cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must have RV accessories

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are new to rving and will be getting our new Jayco 28BHS travel trailer soon. We are wondering what are the must have cannot live without accessories that seasoned rvers have.
41 REPLIES 41

reader2
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up all the must-use-daily things and store them in the camper....mostly items that are easily overlooked and forgotten...like toothbrushes, toothpaste, contact solution and case, pillows, etc.
I'll second the TP, but point out the RV kind breaks down better as it is made for camping and won't clog drains...I have heard that certain brands are ok if you use lots of water, but dealing with clogs in the camper doesn't sound fun...I'd rather pay a bit extra (Walmart carries it for about $2.50 for 4 roles).
I'd advise you take your first trip to a place either close to home or close to a Walmart or other convenient store..load up what you think you need and get what was forgotten.
2012 Zinger ZT26BL

Holly-n-Matt
Explorer
Explorer
We bought The Swiffer Sweeper Vac based upon a recommendation from my Aunt who has an RV and I love it!

Other things I'd add:
A bin for the shoes outside the door
Fuses
Extra Batteries
A Binder For All Your Manuals (already had to bust them out!)

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
My Additions to the List:

Bottle Jack large enough to raise your trailer. ( 10,000 #)

Spare lug wrench

Electrical adapters for your electric cable.

collapsible water jug.

If you have room, one of those square tents for over the picnic table.
(Not a must)

Extra pieces of wood or plastic spacers for under your stabilizers and Hitch stand. (Minimum of 10)....a must!

You know of course, this will never stop. LOL
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

Riplin
Explorer
Explorer
Dry erase board. We have alot of gadgets in the rv. But we would have forgotten most of them if it wasnt for the board we write on whenever we need or forget something

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Portable ice maker! Don't leave home without it.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water Thief.

Flush King.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
MasterCard or AMEX
Everything else is easy
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
A really good flashlight.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

wkandxj
Explorer
Explorer
Tools, definitely!

What we did our first night out last month was think about a day in our lives from start to finish. Wake up, then coffee. So a coffee pot, coffee and filters. Then we realized although we prefer regular coffee over instant, instant is better. Doesn't require a pot either. Then a shower. And so on.
2013 Dutchmen Kodiak 291RESL
2012 Nissan Titan SL

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
A good mattress topper.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Emergency trianagles, Ice maker if you use alot of ice and don't have one in the rv. Emergency brake down service. Braces for inside the refrigerator to keep things from falling out when you open the door. Some type of grill if you want to cook out. Toiletries so that you don't have to keep moving them on and off the rv. Good tire guage. Fan for out doors. If you have a black tank. hose to use to flush black tank, for this we use a regular green garden hose. Leveling blocks if you don't have stabilizers attached. Waste basket for bathroom and kitchen. Flaslights.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
This will get you to any sewer connection location and elevation a CG can throw at you!

I guess I am not explaining well enough. The actual opening for the sewer was a good eight inches down inside the wall around it. It was very narrow. If the rhino rested on the edge of the wall, it was about 3 inches from the hole. Because of the narrowness, I could not angle it down into the walled area. I was wondering if there is an extension that the cone shaped part can screw into to help it reach down to the hole in those cases.

That sounds like a sewer opening that is only meant to put just the hose down in to when dumping. Not with the elbow attached on the end of the sewer hose. The opening should have threads to be able to use the elbow.

And if I understand correctly what the opening looks like, it is the type that many CG's require a rubber sewer donut to be used. Which the donut sounds like what you need.

Take the elbow off sewer hose, place donut in hole and insert hose.
If you don't have one and it IS the type of sewer opening that needs one my bet is the CG store WILL have one for you to purchase! :B:W

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39313-Sewer-Hose-Seal/dp/B000BQQWKA

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
Duct Tape
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
This will get you to any sewer connection location and elevation a CG can throw at you!

I guess I am not explaining well enough. The actual opening for the sewer was a good eight inches down inside the wall around it. It was very narrow. If the rhino rested on the edge of the wall, it was about 3 inches from the hole. Because of the narrowness, I could not angle it down into the walled area. I was wondering if there is an extension that the cone shaped part can screw into to help it reach down to the hole in those cases.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos