cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your rules for the awning?

cestlaviethree
Explorer
Explorer
Do you leave your awning out when you leave?

Do you trust wind sensors?

Do you use tie downs?

We love the awning's shade and versatility even more in the summer, but we have seen 4 RVs have their awnings ripped off in the last 2 months.

Thanks CLV3

www.cestlaviethree.com

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PTnoeqCbaPJolUwCEqXiA

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook...elpage/?fref=nf

Instagram Page:
https://www.instagra...cestlaviethree/
CLV3

Our Blog: www.cestlaviethree.com
82 REPLIES 82

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has the electric awning and it's easy to extend or retract. there's really no reason to leave it out when we're not using it, so it gets retracted when we leave the RV or go to bed. Otherwise, if the weather starts to turn, we'll put it in when we go inside.

When we did our walk through we were reminded that the awning was not designed to handle wind loads OR water loads. so roll that sucker up!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Losing the awning is one thing but in really high winds storm where it rips it out of its tie downs, then the arms etc start banging up against the RV which really can be a costly repair.

I watched an awning that had been tied down get ripped out of the ground and the awning becoming a sail and the arms where just slamming the heck out of the entire side of a TT over and over again by the wind.

Interestingly his CG neighbor jumped out of his RV during the storm with a buck knife and cut the guys awning to stop the arms from wrecking the TT.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
If we are going away, or for the night I bring it in. I have seen to many of them get ripped off and I have also run out in the middle of the night because of some pop up storm and start bringing it in. With the new electric awning it doesnt get much simpler to bring it in or out and I don't have to worry about it during the night either.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Awnings our all the time with tie-downs. Cork-screw ground spikes deep into the ground. If severe weather is coming, the awnings are retracted. Otherwise, they remain out at all times.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Use mine whenever we are camping but do pull it in if away for any extended period of time and the weather looks iffy. No tie downs.. yet.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Awning has survived a few strong wind storms over the last 2 summers. Last year we had a really strong storm roll through. NWS perdicted a severe thunder storm, but didn't mention anything about high winds. We had 80 mph gusts. The awning survived thanks to the tie downs we use. Ours has 7" springs that allow the awning to move gently when really windy and it keeps the anchors from being pulled out of the ground. The $15 springs did not survive, but the awning did. The 7" springs were stretched to about 2 feet long. Five campers received significant damage, 2 were completely destroyed.

This season, we had 2 storms roll through quickly with 40 - 50 mph gusts. We weren't at the camp site for either storm, they weren't predicted when we left. The awning was out and both the springs and awning survived.

If strong winds are in the forecast, we bring the awning in just to be safe. I know the tie downs will keep the awning safe, but I'd rather not tempt things. Our awning is electric, but does not have wind sensors. Our seasonal site is directly across from a farm, so no protection from trees. It is always windy here, even when there is no windy in the forecast. Some times it is a nice gentle breeze, sometimes its a profanity laced complaint inducing strong wind.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely use our awning and could really live without it. Really, the only time we bring it out is when we need to clean it. IUt have been deployed may 3 times in 5 years. We are full timers and do not see the point of having one. They are easily damaged and if I want to sit outside, I do so without deploying the awning.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

TexBohunk
Explorer
Explorer
My TT came with awning, but if it didn't I would NOT put one on. Don't use it o that often, but this is what I do. Only leave it out if I'm under it or at the TT, Wind gets above more than a breeze put it up, Storms or Rain coming put it up, Leave the camper at anytime or at night put it up.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
NO
NO
NO

X2 times 3
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NO
NO
NO

False sense of security:
Tilt the awning.
I full time and I have seen numerous 'tilted' awnings ripped off/broke because of wind and water puddling. Tilting them is not the be all end all of it not being damaged in a rain storm.

Nor is the tie downed awnings. They yank out of the ground in a heartbeat and then start slapping the side of the RV causing even more damage. .....Just an observance in my travels. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave our awning out with no tie downs almost all the time. We tilt it for rain and lower to the lowest setting during any storms. Now if the wind is predicted to be steady at 25mph with higher gusts we put the awning in,and it would depend on where we are. If we are in an area /state known to have a lot of wind we would just leave it rolled up and not use it. When traveling and stopping for just a night we don't put it out either. Only 1 time in 5 years have we had an upburst suddenly and we were right there to get it in so there was no damage. If we were leaving for overnight or longer we would put it in. I also think there is a difference on what type of awning you have. The newer ones are very light weight and no comparison to the heavy canvas type awnings we have. The weight alone helps hold it down.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
When we leave...close the awning and shut off the water at the spigot.

X2
Proud father of a US Marine

cestlaviethree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

I will say I was very skeptical of the tie down straps, but there is a fella in our campground who left his awning out during a 40mph gusting storm. Two RVs received damaged while his remained unharmed. meh luck I guess.

Either way I'll keep this awning tucked away.

Thanks again.
CLV3

Our Blog: www.cestlaviethree.com

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our awning use is based on the area we're in and the expected weather conditions. We do tie it down when we'll be stationary for an extended period and the weather forecast is relatively clear. Especially when there are seasonal or permanent RV's in the park that have obviously had their awnings out for months or even years. If high winds or storms are a possibility, of course it gets retracted. "Rules"? We don't have any awning "rules". What we have is common sense...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Gee whiz, most of you should just opt out of an awning. I leave mine out with some precautions. Tilted heavily to one end and lowered as much as possible.

I'm not hearing anyone say that we don't use our awnings. I use mine a LOT (full-timer). I just retract it when conditions are threatening or being left unattended.

Not all awnings are the same, some cannot be "tilted" or "lowered". Mine, for example, deploys straight out and the support legs are very high (out of head cracking level) without any means of adjustment.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures