cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TT suggestions

Tugbball
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at purchasing our very first TT. We are looking at these.

Jayco Jayflight SLX8 264BH
Palomino Puma 28FQDB
Forest River Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

Now as you all know I keep hearing horror stories. So I would like to know if any of you have had experience with these brands or models? I have done a ton or research and I think that I am down to these. But, you all may have more suggestions. Looking for bunks for 5/2 year old boys. Thanks All!
15 REPLIES 15

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Since only 2 have given you an answer based on your question, you might want to go to a manufacturer's forum and read all about any issues or good reports. irv2.com has such forums.

It seems you have picked out your choices depending on the floorplan so it would be nice for others to comment just on those choices.

Original post:
Tugbball wrote:
My wife and I are looking at purchasing our very first TT. We are looking at these.

Jayco Jayflight SLX8 264BH
Palomino Puma 28FQDB
Forest River Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

Now as you all know I keep hearing horror stories. So I would like to know if any of you have had experience with these brands or models? I have done a ton or research and I think that I am down to these. But, you all may have more suggestions. Looking for bunks for 5/2 year old boys. Thanks All!

Seems to me the OP is open to other suggestions - un-wad your panties...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given those 3 options, two of which are Forest River products, personally I would lean towards the Jayco. That's a personal opinion from a 2 time and current Forest River product owner, who will never patronize that company again.

Not that they build a bad unit per se, but you better look long and hard at the specific one your considering. The one that rolled out the factory door at 11:00 AM may be a POS, the one that rolled out at 11:20 AM may be close to perfect. The consistent thing is if you do have an issue requiring Forest Rivers involvement expect much him hawing, run around, red tape, and at best slow communication. That is if you can get any factory support whatsoever.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP seems sophisticated and wouldn’t tow overloaded. (Back my opinion up please OP)
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since only 2 have given you an answer based on your question, you might want to go to a manufacturer's forum and read all about any issues or good reports. irv2.com has such forums.

It seems you have picked out your choices depending on the floorplan so it would be nice for others to comment just on those choices.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:

And check out Grand Design's Imagine 2800BH, they sell a lot of them and I'm happy with our GD. There's also a very active Facebook page for GD and GD Imagine owners, go there & see what people say about GD.

I concur - look at Grand Design's travel trailer line.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
Nobody asked so I will - what are you towing it with?

And...........we're off! Lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Very first?
NONE of them!
As a first timer your far better off buying used. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Somewhere within the first two years of ownership you will realize either A, you hate the RV life and sell it. Or B, will realize its not what you want and trade for something else. Most of us have bought and sold several RVs over the years for the above reasons.

Concur !

X3!
Rarely do people keep their first rv long. They figure out what they really need or wan't and trade.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody asked so I will - what are you towing it with?

And check out Grand Design's Imagine 2800BH, they sell a lot of them and I'm happy with our GD. There's also a very active Facebook page for GD and GD Imagine owners, go there & see what people say about GD.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 2010 Puma new and had really good luck with it and sold it last spring. Only had to take it to the dealer for a water heater board replacement. Bought another Palomino product and did not experience the same results had a list of repairs including a cracked floor. In the end i don't think it matters brand wise. Go with the unit you like best.

Tugbball
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the advice. But my plan is to buy new. I don’t plan on selling because I need a place to stay when I go to the gulf coast. I own a salt water boat and need a place to stay when I go fishing.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iraq has a good point. Consider bringing an experienced RVer or pro to help inspect a used TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Jayco 26BH new 5 years ago and have never returned to the dealer for repairs. There were some minor issues I've fixed on my own but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jayco. Now that I've had some time to familiarize myself with the systems in a travel trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to look at used units but as a first time user, that maybe daunting.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Very first?
NONE of them!
As a first timer your far better off buying used. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Somewhere within the first two years of ownership you will realize either A, you hate the RV life and sell it. Or B, will realize its not what you want and trade for something else. Most of us have bought and sold several RVs over the years for the above reasons.

Concur !

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very first?
NONE of them!
As a first timer your far better off buying used. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Somewhere within the first two years of ownership you will realize either A, you uate the RV life and sell it. Or B, will realize its not what you want and trade for something else. Most of us have bought and sold several RVs over the years for the above reasons.