they're all your kids.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt anyone will say anything. In fact, on a few web pages I have even seen where they mention that you can have more than the minimum IF the kids are all yours, lol.

That said, please bring your whole family and camp next to us because we only have one always lonely only child who asks for a sibling daily. ๐Ÿ˜‰

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
nettech207 wrote:
I have a family of 8 6 kids myself and wife are TT sleeps 9 comfortably but I noticed allot of the camp grounds state 6 max per site what do large family's
do ?

Last year I ended up camped near a polygamous family. They had a large motor home and two cars. The KOA park wasn't very busy and we were the only two rigs in that area of the park so the extra cars weren't an issue.

I'm a newbie but I think I've seen parks charge extra $ per person over a set #.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a commercial RV park, you tell them how many people and they will decide how much to charge.

At public campgrounds, you can either explain your situation or hope nobody is counting. I've not encountered a six person restriction at public campgrounds I've used, more often it is something like one RV, two tents per site, and if a group needs more room they'll take a couple of adjacent sites.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

nettech207
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the input

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Most around here charge couple buck per head for over 6 people

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad we're on opposite coasts and I'm not camping right now-you could let a few of yours spill over on to our campsite. I've only got one and always paid the family rate which is usually 2 adults/2 kids!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I too have 8 children, although they are all grown, and most have given me the happiness of grandchildren. To date, and for the last 35+ years, when there is a limit to a campsite, I have told the office that they are all mine...really, and we have not had a problem. Yes, I pay for every warm body. On occasion, when we are staying for a destination, like Campland on the Bay in San Diego, and I wanted to set up a campsite for a week, I would reserve two sites adjacent and set up tents, barBq, tables and chairs, and stretch out. I've never had anyone say my family was too big for the campsite.
Hope things haven't changed over the years.
Happy Trails.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I imagine it would be a reason to ask you to leave if the situation got desperate.
Otherwise I would ignore it since I am sure your kids are all perfectly well behaved.

Reminds me of staying in Motel 6 many times as a kid on vacation. Family of 5 and 4 person maximum. One of the kids always had to duck down as we passed the office. ๐Ÿ˜‰