cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprises with First NEW TT

BroncoUp
Explorer
Explorer
This is my 3rd Trailer, but the first NEW trailer.

I was surprised that it didn't come with a Clean Water hose. They told me that I wouldn't get my septic hose, but I got a $50 gift card to purchase the one I wanted from their store...so no big deal. But to find out after getting home and doing another walk through that it didn't come with a clean water hose was a surprise.

Also found it interesting that I bought a 50amp trailer but they gave me a 30amp to 15amp adapter. I called them and asked if I could get the 50amp to 30amp adapter that actually fits my trailer and was told "oh, you have to buy that separate". I guess I wouldn't assume a $30k investment would come with an adapter that doesn't even work without me buying something else to make it work. I am really nervous that I got the incorrect spare tire as well and that I need to buy the correct tire. (being sarcastic)..

Is that just me or did anyone else experience this? It's my fault that I didn't ask better questions in my walk through... just thought it was strange that they didn't tell me about the other items and must have mentioned about 5 times from the RV show to the Walk Through how I needed to purchase my Septic hose separate.
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC Turbo Diesel
2014 Jayco JayFlight 32RLDS
31 REPLIES 31

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies, too. I did lots of reading around here before I finalized the deal. Our dealer did no starter kit, only the 50 dollar gift card thing. I'd like to think I got decent deal on the major start-up accessories -- I got the overall price down where I wanted to see it but then I showed the sales guy the wholesalers quote for the exact same year / make / model and told him we need to make this deal a little better to make it NOT worth it for me to drive to the wholesalers lot. I said "I'll tell you what....make that 50 dollar gift card for a sewer hose into 1000 for all the assorted stuff I will need and we're good." He looked at me like I had 6 heads and said "1000?" And I said "Yeah, We have ZERO for accessories...we need everything from leveling blocks / chocks to hoses to an awning mat....some new lawn chairs....you name it..." He said "I have to go ask the manager." 3 minutes later we had 1000 credit in our name in the parts / accessories store to go with the new TT we where signing the papers on. I know some of the items we bought on that store credit deal could have been found a little cheaper, but for the most part their prices where right on par with everyone else's.

SkippysPad
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the best thing you can do if you're a first time RV owner....whether buying new or used, sit down inside and think of the things you need for YOUR situation. Paper towel holder, towel racks, shelf organizers etc. Same with the outside. Do you want leveling blocks or do you have a 2x10 you can cut into blocks.
X10 on the starter kits. The sewer hose in the first starter kit I got leaked the first time I used it. And the fresh water hose had a cheap plastic connector that stripped out as soon as I tried to tighten it. You're not missing much if you didn't get a starter kit. Everything in there you will replace before your first season of camping is done. We've bought 1 used and now 2 new, all from a dealer. Each time it was a pleasant gesture to receive the "starter kit" but I have quite a collection of cheap pressure regulators and 30-15 amp adapters.......about the only thing in there I've hung on to.

The only other thing I would suggest is DON'T get all hung up on buying RV specific items without shopping around. Things like refrigerator or cabinet bars that are $10.00 a pop at the RV store are nothing more than spring curtain rods you can pick up at any Walmart for about a buck each.
:B 2013 F-250 4x4 Crew, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 5000lb Air Lift rear bags,
Equalizer 1200/12K Trunnion Bars
2015 KZ MXT 303 Toy Hauler:C
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2 dogs, Him & Her:C

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we traded in our trailer at the time for a slightly used Arctic Fox in inventory at Curtis Trailers in Oregon. They provided a rather complete "starter set" like those that often come with a new unit. I appreciated that since a lot of our hoses and such were getting old. Still, I wanted higher quality stuff, so I asked if they'd give us credit to swap. No problem. In addition we got a significant discount in their parts store at the time and for the next year. It wasn't a big expense to them, but it made a very good impression. I was smiling when we drove off the lot with our "new" rig.

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's up to the dealer what they want to give you. They normally don't come with the parts you mentioned. I got the $50 gift card too and got a GOOD slinky and a couple other things. Everything else I had to buy.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BroncoUp
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Seriously, you bought a trailer. Nothing comes with it unless you negotiate that at the time of purchase. You will just have to use all the stuff you already have from your previous two trailers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

I now see that these items didn't (shouldn't have) come with the trailer and I will negotiate a better deal next time (Or atleast come prepared). It is my 3rd trailer, but first NEW trailer so I had no idea that those items would need to be discussed before hand. They mentioned the******shoot nose, but they didnt mention the other items.

Now that I know this is the norm, I feel better about it.. I am happy that I got 2 batteries and 2 full propane tanks and you are all absolutly correct... The deal we got on the Trailer (under 27k) and payments (around 4.5% for 120 months) was worth me keeping the trailer even after I assumed we were "hosed".

My plan in 12 years (if I remember) is to at least try and get a huge percentage off on items from the get go...or maybe see if they will just toss in a gift card to their shop and add it to the trailer cost. 🙂
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC Turbo Diesel
2014 Jayco JayFlight 32RLDS

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
We were given a starter kit with ours but the sewer hose was a cheap, short hose and the water hose the same. I prefer to use something of better quality and also longer so as to not have to connect two together at some campgrounds. I don't think you missed much. What they gave me was a waste. We kept it in case something happens to ours and we needed an emergency extra until we could replace. It may be useful for an extra but wouldn't last for a long time.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I was very upset when we bought our RV.

We didn't get sheets, cookware, toilet paper, extension cords, awning lights, food, or even a GPS. I immediately called and complained! They said those things weren't part of the deal! The nerve! :B

Seriously, you bought a trailer. Nothing comes with it unless you negotiate that at the time of purchase. You will just have to use all the stuff you already have from your previous two trailers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
So, if this was your third travel trailer, didn't you already have that stuff? Not being critical, just a question.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

d_eggman2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours new last spring.
Full propane, battery and starter kit.(sewer hose, fresh water hose)
Also a 100 gift card from camping world LR.
Did not come with a spare, I thought was strange.
After some delays on delivery date. I negotiated a Maxx air vent cover and spare tire and mount to be installed.

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new (2014) camper and got two full propane tanks and a standard battery (nothing to write home about), and the other items that came standard with the camper (shore power cord, etc.). I actually prefer to pick my own 'accessories' anyway, so this worked out just fine, especially considering that I got what I felt was an honestly good deal on the price of the camper.

- Randy
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
My starter kit was actually pretty decent. It came in a 5 gal. bucket and contained TP, short water hose, short sewer hose, toilet chemicals and RV Wash.

The short hoses aren't always useful at the campsite. I actually had to go to Walmart during one of my trips to buy a longer water hose, but surprisingly the short one works for many of the campgrounds we've been at.

The sewer hose is useful at the sewer dump but usually too short at most campsites.

The chemicals and RV Wash were of course useful items that I have replaced with the same brands because they worked and I don't change things that work.

My dealer also included the Weight Distribution Hitch as part of the trailer purchase. I know that it wasn't "free", but the dealer makes sure that every trailer leaves the lot with an appropriate WDH installed.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't get a starter kit, just a cheap sewer hose that leaked after a few uses. The great deal and low interest rate loan they got us more than made up for it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
We have bought two new TT's in the last 6 years and no starter kit with either, but they where deeply discount end of year sales.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the free stuff. Just give me a set of American made tires.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.