cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you wish you bought sooner?

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
First of all hello there newbie here. My wife and I are close to picking up our new Cougar 5th wheel and since I inherited my dads old truck that had everything needed to tow a 5th wheel the dealer gave us $400 to spend in the store at the dealership instead of a brake controller and hitch and the first visit is on the salemans discount pricing. So my question what have you found as being a wish you had bought sooner. I have heard a longer main power cord is a definite as the one that comes with the trailer might not always be long enough. I know TP and all that other stuff but what were the nice to have things that would be useful? Thanks in advance I have read a lot on here and hope to contribute some too.
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel
42 REPLIES 42

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD TIRES. Get rid of the China junk.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
6 point auto leveling system , we got the Equalizer Systems hydraulic type & .
HAPPPY.
Slide toppers & the vent covers. All these our dealer could have gotten us to buy when new.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
my wife's engagement ring the day I met her, rather than 7 years later
Hardwired Progressive EMS
upgraded fan for the bathroom
pop-up canopy to give shade on really sunny days or protect from rain
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Solar freed us to boondock. I couldn't imagine rving without it now.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies it definitely gives me some stuff to look into. I am definitely putting on the vent covers for sure. The trailer has auto level already so that will be helpful. The voltage regulator I will definitely look into also. Looks like a good sewer longer sewer hose would be good too. Thanks again for all the replies
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Anderson Levelers X3 and Voltage monitor/surge protector X2 definitely. Maybe an "on demand" water heater if your DW likes nice long hot showers.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Solar panels, a good charge controler, and extra batteries!
I just love being able to use anything but the A/C in the woods
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the EMS/surge protector and convert all light bulbs to LED as my no.1. 2nd place is a top notch sewer hose along with the vent covers. You may already have a good suspension wet bolt system but if it does not its something to put on the list to upgrade....and GOOD tires.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
Maxx Air covers, woven patio mat, BAL wheel chocks, lynx levelers, sewer hose and support...
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resist the temptation to buy a bunch of fluffy stuff. A 50amp Progressive Industries surge protector. Think of it as insurance to save the sensitive stuff inside. Can't go wrong with a trailer suspension upgrade like the Equa Flex system & wet bolts as already suggested. Put the money towards a good air pinbox system. You can't have too much power for dry camping. Extra battery & a PURE sine wave inverter, 1000W minimum.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2 water hoses, 25'-30' each.

Electric adapters (30A to 15A, 30A to 50A). Small electric space heater. Fan(s). Flashlights and batteries.

Can opener !

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
One of those coiling, see through hoses that I can just gather up and shove into the storage instead of struggling with a stiff RV hose that won't coil when cold. But, can't drink from the see through one as it's not drinking water safe.
Jayco-noslide

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming it doesn't come with them, vent covers would be my #1 recommended accessory purchase. (I don't actually wish I had got them sooner, as my RV came with them installed by the previous owner.) Being able to have/leave the roof skylight vents open when it's rainy or might be rainy is a tremendously useful thing.

Other recommended odds and ends include (preferably dogbone style) power adapters so you can plug into 50A, 30A, or 15A outlets; a (decent quality) water pressure regulator; the extra hoses etc. mentioned already; and maybe a couple replacement cargo compartment door hold-open catches, if you have the spring loaded plastic claw style, as they tend to be a bit on the fragile side.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
1) Extra sections of sewer hose, 2) vent covers, 3) if your FW has standard propane stove top, I would buy an induction burner like the NuWave, 4) if you enjoy cooking outdoors, invest in some good cast iron cookware including a dutch oven.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I carry an extra power, sewer and water hose. Don't need them often, but if you're a foot too short...
For entertainment, I have a roof mounted satellite antenna that searches the sky for a connection. I use Dish, because they have more than one satellite transmitter. The only time I couldn't get a signal, I was about half way north in Alaska. Caused by the earth's curvature. DVDs filled in for it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.