cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to TT - TT Tow Weight Question

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and fairly new to TTs. I bought my truck prior to the thought of purchasing a TT - my wife went camping last weekend with some friends and is fired up about purchasing an RV. We have 2 sons (11/5) and a dog.

I am getting confused with the different weights listed and some of the online calculators, what I want to know is what would be the maximum trailer weight that I can pull (I will add a safety factor as I won't max out my capacity), or maybe someone can give me an "RV Weight for dummies" version. I haven't started looking at TTs and don't plan on buying a new truck anytime soon, I would imagine at least 1 trip a month, probably 2 at the most. I will be using weight distribution/sway control so any advice on those as well would be great. Most of the TT sites I have looked at show an Unloaded Vehicle Weight, Dry Hitch Weight, and some show a GVWR for the trailer. Hopefully I have given enough information about my truck.

My Truck
Ram 1500 Express Special Edition crew cab short box - 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 rear end, 6spd trans, 4x4, tow package, 4/7pin connections, heavy duty transmission cooler. GVWR - 6900lbs, Max payload 1660lbs. Max tow published for truck is 10,350

Thanks
Clint
51 REPLIES 51

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The Rockwood 2702SS is similar to my TT, Heartland North Trail 28BRS. We love it given the weight and size. I thought I wanted a u-dinette, but now I am glad I have a regular dinette, cabinet, and counter next to the door. It's a great place to hold things without entering the TT.

I like the Prime Time branch or Forest River. The Tracer 245 and 2950 are interesting for you. Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty 282BHDS is a little different, swapping thew kitchen and dinette.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Coachmen? For TT's we like the Apex model, link for the specs below.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/products/apex.aspx?page=specifications

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
So in keeping with my original floor plan of the forest river Rockwood ultra lite 2702SS - is there any other TTs out there that you would recommend I research? I know it can be like house shopping, the main features we like are the U shape dinette, and double bunks, sofa would be nice it would be extra sleeping spots if some other family members wanted to come - of course they would have to drive themselves so I can monitor payload......

2702SS

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post. I too am in the same delima, well, kind of. I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with the tow package but I'm looking at a 6K Toy Hauler.
I'm looking at a Hyper Lite 27 HFS, 6K dry weight, 30' in length. I'm wondering if I can safely tow that or not.

I'm look some other people in here, I'm not going to load the TH with water, fuel, fire wood, etc. I'll do all that when I get to the camp site. We'll have enough clothes and stuff for two adults and two kids. We'll probably take some food but I'm not going to load it down with food. There will be five small dogs but that's one bag of dog food. Sounds like some people pack out enough to live in one of these for a month!

To the OP, have you looked at Toy Haulers?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swanny297 wrote:
pappcam wrote:
2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0 .

Pappcam - how do you like the flagstaff? I think I should also look at bunk house options as well and this floor plan is very similar to the Rockwood Ultralight 2702SS

Flagstaff and Rockwood are exact twin brands. same floorplans with same features and made in the same factory.
only differences are model numbers and decor/outside graphics.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS - 2011 F150 XLT 5.0 .

Pappcam - how do you like the flagstaff? I think I should also look at bunk house options as well and this floor plan is very similar to the Rockwood Ultralight 2702SS - What is your GVWR and payload?

My comment about the bunks was geared more towards my kids not liking bunks - my youngest has bunk beds at home and rarely if ever sleeps up top, my oldest son has Down syndrome so a I was thinking more collapsible bed space like dinettes and couches. My local dealer sells the Rockwood Ultra Lite line and in looking, the 2702SS may be another option as it has similar laydown bed space (dinette, couch) with the bunks in the back, plus it is a lighter, and my youngest probably would sleep on the lower bunk.

Thanks for all the replies you are helping guide me in the right direction.

Clint

Explorer II
Explorer II
bguy wrote:
As an experienced Ram 1500 and TT owner, stick to below 6000lb dry and you should be fine. The biggest thing with a Ram is to increase tire air pressures and make the truck more stable while towing.
This.

Something under 6K dry with a CC of maybe 1200lb would be your sweet spot. 1 slide.

Don't over think it. Find something the DW likes in your ability range and go enjoy it. If you want more TT get a more capable TV.

Bunks are great with a family. My opinion is you would be making a mistake not considering a bunk house floor plan, but to each his own.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6k ish dry is a good limit for most half tons. 7k+ there are a lot more comments about stability from half ton owners.

