Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10 Places to avoid with your RV

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Link

The author had to dig deep to come up with this list, some of the places are just silly.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
28 REPLIES 28

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
To your point about tractor trailers: I agree. All big cities are infested with Tractor trailers even in neighborhoods. (think the big United Moving Van at more than 70 feet.)

Jacob Javits trade center in downtown NYC? filled by Those guys. and the same is true for every city. It really has to do more with your confidence level driving your RV and your patience. They will fit almost anywhere.

The article was a waste of bandwidth in my opinion. And should be widely ignored.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most urban areas are hostile territory for any RV. The bigger they are, the more hostile. That was a prime reason for us to go to a 5ver rather than a Class A or C. Not that we spend a lot of time in cities tho we did do DC and Boston in one trip and have stopped at the Alamo.

-----------------------------------------------
The Dalton Hwy is great and should be seen ABSOLUTELY NO problem for your RV
-----------------------------------------------

My thoughts exactly, if large tractor-trailers run up and down that road it seems likely that your RV should have no problem. I understand that there is a campground about at the Arctic Circle line and when we get up the I would probably leave the RV there and drive the truck the rest of the way. Tho hear that the rest of the trip is a let down from expectations.

BK
Superbumper

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the fall of 2015 we traveled from CA to Maine to see the fall colors in our relatively small (24 foot) Class C. In many places it was a white knuckle zoo dodging in and around all those day-trippers in their little SUV puddle-jumpers. The only other place we have driven (we have been to many states) that comes close to that traffic mess is maybe right here in Silicon Valley. During this Eastern U.S. trip we REALLY wanted to visited the Statue of Liberty. We passed it up due to not wanting to put up with driving in all that traffic in our RV.

The trip above was the same trip in which we started out from CA with another couple in their 24 foot Class C RV. They totaled it in IOWA due to trafific in a city and had to leave us and return to CA in a rented van. I'd much rather take our Class C out in the middle of nowhere boondock camping than take it in anywhere near today's typical traffic around populated areas.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Most of the places listed are common sense and well known places to avoid. I don't think the author had to dig too deep. I'm sure there are other areas depending on how large your rig is. If you travel , you learn of more places everyday. We have added large cities and expressways as things to avoid in our travels.

I am sorry but I have to disagree empatically.

I have had my RV a 33 foot trailer (with my truck 53 feet overall) in most of those places.

The Dalton Hwy is great and should be seen ABSOLUTELY NO problem for your RV

St Louis..stayed there more than a week and loved it. No problems

San Francisco: depends on how you define "downtown" if you are crossing the Golden Gate you are driving thru Downtown. Most of SF is fine for an RV. The hilly parts should be avoided.

Madison Campground. Is just fine and you should see Yellowstone no matter where you have to stay.

California State Hwy 1. An absolutely wonderful drive and possible in 99% of all RV's with no problems. This is scenery at it's most majestic outside of Alaska.

Death Valley is a gem and should be seen. It is RV friendly and it's campgrounds are just fine. It's especially good if you have a toad or have a tow vehicle so that you can get Off Road. And many of the Off Road routes are just fine for a decent car.

Dont let this silly article put you off going to these places.

The guy who wrote that article is either an idiot or lives in fear of his own shadow or both.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the list. I have been to all of them and they are no place for an RV.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I-75 thru Atlanta has had a terrible reputation for years. One that is undeserved in my experience. I'm not a resident of the area but I have been driving thru it several times a year for decades.
1) Will you see a slowdown going thru? Most likely but they rarely slow you down more than 20-30 minutes. Less if you have at least two people in the vehicle and use the HOV lane any alternative route will burn more time than that.
2) If you think about taking I-410, don't it's always worse. It is non-stop rush hour. I don't recall seeing a 30 or 40 vehicle backup to get on one of the off-ramps on any other Interstate. Now I do confess I essentially know nothing of the eastern/midwest cities, Chicago, DC or LA since I do my darnedest to avoid them.
Superbumper

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Madison Campground in May of 2016. No problems at all. I'm sure it's crowded in the summer. I would also add the Baltimore/ DC Beltway and I-75 around Atlanta. We have done both more than once and won't do them again.Another place I wouldn't take the trailer again is Poe Valley State Park in Pa. The road in and out is about 8 miles of dirt.We were lucky we didn't pass any RV's going in or coming out because the road is narrow at many places.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I-90 in Chicago isn't bad - definitely seems like a list for folks who can't wait for autonomous RVs...
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We go thru St Louis every year, right thru that narrow little road out the other side into the delights of the show me state. We spend time in Sedalia at the Missouri state fair grounds visiting family. The fair grounds are nothing to write home about, but you can ( if it is not fair week in late August) get full hookups. Only 30 amps, but hey, some is better than none. Then we headon back through making the trip home. Love seeing that Arch!
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I would put CAMPING WORLD SERVICE AS THE NUMBER ONE PLACE TO AVOID!!!!!!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, here's us camping off a 4X4 road in Death Valley (in March, however):

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention: Costco and/or McDonald's parking lots, skinny, curvy residential neighborhoods with cars parked tightly on both sides, dead end roads. Pulling my TT, I have tried them all from time to time. Guys like me hopefully learn from making these mistakes.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Blatz
Explorer
Explorer
Getting around Chicago on I90 is just a matter of timing .Before 5:00am on week days and before 7:00 on the weekends

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, the author of that list hasta been some kind of sissy. ๐Ÿ™‚

I towed our old 20' TT through San Francisco once and also a loaded car trailer another time. No problem at all except for potholes and lack of long parking spots. Latest issue of Trailer Life has an article where they towed a 28' TT through Manhattan so it can't be that bad. Heck, I'd do it just to prove it can be done... Hwy 1 north of San Fran. is crazy twisty and SLOW. I tried it once in a sports car and turned back after only a few miles. Some people do take RVs there tho.

Going through Seattle is about the only no go place for us and we avoid it at all costs when towing our TT.