cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where shall we stop on the way to WA?

sharibartling
Explorer
Explorer
I am the planner of all planners...husband goes crazy. But I always have to have details and a plan.
We are leaving from western NE to Vancouver, WA end of May. Any suggestions where the best places are to stop for the night along the way? we have a 40" MH, need 50 amp and have 2 dogs.....and our travel will be during the Memorial day weekend so I told husband I really feel we need to get 1 reservation for the 26th. We will travel all the way through Wyo, wont need to stop in Utah (probably) need something in Idaho and probably WA?? any suggestions out there? I have tons of research sites (including this one ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks in advance.
shari B
Nebraska
13 REPLIES 13

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
When we do the "out west" trip, we get to mid-Nebraska the first day, then pull into Curt Gowdy State Park the 2nd day. It is located between Cheyenne and Laramie right here. We VERY much like camping on top of the hill looking down into the reservoir. The scenery is fantastic and it is not far off the Interstate.

If you're ever in the Yellowstone Park vicinity, check out another favorite State Park of ours: Henry's Lake in Idaho This may not be close to your outbound route, but it might on your return. This park has fantastic fishing, no bears, great accomodations AND... Peace....Quiet...Scenery...Quiet...Peace.... Not at all like campgrounds in Yellowstone!

Have fun on your trip! Take lots of photos!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gotsmart wrote:
I have friends who winter in AZ and summer in WA. On their trek north they always stop at Ambassador RV Resort in Caldwell, Idaho. They have only good things to say about the resort.

This is an excellent stop just after passing through busy Boise, Idaho. It's a mile or so from I-84 so you won't hear interstate noise. The sites are huge and easy in/out for big rigs. The facilities are spotless (pool, clubhouse, library, individual private full bathrooms, laundry). There's a Flying J at the exit for fueling and it also has a nice restaurant. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Boardman Marina and County Park just on the other side of Pendleton a few miles is a great little park. It's right on the river with good sized campsites.

We have also gone across the river at Hermiston and stayed at the Wine Country RV Park in Prosser. We don't travel the Gorge when we go that way, but go through Yakima and head over the mountain from there. Lots of spots to stop for wine tasting on that route, if that's something you are interested in.

There is a state park in Yakima, but the mosquitos will eat you alive!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing the route would help. There is a KOA in Twin Falls-Jerome Idaho that meets your criteria. If you take a more northern route, we like Hells Canyon RV Resort in Clarkston WA.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We like to use RoadSide America when traveling. Maybe you can find something of interest?
Enjoy your travels.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have friends who winter in AZ and summer in WA. On their trek north they always stop at Ambassador RV Resort in Caldwell, Idaho. They have only good things to say about the resort.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are decent rv parks in Pendleton OR and several OR state parks along the Columbia River.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
From NE all the way across WY is a long drive. I have done it many times with all the elevation changes in WY and the windy conditions you may not make it through with out stopping. I would plan on stopping in Rawlings there are many choices that will handle your MH very well. Next stop usually for us is around Twin Falls ID. There are many options there also all large enough for your rig. You will have to go over the Blue Mts right as you enter Oregon on I-84 Should be no issue there is one real long down hill grade coming into Pendelton OR. The rest of the trip is not bad I-84 is nice drive down the Gourge with spectacular Views. Safe Travels

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Fishinghat wrote:
What are your interests? How much time do you expect to spend in route?

I would assume you would want to spend time in Yellowstone. A day at Mt Saint Helen's could be interesting. Checking out the Puget Sound Navy Yard and eating dinner at the Space Needle in Seattle might be fun. Ridding on our huge Washington State Ferries would be enjoyable for someone from the mid-west since they are like large ships with restaurants, but a sight seeing ride is something like $10.

Once up in BC, you could take the BC ferry over to Vancouver Island, and drive up the coast. That could be a trip you might really enjoy since it is so primitive.

Ackkkk What is so primitive on Vancouver Island?? Our wigwams are open for business as soon as the igloos melt and the ice flows recede! How dare you! Most of the 7-11's are open from 9 until 5 if snow conditions allow parking too!

Compared to our bumper to bumper traffic and wall to wall houses, you guys live in a form of heaven. Years ago we cruised in our boat up the outside up to Ucluelet, stopping at Port Renfrew on the way. It was an exciting and wonderful trip. Having a US power boat cruise out in the open ocean was so unusual that the RCMP boat checked us out, probably to rule out drug running. They were very polite. We also stayed several times at Nanaimo before crossing over to Powell River. That is also a very nice town with wonderful people.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to Vancouver, WA (not B. C. Canada), you will want to drive I-84 along the Columbia Gorge. It is really interesting as it changes from arid to wet as you segue from eastern Oregon to west. I don't know of any hills from a bit east of The Dalles but I believe there are some near Pendleton? It is an easy drive. From I-84 take I-205 north WA 14 then west to Vancouver. Do NOT drive to I-5 through Portland. It can be crowded and there are some confusing exits. Enjoy our state.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

sharibartling
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to see family in WA and on the way back we want to go to Yellowstone. Will be in WA for a month (June) lived there for 2 years so have seen a lot of it. just wondering about the trip there via the highways and good spots to stay along the way. probably 2 or 3 one nighters but reasonable and safe. we are going I 80 then through Utah, and I 84 the rest of the way.
Thanks

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:

I would assume you would want to spend time in Yellowstone. A day at Mt Saint Helen's could be interesting. Checking out the Puget Sound Navy Yard and eating dinner at the Space Needle in Seattle might be fun. Ridding on our huge Washington State Ferries would be enjoyable for someone from the mid-west since they are like large ships with restaurants, but a sight seeing ride is something like $10.

Once up in BC, you could take the BC ferry over to Vancouver Island, and drive up the coast. That could be a trip you might really enjoy since it is so primitive.

Ackkkk What is so primitive on Vancouver Island?? Our wigwams are open for business as soon as the igloos melt and the ice flows recede! How dare you! Most of the 7-11's are open from 9 until 5 if snow conditions allow parking too!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow