cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st time boondocking and could not get our AC to work

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
We did our 1st time boondocking trip this last weekend with our 2008 fleetwood mallard and sadly we could not get our A/C to work. My husband is now convinced we need a new generator where as I think maybe there may be some other options. We have a 13,500 BTU A/C. and a Champion 3400 starting watts/3100 running watts. We tested the unit at home after doing the generator break in, on the 1st attempt we overloaded the generator, I did some reading and took a different approach, 1st just turning on the fan for about 15 min then switching over to the AC on the thermostat. This seemed to do the trick and I was confident we had nailed it..not so much. I am hoping you good folks could maybe give some guidance maybe some suggestions. We were able to get it to come on once this weekend and it seemed that when the compressor kicked in this was when the overload would happen.or if it didnt overload it sure dogged out..
If I started out with the fan on only sometimes when I kicked it to AC the generator would overload,fan would stop, If I could get the system to take the change over to the A/C with the thermostat set higher if I lowered the thermostat most times it overloaded the generator.
Here is where I think we may have made some mistakes..
1) we did have our battery disconnect switched to ON- do you think it was directing power to try to charge the deep cells- I was under the impression this should be set to ON even when connected to shore power/gen power. Our the deep cells were reading full(ish) hard to tell as our meter only goes in quarter settings not % but I just watched a youtube stating this may have pulled power from the generator lowering the available wattage??
2) I was running fridge on 100% propane so I don't think that would have pulled a draw
3) we were using an 30 amp extension cord direct from our TT cord- when we tried at home we were connected direct into the TT/Gen and still got a overload
4) we were at 5,000 plus feet... I know this lowers a generators output(i am guessing about 15%) .. however we are at sea level at home and still had overload issues.
I am thinking we may need to install some sort of Hard Start Capacitor..
Thoughts??
39 REPLIES 39

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
and it was Senator Everette McKinley Dirksen not Mike Mansfield.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We had an issue in our brand new camper on the second trip out with it. First trip out it worked fine but we were on shore power for that trip. On the second trip it would stop working a lot like you describe when using the generator. We attempted to use only that one AC instead of both, but that didn't matter. Rear one worked fine. We ended up having the AC unit itself replaced and that fixed it. The generator was an on board 5500 Onan so it wasn't an issue of not having enough power.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to know is that an AC unit draws 50-60 amps inrush current on momentary startup, compared to around 12-15 amps running current. Inrush current can cause generators to struggle or stall which is why larger generators and/or hard-start capacitors can overcome this. Your gen. size should be adequate.

A hard-start capacitor or Micro-Air Easy-start unit reduces inrush current, enabling AC units to start up. A hard-start capacitor which are around $30 or less compared to $300+ for an Easy-Start unit. Could be that your existing capacitor may need replacement or sometimes weren't supplied by the manufacturer. Good article here.

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running your generator in eco mode when trying to start the AC. My 2800/3100 champion would stall or overload most of the time if it was on Economy throttle. If I kick Eco. Off it will start my AC easily.
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Keep guessing, or start measuring. Your AC should run on less than 3100 watts. "Something" is reducing the amount available. Refrigerator may be switching to electric automatically, converter may be charging battery, or something else.

Get a kill a watt or similar and "know" where the power is going. At a minimum, turn all the breakers except the one serving the AC Off and see what happens.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
melloftus wrote:
I am thinking we may need to install some sort of Hard Start Capacitor.. Thoughts??

I wouldn't waste the time or $$ installing a hard start cap which will only result in a marginal improvement vs installing a Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit on your A/C. Quite a few forum members now own an Easy Start and report excellent results.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you first use the generator the battery charger is going to pull 5+ amps. There is no reason to wait 15 minutes before trying to start the compressor...30 seconds is long enough. I would try shutting the battery charger/converter off at the 120V circuit breaker and start the AC (your generator is big enough to start just the AC unit) and then turn the charger on. If this doesnโ€™t work then a hard start kit is in your future.
Hopefully by the time the AC cycles off the batteries have been changed enough that the AC will start.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
1) Yes, this is probably why. A 3400 watt generator should be plenty, but if you have a large battery bank AND a converter sized to properly charge it, it is possible to overload even a 3400 watt generator. This is why the rigs with built in generators often have 4,000 watt and up generators.

It is easy to draw too much power. It adds up. The converter uses a little just to run, much more if it's trying to charge the batteries, a few lights, refer control board, ditto the water heater control board. A few watts here, a few watts there, and pretty soon we're talking about a real draw. (With apologies to Mike Mansfield.) And then you fire up the AC.

The usual RV battery condition idiot lights are mostly worthless. If you start a trip with the batteries at full charge, there will be enough current from the TV to run tail lights, turn signals, and maybe the refer control board, so maybe you will arrive with batteries still full. Shut the truck off, however, and they start discharging. But it will be some time before the idiot light will report anything other than full. Fire up the generator, and the converter jumps in, sees less than full voltage, and slaps full bulk-charge power to the batteries. Two hours later, when the converter is scheduled to cut charge down to maintenance level, THEN you would be free of that load. Mostly. But you are right, you probably should leave the battery cutoff ON when running the generator.

2) not exactly. The Refer does use a small amount of 12 volt power for the control board. Ditto the water heater. Not much, but a little.

3) Not sure what this looks like.

4) Being at more than 5,000 feet no doubt played a part.

A Hard Start Capacitor would probably help. Worth a try.

Good luck figuring this out before the next boon docking adventure.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
A/C starting capacitors wear out. At 10 years, you might need one.
Yes, the batteries charging might be enough to push it over the limit.
What about a water heater......electric ??

Your generator sounds a bit small for the task.

I don't understand your comment about the extension cord.
The main power cord for the trailer should either be plugged into shore power OR into the output plug from the generator.

And finally exactly what happens when the "overload" occurs ? Does it trip a 30 amp breaker ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That generator should power your AC just fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad