cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure regulator for "City Water" Hookup

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had an experience where city water pressure so high it damaged the RV plumbing? I am a newbie, but it sounds pretty far fetched.

Does a pressure regulator provide weaker pressure under normal pressure conditions?
25 REPLIES 25

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read a few posts over the years of some seeing CG pressure as high as 200 psi. I installed a "telltale" gauge which records max pressure and has been as high as 120 psi at some unknown CG. You just never know what a CG is going to deliver for their system pressure. If in a large CG they could turn it up high so that sites at the far end of long runs get adequate pressure. ALWAYS use a regulator - period. The last thing you want in an RV is a plumbing leak.

I don't know where some get that RVs can only handle pressure of around 45-55 psi. RVs are supposed to be capable of withstanding, and are supposed to be tested for, 100 psi or more. RVIA says max 80 psi. NFPA 1192 which covers RVs says 100 psi, or it might be 110 psi. Can't recall exactly and can't find a free version of 1192 at the moment. In Canada, plumbing systems have to comply with CSA Z240. When I spoke to RVwaterfilterstore a few years ago, he recommended running at 65 psi, so that's what our regulator is set at and after 4 seasons, zero issues.

RVs have been using PEX pipe & fittings for quite a few years now and is rated for 150 or so psi (depends on temp.) just like in houses. What I don't trust tho. is the cheap plumbing fixtures in RVs and I don't trust toilet valves in particular. Low pressure can also be a problem - our toilet started to fill once by itself on under 10 psi but happened to be their at the time...

I installed a Watts adjustable regulator and telltale gauge under the kitchen counter and ran brass pipe from there to the city water inlet. If you have a regulator at your city water inlet or inside, you should be using a high pressure rated hose. We have a Valterra one good rated a 160 psi (IIRC). I also installed a gauge behind the door to the water heater where I can easily read it.

When buying a regulator, you get what you pay for. The inline ones have a tiny orifice in them and can plug up easily with silt & debris. Sometimes they last less than one season. They should be at the faucet end of the hose to protect it but are sometimes are forgotten and left behind. Also, they have low flow rates. The good ones like a Watts 263A are rebuild-able and have a much higher flow rate. A gauge somewhere is really helpful.

If you are using a filter, some can be damaged by high pressure.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's best to have one. Never can tell when the campground water pressure is too great.

Also, I sometimes will just use the water in the fresh water tank, instead of hooking up "city water". I do it more to keep fresh water in the fresh water tank, but it will prevent excess water pressure from damaging your RV plumbing system if you don't have a good pressure gauge.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mycamperfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I never travel without one anymore as some campsites have a water pressure that knocks you off of your feet. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just be careful as some campsites have a faucet that has a plastic stick coming out of it which can damage the mesh of the water regulator if you get one that you put between faucet and water hose.
Michael
RV Camping Pro - Camp more, worry less.
MyCamperFriend.com

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I just fill my fresh tank and use the onboard pump.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should always use a pressure regulator. After leaks in one with a gauge, we purchased this one and have been very pleased with it:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Fixed.htm
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I've Rv'ed for over 40 years and never hooked up a regulator to my hose. No damage yet. I've had them leak at the hose because it was so high but no damage. The trailer I just bought came with a regulator so I will just leave it on the hose.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are 3 which are good. I notice a big price range. two of them you will need to buy hose adapters to use them..

This first one is complete you need nothing more but it is the most expensive of the links.

note: SHOP AROUND Most all can be found elsewhere.

Alas the Watts RV model I linked to at Grainger did not properly link

This one too comes with hose fittings and is sold for RV use

Amazon dot com

This last one (With added hose fittings) is what I use. Now Home Depot and Lowes carry these if you want instant regulation.

When I got my last one (A Zurin identical design) since I haveing trouble inding a rebulid kit for my Watts, (They do need occasional rebuilding) the 3/4 inch was both cheaper and easier to hose adapt.

Watts at Webstaurantstore.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
My city system supplies 105-110 psi to my house.. so it's quite possible for a RV site to have excessive pressure.

I was having a lot of problems with leaks in my residential plumbing. Eventually found out that the nearest water tower had been filled beyond the point where it was supposed to be (was also told it was designed too tall.) That was when the leaks started.

So if your residential system can leak from excessive pressure... your RV system definitely would.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The Sahara has one built in. This makes sense to me.

Every spring when the local campgrounds start filling up, we get a rush at the store for pressure regulators. Last spring we couldn't keep them on the shelf. The local pressure is "only" 75 psi. I have been to several parks (I think the popular Normandy Farms is one of them) where there warn you about the pressure when you check in. Of course, they have regulators on sale right there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I have one in the bottom of my hose container but prefer to fill the FW tank and use the pump at all times.

This. :B

It's not often we camp where on-site water is available anyway so even those times we do have it I just draw from the tank as I always do. To avoid any possibility of a leak I wired a light into to pump circuit so anytime it comes so does the light. When we're away from the camper I try to also make it a habit to turn the pump off.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have one in the bottom of my hose container but prefer to fill the FW tank and use the pump at all times. When the pump comes on in the middle of the night with no demand there might be a leak somewhere. With only campground water no warning until your feet are wet in the morning!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I NEVER traveled with one.... I ran into a site that had HIGH pressure and it caused a leak in my underbelly..

NOW - I don't leave home without mine . . cost - $ price.less
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Schertz
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent investment for about $30.00 (with gauge). Have observed many water pressure variations.
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Cadillac SRX

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is so old it is all copper plumbing. But I carry a regulator because, like Old Guy, I hooked up once and went out to see the potable hose vastly swelled. That became our wash-down hose.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.