cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v outlet question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new trailer doesn't have a 12v outlet near the tv. The tv is near the back of the trailer in a slide. I can't figure out how to run the wires from the battery back to the tv area to add a 12v outlet.

I'm wanting to add this outlet because I mostly boondock and I have a 600w inverter that plugs into a 12v socket and the tv plugs into the inverter so I can watch some tv.

So I had another idea....what if I add another outlet up front close to the batteries, I can do this easily, then plug In the inverter there and use an extension cord over to the tv (tv plugs into extension cord). Will this work?

Anybody have any other ideas to do this easily?

TIA!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You have a 120V AC television, correct?
Is there an AC outlet near the TV?
Even if there isnโ€™t, wire the inverter directly to the battery (fused) or nearby off the 12V fuse panel/distribution block. If direct from the battery doesnโ€™t matter which battery if theyโ€™re 12v batteries in parallel. If 6V series wires batteries then you need to hook to the +/- posts going to the load, not the series jumper wire posts.
Wire the inverter into the AC electrical system in the camper then you can use the inverter off of any plug in the camper.
Then plug in TV direct or ext cord from a 120v outlet somewhere.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Install the inverter as close "electrically" as the inverter wires will allow. You lose a lot quickly if you start running long wires from the battery. There is a reason the standard electricity is AC versus DC.

You can then just plug the rv into the inverter using dogbones or whatever is necessary.

However, you must turn off all breakers and especially the one that feeds the rv charging system. Then turn on just the breaker that feeds the tv area.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since our explanations are confusing, just believe us when we say put the inverter as close to the battery as possible.

Since you are wanting to run a 12v wire from the battery to the TV, instead, run a 120v wire from the inverter, very close to the battery, to the TV and install an outlet powered from that inverter. There is no difference in how the wire is run, and it will be MUCH more efficient. And, you can get away with running MUCH smaller wire.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
campermama wrote:
So I had another idea....what if I add another outlet up front close to the batteries, I can do this easily, then plug In the inverter there and use an extension cord over to the tv (tv plugs into extension cord). Will this work?

Anybody have any other ideas to do this easily?

TIA!

Yes. by all means. and I will tell you why.

Let us assume the TV draws 100 watts. (Note this is not what it draws or rather I'd be very surprised if it was but it's a nice easy number to work with)

At 120 volts that's not even 1 amp. Fairly light weight wire can carry it with next to no voltage loss and even if there is loss what's 2 or even 5 volts (less than 10 percent heck less than 5 percent)

Now. Due to conservation effiecency and other things I use 10 volts to calculate the 12 volt side draw. so 100 watts will draw About 10 amps.

That means you need 10 times the wire to get the same votage loss. and 5 volts.. is now almost half your battery voltage Even a 1 or 2 volt loss will shut down the inverter.

So mount the inverter as close to the battery as you can (But not in the same air-space, inverter needs to breath clean air not battery fumes).

Use heavy cable. heavier than the inverter maker suggests

Either use "zip" type cables (Like lamp cord the red and black are joined side by side) or tape the hot and ground together (Like a wire loom) for as much of the run as possible.

But put the inverter near the battery

Hook up is .. Battery +--Fuse--Inverter back to battery - 2nd fuse suggested but I do not think necessary on an RV house system.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lower wattage inverter would make this easier. Add up the load of the TV and anything else needed (antenna amplifier? radio?) to do what you want. The chances are very good it's a lot less than 600W.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I appreciate all the replies but you guys are getting way over my head. I need the easiest/simplest way to do this.
Trailer has a front bedroom, inverter can sit right beside the bed. Wire can run straight down through the front compartment to the batteries.

My Adventure Blog:

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œAlso, what gauge wire should I use, and what size fuse?โ€œ

Wire gauge canโ€™t be determined until you confirm the distance and if the wire will carry 12 or 110 volts.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Fisherman wrote:
That works, keep the inverter as close to the battery as you can.

Definitely. 600 watts is 50 amps at 12 volts but only 5 amps at 120 volts.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I know you replied with questions but going to skip those for now. Smarter guys than me are going to read your replies.

Pictures of the trailer would help to get clever with inverter placement. Especially where your circuit breakers are and also a panel with all the switches.

Dont need a close up. Further away is better. The goal is to find the best spot to get 12v power, instead of running wires from the batteries directly. You already have a ton of 12v inside the trailer. To run a TV you wont need much so you can borrow power from something like a powered awning. Fuel pump. Rear exterior lights you never use.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have space for the inverter close to the fuse/breaker panel?
If yes consider mounting the inverter right there. Get 12v power from the main battery feed. Use a small transfer switch to power up the single branch circuit that goes to the tv.

https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch $50

If by chance the fridge is also on that circuit you will need to set it to propane only. If the converter happens to be on that circuit will need to find the best way to de-power it.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Do you bounce the 600w inverter between vehicles? Instead of going through the process of adding a cigarette lighter, the inverter would perform better if hardwired.

No, only use it in the trailer.
So you mean wire it right to the batteries? I would have to add some wire to it. I have two batteries, would you wire it to one battery? Or both (can you do that?)

My Adventure Blog:

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Do you bounce the 600w inverter between vehicles? Instead of going through the process of adding a cigarette lighter, the inverter would perform better if hardwired.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, what gauge wire should I use, and what size fuse?

My Adventure Blog:

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
That works, keep the inverter as close to the battery as you can.