cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter storage

Takamine
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, it's time to close up the TT for the year. I'm planning to leave it parked beside of the garage, which will help shield it from the winter winds. When not used in the summer, I keep it plugged in with the refrigerator running. For winter, I'm thinking of unplugging the unit, pulling the battery. Does anyone keep their's plugged in over the winter?

Thanks
2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150
8 REPLIES 8

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go buy it and go camping. Sooner or later you'll figure it out for yourself.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
In winter unplug mine and remove battery and leave it n the side of the house
Not sure why I would leave it plugged in its all covered up

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smart converter then it's your choice - I keep my RV plugged in largely because it keeps my chassis battery charged up and if ice storm and loose power I can retreat to rig without having to lug batteries etc.
Kevin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
During the season I keep our trailer here at the house, plugged in 24/7 but ONLY because the trailer itself is protected from a variety of incoming source power errors by a Progressive EMS ... if it weren't no way I'd leave it plugged in, as the OP seems to be planning to do over the winter. For winter storage I strip the trailer and bring the battery into my workshop where I can periodically put it on a stand alone charger.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
When not in use and stored in our side yard our rig is plugged in 24/7. During active RVing season fridge is on and stocked, with batteries always fully charged we can simply hitch up and go in a moments notice.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We keep MH plugged in , batteries in place, refer on with some type of product inside(water) and small heater on.
Leaving refer on helps to prevent the cooling unit from rusting out.
Placing products in refer helps to make it work.
In the event of power outages in house, we have a place ready for occupancy.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Most people with the capability do stay plugged in all winter. Keeping the batteries charged will prevent freezing damage and will allow you to run stuff (furnace etc) over the winter to keep things limbered up. I think you should shut the fridge off though, open it up and let it air out.

If you unplug, pull the batteries and put them on a shelf in the garage. If you want you can put a battery minder on it, or just charge it up in the spring.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox