cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Generators

sac89
Explorer
Explorer
I see on here a lot of signature lines with different size generators. I have noticed a lot of 2000 watt Honda's on here. I currently have a big 5000 watt loud as he!! generator that trips it's breaker often. I would love to get a quieter Honda or Yamaha generator, but...

a) I don't have $1800+ to shell out for a used one
b) I don't know what size i would need for my 29' TT with lots of electronics and a/c.

What is an adequate size generator to run a TT with an A/C, microwave, LED lights throughout, coffee pot, etc? I do understand and follow running high wattage items individually.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
When and if you get the money, the 2 Honda 2K generators with the parallel cord are a great way to go. You get a 30 amp plug, they are quiet and you can carry them around.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
sac89 wrote:
It was also pointed out to me, that I am not using the 5K watt generator properly. I have my 30 Amp cord coming out of my TT using an adapter that plugs into the generator that is a three prong typical household outlet. Instead, there is a port on the generator for a 4 prong adapter that will allow additional power.

I wish i had a pic to show you, but apparently I need to get an adapter that goes from the 30 amp three prong to a 4 prong 20 amp outlet, instead of the 110 volt adapter. This may sound like babble (because truthfully, i have no idea what this all means), but i am not taking advantage of the capability of my big, heavy, super loud generator that annoys everyone within a 1/2 mile radius of me.

Unfortunately, you can't get a (simple) adapter that will let you use more power from your generator. It produces 240V 20A split phase, while you need 30A 120V single phase. At no point in the generator circuit is it capable of producing more than 20A.

You could use a 240V to 120V transformer of sufficient power handling capability. Something vaguely like this should in theory work. (Note: I know nothing of the quality of this particular unit!) You'd need to also get appropriate connectors and cables to hardwire it up, and probably should enclose the connections to it, and be stuck having to tote around a 75 pound box. In my opinion, your money and effort would be far better spent getting a better, more suitable generator.

(Also, please note that not all generators can be pairedโ€”that really is only practically possible with inverter generators, at least in the sizes we're talking about, and they do need to be specially designed to be capable of doing so. It's not possible to hook together two random generators, nor safe to attempt to do so.)

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Champion 3500/4000 too. For the money it will take care of you like no other IF you are out in the boonies. I would never subject others to it's noise. For $425 we got the upgraded version with remote electric start, wheels and handle.

Champion does have a line of inverter generators that are becoming popular due to price, reliability and customer service. They have a 1000, 2000 and 2899w inverter generators that cost half as much as the compatible Honda/ Yamaha generators.

clicky
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Stormpeakco
Explorer
Explorer
++++ on the twin Honda 2000s (i and companion with parallel cord).
(similar to Honda residential snowblowers) sure seems to be a gold standard for RV-AC use when dry camping.
we live/camp @ altitude but on the eastern seaboard you may consider propane twin 2000s if you are not satisfied with your current set-up.
AND perhaps consider a cart (link to Amazon and type in Magna Cart) to move around the generators any significant distance.

sac89
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info! Lots of great stuff here. I never thought of running two generators in tandem. That is an interesting idea. It was also pointed out to me, that I am not using the 5K watt generator properly. I have my 30 Amp cord coming out of my TT using an adapter that plugs into the generator that is a three prong typical household outlet. Instead, there is a port on the generator for a 4 prong adapter that will allow additional power.

I wish i had a pic to show you, but apparently I need to get an adapter that goes from the 30 amp three prong to a 4 prong 20 amp outlet, instead of the 110 volt adapter. This may sound like babble (because truthfully, i have no idea what this all means), but i am not taking advantage of the capability of my big, heavy, super loud generator that annoys everyone within a 1/2 mile radius of me.

I am intrigued with the two generators running parallel. I am like many others on here, however, I cannot afford to run out and spend $2000 on generators...yet ๐Ÿ˜‰ Give me time, I'll catch up with the rich folk on here! (I'm being a visionary here...lol)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"sac89".....Many buy two of the Honda 2000 watt inverter units. During non air conditioner trips, you can usually get away with running one. The 2000 watt has an eco mode for average use, but you would need to turn that off to run your microwave. On warmer trips, you bring both Hondas and run the parallel kit. Typically an A/C unit requires a 3000 watt generator to start it up and keep it running. With the two Hondas and the parallel kit you have 4000 watts which is enough to run your A/C and some other items.

