cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV question

Lilrhody
Explorer
Explorer
We want to get a tv for our travel trailer. It has a wall bracket installed already. Do we need to shell out for the more expensive "rv tv" (Jensen??) or will any lightweight flat screen work?
18 REPLIES 18

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago 5'er came from the factory with a Jensen 32". MSRP sheet showed $650 (I didn't pay MSRP!). I believe it can work off 12VDC but it's wired only for AC. Works fine but I wouldn't buy a new one at that price.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lilrhody wrote:
We want to get a tv for our travel trailer. It has a wall bracket installed already. Do we need to shell out for the more expensive "rv tv" (Jensen??) or will any lightweight flat screen work?

I highlighted the answer, Any reasonable flat screen will work, I have 3, one Dynex, one "No name" (Sansi???) from Wal*mart and one Samsung

All 3 work,, one thing though, some have better receivers (not an issue here but it can be) so some may outperform others if you are on the "Fringe" signal wise and using OTA, I'm on OTA via adapters and DVR's (The DVR's are vintage and thus need adapters) + Cable, if you are on Cable or Sat fringe is not an issue.

In my case the DYNEX was bought from a pawn shop it was chosen to fit the opening it fits like a glove, that was the ONLY consideration (that and price, pawn shops are low cost)

The Samsung was a floor model that had no remote (They lost it) I had a Samsung remote left over from an older one, same codes.

The No-Name was a black friday job from Wal*mart.

All work great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
For the cost of that Jensen, You can get a very nice flat screen & seperate Blu-Ray player & be set up. Get a flat screen with a functioning USB on the back, you'll be glad you did. Don't buy cheap, get a Sony, Samsung etc.
X2. I have a 23 in Samsung and a Sony Blue Ray player. It is very small and fits into a slot above the radio. Very nice to be able to watch movies during bad weather or before bed. Went to a local to0 the CG Red Box once.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any will work.

When we switched over I though the moveable bracket (to change viewing angles) looked flimsy, so I beefed up the wall mount and replaced the cheap aluminum screws with steel.

Added some eye hooks to the wall behind it and bungee the whole thing down while traveling.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whatever you buy............just don't waste your monies on a JENSEN.
Junk......it's what comes in majority of RVs cause they are cheap
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
All of our televisions are Samsung. Let's see, we have 2 in the camper ... 5 in the house ... sheesh!

Edit ... forgot one ... we have 6 in the house. Forgot about the one slaved from the bed room to the bathroom so we can watch DISH in the Bathroom ... 6 in the house ... OMG are we crazy!

Vizio in the TT.

Samsung & Sony in the house.

I've got 5 in the house.... missed the bathroom though ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Some smaller LED TVs, like up to about 26", use a wall wart to convert the 120vac to 12 or 14vdc for the TV. You can run these directly off the 12v power in the RV by not using the wall wart and connecting the TV directly to the 12v. Just make sure the wall wart outputs the correct voltage.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Any flat screen will work as noted above. Stick with the major brands and avoid the off-brands.

BUT: A few are designed to work off 12 volts while the majority are for 120 volt. So you need to decide what you will be running the TV off of. I have a 120 volt TV that I run off an inverter when 120 volt is not available. That's what most folks are doing.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
All of our televisions are Samsung. Let's see, we have 2 in the camper ... 5 in the house ... sheesh!

Edit ... forgot one ... we have 6 in the house. Forgot about the one slaved from the bed room to the bathroom so we can watch DISH in the Bathroom ... 6 in the house ... OMG are we crazy!

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
You can use any TV you want. I replaced my old analog TVs with two Samsung LED TVs and they work great.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to remember when purchasing a TV for the RV is to look at the viewing angle, if you can go to the store and sit lower then off to each side to see what it looks like at those angles.

Most times in a RV you wont be looking straight on at it. I found out the hard way after buying and returning 2 TVs, that sometimes at those angles the screen is washed out or black making them un-viewable.

After buying a Samsung and a RCA I found a Insignia that has a much larger viewing angle. I Run it off a small inverter or AC if I have hookups.

In my RV with the TV in the front or the rear bedroom you have to look up at it. This TV works great in both areas.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get the VIZIO HDTVs... Then I don't have to look everywhere for the TV Remote... My VIZIO size is the 22-inch which does great and I bet there is some real good Christmas deals now at WALMART. Does so-so on the camp grounds with cable hookup but really does GREAT picking up the digital HDTV signals from the close-by towns using the OTA BATWING antenna... They all transmit in full screen HIGH DEF HDTV mode now...

All of my TVs are 120VAC models. You can get a low wattage Pure Sine Wave INVERTER to run them off your battery. They only draw around 50WATTS or so...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
Any will do - My preference has been Vizio - have one in RoadAbode and two in the house. Get one that has a few HDMI, and RCA jacks and VGA if you can still find those inputs. Fun when friends can hook up their camera, or computer (or even smartphone!) to look at pictures or video from the weekend. Have fun RVing!
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

Quahog
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get on with an integrated DVD player so you can watch your favorite movies.
--Mike, Sue, Buddy, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel CC DRW
2014 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 BHS (sold)
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RSTS
B&W RVK3300 20k