cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a Toyota Sequoia

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
I just started towing my Puma 23FB with my Toyota Sequoia SR5, with 2WD and a 5.7L engine.

When I'm towing on level terrain my engine is running at about 1800rpm. I try to maintain my speed between 60 and 65 mph,with Cruise Control and the AC on. When I start going up a slight incline, the rpm goes up to about 2900, which is fine. If the incline gets a little steeper, the rpm jumps to over 4100 rpm and sounds like the engine is straining. This is in NC, TN and Virginia.

I'm going out West and up to Alaska. Should I switch gears? Or am I fine?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG4706 wrote:
Thanks for your comments. Today I tried the "Tow Haul" mode, it seemed a little smoother. Same types of hills today and only went to 3900rpm once or twice.

Again, thanks.

Why wouldn't you have Tow/haul on in the first place? It's for towing and hauling...:h
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
oops

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a 2010 Sequoia. That 5.7L isn't straining...not even a little. Its a beast, and like all but the newest turbo motors, gas engines make all their power at higher RPM's. So seeing 4k RPM is perfectly normal.

There is a common misconception that when towing with a gas engine, high RPM's is bad and the engine is working hard. Well, its working hard, but not straining. It is working as designed.

Use the tow/haul mode and let the vehicle do what it needs to do. Toss it in S mode if you want to hold gears or have more control over gear shifts.

I also use cruise control very often on long trips. I'd say 70% of all my trip miles is with cruise on. There is no reason not to.

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments. Today I tried the "Tow Haul" mode, it seemed a little smoother. Same types of hills today and only went to 3900rpm once or twice.

Again, thanks.

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tundra, so same drive train you have. At 60 to 65 with cruise on I would expect that RPM on hills. I almost never use cruise control since we have very few flat roads.

On longer hills I don't like to push it too much so I keep it at 50-55 and around 3500 RPM. That is peak torque for that motor. Max horsepower is at 5600 although I have never tried that.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Those engine speeds seem normal to me. Peak torque is in the 4000rpm range and redline is well over 5000rpm. Personally, I would limit the trans to not use the top gear when towing a high walled RV. My combo can hold 5th gear 2200-2500rpm in the 65-70mph range.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
You will get differing opinions on this, but when pulling my 22' TT with my 5.2L
I take it out of overdrive, Flat surface or not. When inclines occur I maintain the RPM at 3200, which is maximum torque & down shift if needed to keep it there.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74