For about $2000.00 you could get two new Hondas with the parallel cable. Maybe buy one now and another one later.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking your noisy 5kw unit is rated 120/240. If so, I suspect you are using 1/2 of the capability (1 of the windings) by plugging in a 120 volt cord into a 20 amp breaker and that is what is tripping. Basically you are using 2400 watts or so of your 5,000.

The portable RV generators are set up a bit different putting all the power out to the 120v circuit. So, something like the 3100 watt champion might actually provide more usable power.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
sac89 wrote:
I currently have a big 5000 watt loud as he!! generator that trips it's breaker often.

Assuming it is functioning properly, then you need something larger than 5000 watts to operate everything you're trying to run. The new generators may be quieter, but most of those are in the 1,000 W to 3,000 W range. Bigger and quieter generally don't go together with generators. ๐Ÿ™‚ But if you're tripping the breaker on a 5 kW generator, you must be running quite a few things. Do you have your refrigerator and water heater set to run on propane or electric when using this generator?

To put things in perspective, if your trailer has a 30A shore power connection, then that is a maximum of 3,600 watts available. Your 5,000 watt generator should be able to run everything you can operate when connected to 30A shore power. Now, if your trailer has a 50A shore power connection, then that can provide up to a maximum of 12,000 watts. I doubt you'd need a generator THAT big, but that's what you'd need to replace a 50A shore power connection. Our motorhome has a 7,000 watt generator and it does a good job of supplying the juice to our (50A) motorhome, including both AC's, microwave & refrigerator.

If you decide to look for smaller and quieter, I just bought a pair of these SmarterTools AP-2000iQ 2000W peak generators. Costco.com has them for $599.99 each plus another $60 for the parallel kit. I've only used them a couple of times so far, but I like them. They use the Yamaha engine. These two together should run your A/C and a few other minor thing. I liked them as they seemed to be a good compromise between the Yamaha and Honda units. I didn't like that the Hondas didn't have a fuel cut-off or fuel filler gauge. I didn't like that the Yamahas were blue (OK, that's pretty minor. They were also a bit pricey.) But SmarterTools units have the features the Honda lacked, were cheaper than then Yamaha & Honda units and they're red. LOL Like a said, a good compromise.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a Yamaha 2400 generator, and it would run a 13.5K A/C, but just barely. And then I couldn't run much else. I think 3000 watts would be okay, so maybe check into quiet generators at that power level. I've heard good things about the Champions for the price.

We have the twin Honda 2000's, and there's a reason why this is such a popular combination. Enough to power our A/C plus minor other stuff; it's much more convenient to move two small generators than one large one; QUIET!; the flexibility to only run one when small power is needed. I also have the extended run tank that holds 5 gallons.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Explorer II
Explorer II
I can run my AC, microwave and watch TV while charging the battery with my Champion 3500/4000. It's not an inverter type. I keep the fridge and water heater on propane while running on the generator.

Hope this helps
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Depends entirely on how many of those things you plan to run at once, obviously. To figure it out, you need to add up the wattage of those bits. You need both the "running wattage" and the "starting wattage", aka "surge wattage." Things like light bulbs, microwaves, computers, the running wattage and the startup wattage are pretty much the same. Things that have a motor, however, the starting wattage is typically 2-3 times as much as the running wattage.

I'm sorry my friend, but you are gonna have to do the math. Any recommendation without it is just a guess. Add up both the running watts and the surge watts (separately) of everything you want to run at once, add a bit for a safety factor, and you will have your answer. Don't forget about the TT's converter, which is going to need room to be able to recharge the house batteries.

Now for a BIG guess: you do want to run the AC with some of the other stuff. Most folks find that JUST the AC and the converter recharging batteries can be done with a 3,000 watt generator. The limiting factor being the surge draw of the AC. The central question is how much OTHER stuff you plan to run at the same time.