cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing with a chevy traverse

spikez
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 2012 Chevy Traverse with the factory tow package and tow a 14 ft Coleman TT. It is only 2700 lbs unloaded and tows without difficulty. We would like to upgrade to a keystone premier 19 ft TT that has an unloaded weight of 4200 lbs. There are two of us that travel in the traverse and it has a 5200 lb towing capacity. Would this be a safe and comfortable towing situation even in the mountains? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another post on the same topic, a couple of examples in there too including 34' Airstreams :E

How is the Chevy Traverse towing 5000 lbs?
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Acadia is the same as the Traverse in towing, and it's limited to a 600 lbs TW. Payload definitely wouldn't be an issue though... Our Acadia is over 1600 lbs.

We've had ours pretty loaded and it's always done well, but never tow with it (don't have the tow package). Someone on this board is towing a pretty decent trailer with a Traverse I believe... I think I've seen pics of it anyway.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
spikez wrote:
Thanks everyone. Now looking at trailers in the 3200 to 3700 range maximum on the dealership yellow sticker so all amenities included in these weights. This will give us 1300 lbs after subtracting 200lbs from the 5200lb tow capacity for the second vehicle occupant.

looking at the yellow sticker as a starting point, is the way to go, short of weighing the trailer yourself.
i think you'll be much happier towing a trailer with the numbers you're now looking at, especially in mountains.

Still way to much trailer IMO. A 3700lb "dry" trailer will have a TW to high for your TV. Believe it or not.

Good Luck

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
spikez wrote:
Thanks everyone. Now looking at trailers in the 3200 to 3700 range maximum on the dealership yellow sticker so all amenities included in these weights. This will give us 1300 lbs after subtracting 200lbs from the 5200lb tow capacity for the second vehicle occupant.

looking at the yellow sticker as a starting point, is the way to go, short of weighing the trailer yourself.
i think you'll be much happier towing a trailer with the numbers you're now looking at, especially in mountains.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

spikez
Explorer
Explorer

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about the hitch weight? With a trailer that heavy, once you get it ready to camp I suspect your tongue will be around 550-650 lbs. That's too much for the Traverse's hitch and rear suspension, isn't it?

Even if you load light and careful, and stay within limits, you won't like the combo much. After 1 or 2 trips I predict you would be shopping for a bigger TV.

My Highlander has similar tow rating and engine size as the Traverse, and I would not tow that trailer.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You taking your family camping in that setup? :h Keep the current TT, upgrade the tow vechile, then when finances allow, upgrade the TT. Or if finances allow, upgrade both at once. It's a fact that once you get camping under your skin, you will most likely be wanteing a bigger TT. Don't try pushing your limits and jeapordize the safety of your family.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '12 Enclave and I would avoid a trailer that heavy. I would look for one with a GVWR near 4k at the most. The links below are for an Enclave forum. The suspensions differs between the Buick and the Chev/GMC cousins (reason for the lower towing cap on the Buick), but they do have the same drivetrain.

Here are a few links to threads about towing with the Lambda models. Notice the weights they are carrying, and what their engine temps are doing.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=7343.0
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=8951.0
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4991.0
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Doable? Maybe. Overweight? Probably. Towing in the mountains? Slowly, very slowly.
At 4700# empty our new TT came in at 300# over the "brochure" weight. Dan covered the numbers, and to add to richardwise's comments: I came out of an Envoy rated at 5100# towing a 3850# 21SSO Starcraft hybrid with DW & me in it. And every time I went up a hill I wondered "Who put the boat anchor out?" No way would I have tried it with the new TT.
While they may have similar engine ratings, the Traverse will be running much higher RPM's to get there.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
What size are the holding tanks and water tank? A full 40 gallon water tank will weigh in around 350lbs itself. Personally I wouldn't attempt it. For a 5200lb towing capacity, I would be looking in the unloaded (dry weight) range of under 3750. By time you add options, gear, fluids and etc, you will be at that capacity in no time. Just because it says you can tow 5200lbs, doesn't mean you need to go all the way to it. Go the smallest and leightest you can and you will be much happier in the long run.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
My GMC Envoy had a hard time with a 19ft TT on the hills here in Ohio, and my Silverado with 5.3 v8 could barely get up the mountains in West Virginia with a 17ft hybrid TT. I don't think you have enough tow vehicle. After working in a Chevrolet dealership for 12 years, my humble opinion is the tow rating on the Traverse was for marketing only, to make people think it was as good as the Trailblazer it replaced. Keep in mind the Trailblazer was built on a truck chassis, and the Traverse is not.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
is the 4200lbs. number from the brochure/website OR from the actual yellow weight sticker on the trailer?
if it's not the yellow sticker number, you can add about 400lbs. for normal so-called "options" that nearly all trailers have. i.e.- spare tire, oven, microwave, awning, air cond. and so on.
so you're at 4600lbs.

now, say your wife weighs 150lbs., which is what the 5200 number is based on being the only thing in the Traverse. before you add the weight of the battery, propane, water and your cargo, you have to subtract your weight and any cargo in the Traverse from the 5200 number.
meaning meaning if you weigh 175 and you've got 25lbs. of cargo, then your towing capacity is now down to 5000lbs.

so, now you only have 400lbs. for battery, water, propane and cargo or you'll be over the Traverse's towing capacity.

can you do it, i guess you could if you only camped in Iowa or Florida. but if you're talking about mountains, then i would definitely advise against it, if you plan on keeping the Traverse for a while.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
spikez wrote:
Would you mind expanding on the "no".

I think he means, you need more tow vehicle. I agree.
Time you get the TT, and the TV loaded. You will be over weight.

Secondly. Your tow capacity rating may NOT take into consideration the frontal area of the trailer. So it could actually be less.

Another thing, and you will need to check you owner's guide, or GM to find out. You will need a Weight Distrabuting Hitch to tow the 5200lbs. There is a chance your FWD based Traverse cannot use a WDH. Only GM can tell you that. But many FWD vehicles cannot.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers