Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leak Frozen Toilet Line

mdecastra
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Here is a good story for those who are new to Class A. I did my normal winterizing on my first winter. The spring time came and went out on a quick test trip.

When I hooked up the city water, there was a leak in my bathroom. With a little research, I determined it was a small line leading to my toilet. The winter froze the line (and the fitting the connects to toilet).

Long story short, don't forget to read all your manuals to see what devices have to be winterized. No one told me to winterize the toilet. All the winterize post have talked about blowing pipes and adding antifreeze, etc.

The toilet needs to be winterized manually to be sure the line is free from water and the toilet flushed to be sure no water in the fitting).
27 REPLIES 27

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Clarification. If you have a black tank flush / wand system installed for your black tank......best option is to get you an adapter to screw into the fitting on the side of your camper, hook up some compressed air, and BLOW IT OUT. Be mindful of your air pressure though.

I use a "quick connect" air fitting for that vs. one of the ones you can get from waLLY World. For everything else possible...PINK STUFF!!! I used to use air only and know from experience that it doesn't clear all the lines.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

mdecastra
Explorer
Explorer
I think you push the flush lever as the air is pushing through. It will flush the water into the commode.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
youngone wrote:
Don't forget the Black tank flush line!

What is the procedure that most use for doing this?
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
youngone wrote:

And ice maker.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
youngone wrote:

Oh Poopie, thanks for the reminder. Gotta do that today!!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
mdecastra wrote:
Hi,

Here is a good story for those who are new to Class A. I did my normal winterizing on my first winter. The spring time came and went out on a quick test trip.

When I hooked up the city water, there was a leak in my bathroom. With a little research, I determined it was a small line leading to my toilet. The winter froze the line (and the fitting the connects to toilet).

Long story short, don't forget to read all your manuals to see what devices have to be winterized. No one told me to winterize the toilet. All the winterize post have talked about blowing pipes and adding antifreeze, etc.

The toilet needs to be winterized manually to be sure the line is free from water and the toilet flushed to be sure no water in the fitting).

Great reminder!!!
Many of the articles on winterizing mention opening all faucets when blowing out the lines, but fail to mention the toilet flush valve should also be open, to expel any water trapped in that line.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you OP for not being afraid to post about a frozen water line.

Hmmm. Finally an honest post from someone who used the blow out the lines method of winterizing and experienced a broken water line. Most won't admit it!

Perhaps a good reminder for why using the pink stuff, that actually goes into each and every part of the water lines, just might be a better way winterize? :W:B

All you do is open all the faucets and run toilet until the water turns pink. That also puts antifreeze in the p-traps and toilet bowl. Done.

It is why "I" use the pink stuff method.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

youngone
Explorer
Explorer

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
Consider this your winterizing baptism. If there is any water in your rig....it must be removed for winter and replaced by air or antifreeze. This means sinks, shower, taps, toilets, toilet wash wands, outside shower, and fridges with water lines or ice makers. I will also add that you need to winterize the fresh water fill line by removing the metal filter basket/washer and pressing the black or white plunger to allow the water out. I wont let a dealer touch my rig to winterize as its robbery as far as im concerned...but mess up winterizing only once and you will wish you paid their price!!

Daryll
Also would add washer dryer faucets if equipped.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Consider this your winterizing baptism. If there is any water in your rig....it must be removed for winter and replaced by air or antifreeze. This means sinks, shower, taps, toilets, toilet wash wands, outside shower, and fridges with water lines or ice makers. I will also add that you need to winterize the fresh water fill line by removing the metal filter basket/washer and pressing the black or white plunger to allow the water out. I wont let a dealer touch my rig to winterize as its robbery as far as im concerned...but mess up winterizing only once and you will wish you paid their price!!

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
When reading these types of threads I often wonder if a maintenance upgrade that includes extra insulation would make a difference?

Having dealt with frozen pipes in multi dwellings it seems like a proactive stance.

Be better if RV manufacturers did this but it is what it is.

If the RV is unheated for the winter and it's consistently below freezing outside, no practical amount of insulation will keep the interior above freezing. Houses freeze if left unheated, even very well insulated houses.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
When reading these types of threads I often wonder if a maintenance upgrade that includes extra insulation would make a difference?

Having dealt with frozen pipes in multi dwellings it seems like a proactive stance.

Be better if RV manufacturers did this but it is what it is.

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
Anything with water needs it. All cold/hot water lines, outdoor showers, outdoor kitchens, toilet, etc. You should also pour antifreeze in your traps.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS