cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Understanding Length

Brutus_Buckeye
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! I am new here and searching for my first RV. I am totally confused on the length for campsites.

I am having trouble figuring this all out. I own a Ford F-250 Crew can (20 ft long). How long of a 5th wheel or TT can I buy to get into most camp grounds? I hear itโ€™s hard to get a campsite that will fit a combination of vehicles over 30 feet. With my truck being 20 feet, that would leave me only a 10 foot trailer. Am I understanding this right?

Any help on understanding this would be great. I also have not decided if I will do a 5er or TT yet either. Thanks in advance!!
17 REPLIES 17

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 37ft TT (tip to tail). Have not had a problem finding a spot anywhere I wanted to go (so far).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The nice thing about a 5er is that you can set-up without the use of the rear stabiliser jacks. There is alot of distance between the rear wheels & the back of the 5er. There are seldom obstructions directly behind the measured site pad.

This gives an awful lot of latitude for fitting in. That site rated for 30' max is going to be just fine for a 36' 5er that has near 10' from rear wheels to bumper that can be left to hang if the ground behind slopes off in a big way. Can't do that with a TT.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
37 feet will fit it allot of campsites, it also won't fit in allot of campsites. We limited the length of our 5er to 30 feet because we knew the campsites we wanted to fit in, but that's just us. We had a longer one but wanted to downsize with the new one.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Brutus_Buckeye
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a Pioneer 322. Anybody have any opinions? Itโ€™s 37 feet is that too long for a lot of campsites?

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I know that Oregon State Parks that what is listed for the site is the length of the rv and tow vehicle......and if you do not fit.....there is extra parking for the tow rig.
cpaulsen

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most (if not all) NP, NF, COE, & SP list the length for the camping unit, Not overall length, many sites will fit a unit (regardless of type) longer than listed, if you have room at the rear to hang off the back end, as long as your wheels are still on the pad.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled extensively with a 42' fifth wheel and just upgraded to a 43.5' fifth wheel. Both pulled by my crew cab/long bed truck (22').

Every once in a while I'm assigned a site that I can't get into. But I've always been able to get into another spot. Though, sometimes parking is tricky.

There are also campgrounds I can't or won't go to at all. But I have always found somewhere nearby to camp.

Length hasn't been an issue for me.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
A good gut check would be take a drive around various campgrounds and see what people are towing and the spaces they are parked in. That will show you what you can reasonably expect to be able to do with certain setups.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Brutus Buckeye wrote:
Thank you guys for all the advice. So it sounds like a 30โ€™ 5er or TT would be fine in most campgrounds. I am using it for family camping, not full time living. I will be pulling it across country as we move from Ca to Tn.

A 30 ' fifth wheel when hooked to your truck will be shorter overall than a 30' TT hooked to the same truck due to several feet are over the trucks bed. I pull a 42' FW and have yet to find a campground we couldn't get into.

Good luck and have fun shopping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Artum Snowbird wrote:
From seeing so much on here about fifth wheels and three quarter ton trucks, if you have a crew cab and need it for the kids.. you will want a trailer. It seems the trailer towing ability exceeds the fifth wheel capability for most three quarter ton trucks.

3/4 ton is usually about a wash between bumper pull or 5th wheel in terms of the max trailer weight.

1/2ton is where you can usually tow significantly more with a bumper pull (slang for a traditional trailer ball style hitch not literally one attached to the bumper).

To the original question, the length usually refers to the RV not the tow vehicle. Often it's expected that the truck will be parked crosswise at the front of the site to save space.

There is no specific definition for how to measure a site so if in doubt, give them a call but most parks won't have an issue with a 30' trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our 40' motorhome pulling the Jeep fit in many national parks, national forest campground, state parks, county and city parks. Don't be concerned about a 30' RV & truck. You'll find plenty of places.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Brutus_Buckeye
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for all the advice. So it sounds like a 30โ€™ 5er or TT would be fine in most campgrounds. I am using it for family camping, not full time living. I will be pulling it across country as we move from Ca to Tn.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI hear itโ€™s hard to get a campsite that will fit a combination of vehicles over 30 feet.โ€œ

Instead of hearing rumors, read. For instance try this for our state parks...https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Good Sam account representatives and Woodalls before them measure the 'usable width and Length', that is from the road to obstruction such as trees, from power pedestal to the next or to obstruction such as a hedge or fence. They average these measurements, show that in the listing. Remember its an average. Take note that only camps with a Good Sam rating have these measurements. Listed but not member camps claim their own facility.
Camps not rated use their own ideas, but on experience, length published is of usable level space for the rv., not necessarily total length where the tow can be parked in front, or width where the tow can be parked alongside or angled.
Our caution flag pops up when google earth shows short when rvparkreviews.com reviews dispute size

We always reserve with a phone call, to verify space,and dates, then an online with email verification.