cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Slides without Battery.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
We removed our battery for the winter and put it on a battery tender. Now we want move the slide enough to get into the kitchen area but to my surprise the slide will not operate with just the trailer hooked up to the TV for power. The trailer is in storage and we don't have access to shore power. Is there anyway you can operate the slide without a battery installed?
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR
10 REPLIES 10

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
If the slide is hydraulic, there might be an access to the end of the motor shaft. Ours can be turned with a quarter inch hex drive chucked into a cordless drill. It is a little slow but much easier than cranking by hand.
Russ

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have 4 choices.

Provide power (120vac) for the converter (NOTE: may not work)

Lug the battery back out (Heavy) and put it back

Manual Slide operating (It's in the owner's manual bag)

And the one I'd suggest.. A good set of HEAVY DUTY jumper cables to connect the Tow Vehicle battery to the battery lead on the Trailer.

On the negative side connect to the trailer chassis or the metal part of the hitch and MAKE this connection LAST, (Break it first) when you hook up and unhook.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
Take the battery back over to it.
X2
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Take the battery back over to it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not simply re install the battery. Do it properly or just use booster cables. Yes you can hand crank the slide but that will take all day. A drill might work but bring extra charged batteries for it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How many wires were on the battery? My previous HTT had separate power leads for the slide, and the rest of the trailer 12V electrical. I had to tie the cables together to get the slide to run w/o a battery.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you have removed the battery raises a RED FLAG to me. Hope the terminals are not touching ground or each other when you add external DC power or connect to shore power without the trailer battery connected up..

I was going to suggest nosing the truck up close to where the battery goes and use JUMPER CABLES being direct connected to your truck battery,,,

You just have to watch the polarity of the cables and not blow some fuses if you get them REVERSED...

My slide handle was laying in the closet floor near the bedroom.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
Plug the tail into the truck while running works for me

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a handle. My TT has a handle that will operate the nose jack and the slide without power available. There should be about a 1" or so big hole on the opposite side of the trailer from the slide. Mine is just behind the step.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision