cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v coolers

k9jadon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, our last camping trip into the Eastern Sierras where the temp stayed near 92 for a week and a half has caused my to look into buying a 12v freezer/fridge cooler. Such as: Dometic CFX75DZW 12v Electric Powered Cooler, Fridge Freezer. We spent a lot of money on ice, and I want peace of mind that our food won't go bad. So I was hoping to get some insight from anyone here who has experience with this type of product. We have a tent trailer with no real means for refrigeration, and so must rely on a cooler. We go for multiple weeks when we go so I think I need a cooler that is at least 75 qts, since our current cooler is around 110 qts. So what should I be looking for, any thoughts? Thank you for your help.

Eric
20 REPLIES 20

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic 75DZ Update: Had it running for 11 days now, filling it up with some of the bulk food items I've been busy in the kitchen with. Just a few items, a few of which I put in thawed, to see how the unit would perform in freezing... I must say, I'm very pleased with this mobile fridge/freezer. Been holding steady at 5 degrees since the beginning. Not as cheap s the ICECO, which I'm sure is a great unit, just noting my Dometic appears to have been a wise and prudent purchase. Very happy!

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
We have a ICECO VL45. Works great. I too got sick of ice melting and making everything soggy. We use it in our Jeep when road tripping. Cools to 0*F. Uses 42 watts while running. I leave it in Jeep 24/7 running while on road trip. Has low voltage protection setting to save battery if wanted. Uses Danfoss compressor as do the larger ICECO sizes. They go on sale every so often. Got mine on amazon for $413.

And I cannot stress enough how much better it is than a cooler. I have Yeti's, Rtic's, generics of those brands, and they all suck. An ICECO is close to the same $$$ as a Yeti and so much better.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr_andyj wrote:
Most all of these use the Danfoss brand compressor, or a china copy of it. All the Danfoss ones, no matter the brand, should perform very similarly.

Engle calls it a "Sling" compressor. I use "Danfoss" as the Generic (Well "Danfoss Class")
The only thing I do not like about my Apincool (Spelling?) is the compressor it says proudly is an LG

And I've never been all that lucky (Before) With Goldstar products.
Though I admit my Dometic (Really LG) Microwave has lasted a long time after I did a bit of re-engineering, Slightly enlarging a hole and replacing one of the LG parts with a better built GE part.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a ARB 50qt for about a year on my work truck, it sits in the back of my crew cab. When I first got it I ran it off two Trojan T105s, I would fully charge the batteries on the weekends. With it alone I could power it for over a week with no charging set at 34 degrees, this is baking in the cab of my truck with no extra insulation. We got to 111 degrees north of Seattle and it kept temp at probably 130 or better inside the cab. It draws .42amps @ 120v.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i use an arb cooler was about 1200 for everything cools to 0 in 100f temps. uses 4.5 amps when running. controllable by phone via BT

Cooler

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Most all of these use the Danfoss brand compressor, or a china copy of it. All the Danfoss ones, no matter the brand, should perform very similarly.
The Dometic I have heard very good things about.

I have two units so know some.
I first got an ARB which was one compartment, and I got where I could freeze stuff on the bottom, where the coils are, lay a towel over that and refrigerate things on top of the towel.
You say 2 weeks at a time, so being able to freeze things makes food way easier.

Then I upgraded to an Iceco with two compartments. I chose Iceco because I would independently control each compartment, shutting one off even, individually. Turning off the freezer when not needed will draw a lot less power.

You will do good with two GC batteries. The solar will be needed. How many watts? 200 is a good number and with sun you can power it indefinitely with a little power to spare. Be careful to use other DC items early in the day so there is time for batts to get to a high state of charge before the sun is gone.

Cover the fridge, and wrap it in exterior insulation to save even more energy.

I dont ever see myself going back to a propane fridge for a vehicle.

Coolers and ice are a nightmare, even for a day trip, as I have had it with soggy bread and gross tasting veggies, but it is cheap.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
k9jadon wrote:
Hello everyone, our last camping trip into the Eastern Sierras where the temp stayed near 92 for a week and a half has caused my to look into buying a 12v freezer/fridge cooler. Such as: Dometic CFX75DZW 12v Electric Powered Cooler, Fridge Freezer. We spent a lot of money on ice, and I want peace of mind that our food won't go bad. So I was hoping to get some insight from anyone here who has experience with this type of product. We have a tent trailer with no real means for refrigeration, and so must rely on a cooler. We go for multiple weeks when we go so I think I need a cooler that is at least 75 qts, since our current cooler is around 110 qts. So what should I be looking for, any thoughts? Thank you for your help.

Eric

How coincidental...

I recently (Memorial Day sale) bought the Dometic 75DZ, and as a test, set it for 5 degrees, and threw in some foods I planned to freeze... sure enough, the next day, food was frozen solid. I like the dual-zone idea, and was looking for something to use much as you do. I also like that it runs on both AC and DC, with long enough cords for any plug.

It's been 6 days since I put food to freeze in it, including ice cream, and so far, I am not disappointed. Pricey, yes, but to me, worth every penny if it does what it's advertised to do. I bought it mainly for boondocking applications, and the preparation of bulk food in preparation for a trip, so I have plenty of room for food storage.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should add the unit I linked to on Amazon and the one I have on order and the one I used to use are all compressor type

I've used the peltier coolers They are good for oh, about 30 degrees below room temp.. Not cold enough for me.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a workable link on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3qWbPJB

In addition to coolers, ice chest I also have a powerful 20" floor fan powered by my Firman 2000 inverter generator. All 3 settings are high volume and causes no generator surging or decay using econo quiet mode. The loud noise of my fan drowns out the noise of other loud mouth campers and their and I sleep okay. Small pop up shade shelter is also handy, etc. Cheers to the good guys.

I enjoy being a bully to the bullies on another forum

k9jadon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. If I get one I am definitely going to run it off of my 2 golf cart batts. I have the harbor freight solar panels that seem to do a great job keeping my batts charged. So I figure it should do the trick powering the cooler during the day with the trailer batteries helping out during the heavy power draw times, and at night of course. Well thanks again, especially for the cheaper options.

Eric

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had one of these for about 18 months, and itโ€™s been running continuously in my garage keeping my beer cold. It will freeze it if I set it too low.

F40C4TMP

When I first got it, I ran it at its lowest setting long enough to freeze water. This is a picture of its power consumption, according to my Kill-A-Watt. Itโ€™s displaying WATTS, and the compressor was running at the time.

Edit: I fixed the broken link. Hopefully it will stay working this time.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
"Powered" coolers fall into 2 categories: true compressor refrigerators/freezer and peltier coolers. Skip the second group because the don't perform well in hot weather and ca eat a lot of power.

No experience with different brands but the good ones work just like your home refrigerator. The biggest problem you will have is supplying power 24/7 for the time you are camping. I would NOT run if off the car battery unless the engine is running !

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Alpicool bd75. 79 quarts 60 watts $502

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some that are getting downright cheap
I have one on the docks in China waiting for a slow boat
I have one in my other room This is the one in the other room

It is currently ZERO per the display. this has areas. the big area is zero (Or whatever I set it at) the small area in the rear is warmer (*Above freezing for the most part)

Power draw is less than 50 watts

I had an ENGEL (much more expensive back in 2005) same size worked well up till this summer 36 watts. IT was like 800 bucks as I recall.

The one in China is supposed to come with solar panels. I'm starting to go at lest partially solar here.