cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

should i run my fride over winter?

Fineoceanparker
Explorer
Explorer
My rig sits for about six months. when i got her i was told it would be a good idea to run the fridge once a month for a day or two while she sat. the fridge is electric and propane,and i have easy access so it's quite possible to do. looking for any thoughts regarding this. thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has been sitting with the fridge off and open (in the back yard) since June due to a terminal illness in the family.

Today was the first nice day we have had in a month, since we had 26 days with rainstorms out of the last 30. When I opened the trailer up to air out I turned the fridge on (on electric) and will let it run about three days then open it up, wipe out the moisture, and leave it for the next trip.

That is probably not entirely necessary, but it doesn't hurt to circulate the ammonia and exercise the control boards.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The refrigerator can use upwards of $35 a month in electric if plugged in at home. Much less in the winter. There is no technical reason that the refrigerator needs to be run. I leave mine off most of the time, and it fires right up after purging the propane system and running the water heater for about a minute.

I would leave it off until 3 days before a trip. Also leave the doors open, or mold and mildew can build up inside the refrigerator. Some fresh air, and it will not build up any mold.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fineoceanparker wrote:
My rig sits for about six months. when i got her i was told it would be a good idea to run the fridge once a month for a day or two while she sat.

Boy, this the first time I have heard this. Shut down the frig, shut off the propane, wipe/clean the interior let it dry and store with the door(s).

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I never have, never had a fridge failure either in 14 years of RVing.

Probably shouldn't have said that, maybe I'm jinked now.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.....haven't had a fridge problem in 11 years of owning TT with propane/electric fridge.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Still running strong. Time to defrost again

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than defrosting 3-4 times a year our fridge has been ON since Nov. 2006
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
No need.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny someone else posed the question earlier today
http://forums.motorhomemagazine.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27987913.cfm
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I never run mine between Nov. And March. I've never heard of anyreason to fire it up over the winter. In fact, I always heard that turning it on an off all the time was harder on it then letting it run. Thermal cycling I think was the issue.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
According to a local cooling unit rebuilder, that sort of short term on again, off again cycling is hard on a fridge because the extreme temp transitions is are hard on the tubing.
I think your dealer is the only person I have ever heard say such a thing.
Leave it off.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
No idea, but I've never done that in 12 years of owning my TT.. Each Spring when I uncover it, I fire up the fridge and it has always worked. I shut it down between trips while I'm using it too.

I've heard folks leave them running 24/7/365.

The fridge in my house has been running for over 16 years. Not the same type of fridge as an RV fridge of course.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck with whatever you do.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.