What does "don't have to worry about bunks" mean? Having dedicated space to keep those sleeping bags, pillows, as well as closest space for kids is useful for most families. There are some families that do not have bunks, but they are rare. Just a warning.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
swanny297 wrote:
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Ramona

How does the Ram feel towing this? It says the hitch weight is 865lbs, that doesn't leave much payload????

The trailer my wife was in and liked was a Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite - it was the 2703WS - the more I look at this floor plan the more I like it, I know having 2 boys I will have to drop the dinette and couch to sleep but at least I don't have to worry about bunks.

Your truck and the 2703WS are a good match. That's basically as big as I'd tow with a 1/2 ton.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
In reading through my Ram manual there is no mention of 150# driver - here is what the definition of curb weight is:

Curb Weight
The curb weight of a vehicle is defined as the total weight
of the vehicle with all fluids, including vehicle fuel, at full
capacity conditions, and with no occupants or cargo
loaded into the vehicle. The front and rear curb weight
values are determined by weighing your vehicle on a
commercial scale before any occupants or cargo are
added.

From this we know payload = GVWR-Curbweight. The curbweight of my TV is 5400lbs as measured on a CAT Scale. So that leaves me 1500lbs of payload capacity.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
rams door sticker include a 150# driver and full fluids.
In the manual and on the build site.
I'm not lying to ya promise! If you can prove me wrong please do so!

No "occupants". Not Ram, not Toyota, not any OEM vehicle manufacturer.

About 20% of loaded TW is removed from the tow vehicle axles when front axle weight is full restored with a WDH. 65% is some mythical number give the distance from ball to rear axle is the same as the TV wheelbase. There are no vehicles made that way.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
bradyk wrote:
Now add the the wife,kids, bikes, toys, firewood and whatever else goes in the truck and subtract that. Add another 100 lbs for the hitch too. Then fill the water in the trailer, 2 full propane tanks, 2 batteries, food, clothes and all the other junk we bring with us. Then reweigh your 400lb tongue weight and see where you are at. I bet the 400 tongue is really not close to tgat in real life even with my Equalizer hitch.Mine is similar size and weight and we started with an F150 loaded to the max and a little. Switched to 3/4 ton and would necer go back. Rides better, more stable and peace of mind that we have lots of lbs to spare. Can you do it yes. Safe and recommended probably not. At least from my experience with a similar size and weight.

I think some of the assumptions of what everyone absorbs their payload is what makes these discussions good - we all try to guess at what we will put in the TV - what if we only put people. We live in Louisiana, I won't be hauling any firewood, for outdoor fires I will get it wherever we end up camping, bikes would go on the back of the trailer, unless we were primitive camping tanks on the trailer during tow would be empty. If I don't put anything in the truck except the family and dog I will have almost 900lbs of payload left (thats using 600lbs of payload capacity and besides me I have a skinny family so even that is over estimating). The Andersen WD hitch weighs 60lbs so I am downto about 840lbs of payload.

Like everyone says until you hit the scales you never know, but until you know where you are camping, for how long, primitive/non primitive, supplies etc. how can you throw everything you think you need in your truck and trailer and hit the scales. All I can go by is what the stickers say and what other members have experience with, balancing the 2 can be hard.

It would be nice if there was a spreadsheet that showed actual weights with different TV payload, and TT payload capacities and how it effected the hitch weight etc...

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
As an experienced Ram 1500 and TT owner, stick to below 6000lb dry and you should be fine. The biggest thing with a Ram is to increase tire air pressures and make the truck more stable while towing.

X2

Everything I've read on this forum and others, any half ton truck is happier towing a 6000 pound or less TT. Those are out there even bunkhouse models. Just looks at the build weight sticker on the TT. That is usally found inside a cabinet.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Why, exactly, is this a "problem"?

In the total context of my post we were discussing the towability of the OP's truck and possible trailer purchases. He was trying to do the math like a responsible person should but was using incorrect information. If even the alluded weights were correct, he would have 500 lbs. of payload remaining. That payload would be diminished by the weight of the passengers. Does he have enough left for a box of Kleenex? What happens if the brochure weights are incorrect?

I think the "problem" you are referencing is, "Is it safe to tow at the maximum of payload rating?" I believe you can determine the answer to that as anyone else is free to do. IMO, there is much more to towing safety and handling than weight ratings, as your post illustrates. Would I recommend a TT tower to keep below the payload ratings? Yes, both for safety and to keep the vehicle in a good operating condition.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton